The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
What is more important to you?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

rededdie
Posted 2007-01-09 9:51 PM (#122500 - in reply to #122450)
Subject: Re: What is more important to you?

Playability or tone might be why we keep a guitar, but if you have ever bought a guitar without physically playing it(ebay) word of mouth or playing a similar unit might be why you bought it
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2007-01-09 10:10 PM (#122501 - in reply to #122450)

I usually try a guitar becuase it looks good, then listen to how it really sounds. If the playability is as good as the looks and the sound we have a winner!

colt357
Posted 2007-01-09 11:02 PM (#122502 - in reply to #122450)

The ultimate double edged sword...looks without playability and great sound is just art.

A guitar can have glitz up the yahzoo and be nothing but a expensive wall hanger. Point in fact... I know a guy with a beautiful D-45 that plays just OK and doesn't sound too bad, but given a choice I would take his beat up old D-35 that looks like hell but plays and sounds, to my ear, absolutely fantastic.

If the instrument does not sound pleasant to my ears and I have to fight the action for every note, my enjoyment is severly compromised and the instrument will not call to me to pick it up.

I do not have the economic freedom to be able to have a large selection of guitars to choose from, so the instrument needs to appeal on those levels first. If it has looks too, that's just a bonus.

Dave
wilblee
Posted 2007-01-10 1:51 AM (#122503 - in reply to #122450)

I've bought several guitars on eBay that looked fantastic. It's not that much of a risk, really. If they don't play or sound worth spit, then it's easy to sell 'em back on eBay, because they look fantastic. As serendipity would have it, three of the ones I got on looks were also the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever had (the Soulmate, the LP and the 137).
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-10 9:34 AM (#122504 - in reply to #122450)

I agree with Bill. Ebay is basically the worlds biggest "demo" room. Just make sure you don't significantly overpay. I end up reselling almost every guitar I buy there. Usually not for any profit. PayPal is the same way. Basically I keep playing with the same slush fund of money. Sell one for $500. Buy one for $500. Repeat as necessary. Certain aberrations like 47-RI's, custom new orders, and wooden guitars have been a bit more difficult to deal with.

Dave
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-10 10:16 AM (#122505 - in reply to #122450)

I've bought guitars on ebay. Of the acoustics, the only one I still have is the 87 C, which needed a new neck. Both of my electrics were purchased on ebay with no problems.

If you want to purchase a guitar with no surprises, then buy where you can check it out personally. You pay more for that option, but often it can be worth it.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)