The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
What price Connecticut?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

TRboy
Posted 2007-01-04 8:20 PM (#122115 - in reply to #122065)
Subject: Re: What price Connecticut?

Thanks Jeff....Everyone had a great time! I hope to make it this year but I always seem to make the even years ('04-'06- '08?) If I make it in '07 we'll have to play some bluegrass....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-04 8:40 PM (#122116 - in reply to #122065)

Shucky darn! (can i say that on this forum?) I wish this was gonna be around the first week of June or my daughter was gonna graduate mid-May. My wife's company is sending her to Hendersonville, NC for a seminar the first week of June which just happens to coincide with my oldest daughter's high school graduation in Asheville, NC that same week. Looks like we are gonna scrimp and save in order to pay for me and our other two daughters to go too. My wife has only been to the CONUS once in her life, when we went to Reno to perform two years ago. I'd love to drive her up the east coast to see the sites on the way to CT. Guess I'll settle on taking her a bit west on over through the Smokies to Dollywood.
Perhaps there'll be another mountain-style OFC get together. (hint, hint!)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-01-04 8:43 PM (#122117 - in reply to #122065)

I envy anyone that can go, no matter what the cost. For our 25th Anniversary we went to Germany. My wife gladly toured 3 car museums and one Porsche factory, took test drives at the Porsche track and I gladly toured a bunch of castles and other stuff. I don't even want to know the cost, but it was worth it.
For my wife's birthday a couple years ago we toured the wine country in Napa, Sonoma and Alexander valleys. Don't know the cost, but it was worth it. A friend had a glass of wine that cost almost as much as your hotel bill.
If I was within driving distance, the cost wouldn't be a consideration for me, because we'll drive 900 miles in a weekend to visit family. This year I just have too many other commitments again to make it. Some day when I'm done with relatives weddings and graduations and other obligations, I hope you still have the tours so I can start joining them. Maybe by then I'll be able to play respectably.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-04 8:48 PM (#122118 - in reply to #122065)

Mark, your priotities are all screwed up....
fillhixx
Posted 2007-01-04 8:50 PM (#122119 - in reply to #122065)

Trip Itinerary
1.Campbell River, British Columbia
2.Hartford, Connecticut
Estimated Time: 51 hrs., 44mins.
Total Distance: 5227.0km (3248.0 miles)
and two cavity searches

Could be worth it......
cruster
Posted 2007-01-04 8:50 PM (#122120 - in reply to #122065)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
If it was just me it would be about the same to fly as pay for the gas. Splitting that cost with BrianT saves some money. We would like to split that up even more. Any Michiganders want to joint us next year????

Sharing a room helps. Brian & I both snore like chainsaws. But that only matters to the guy who stays up the latest.

The rooms are not cheap, but they are very nice. I really don't need a kitchen, living room and fireplace. What makes it worth the price is the way we are accepted and treated in the lobby.

All in all... it's worth every penny to me.
Brad-

As long as it's not in the mid- to end-April time frame, I'm going. Nobody on bed rest this year; no big moves; no projects going live (until September). You have room for one more?
Slipkid
Posted 2007-01-04 9:57 PM (#122121 - in reply to #122065)

Yup...
We'll talk.
Oh...I call SHOTGUN!!!
:D
TRboy
Posted 2007-01-04 10:05 PM (#122122 - in reply to #122065)

Originally posted by Lanaki:
......My wife's company is sending her to Hendersonville, NC for a seminar the first week of June which just happens to coincide with my oldest daughter's high school graduation in Asheville, NC......
Cool, Asheville is about 50 miles from my house and I can be in Hendersonville in 15 to 20 mins!!(just over a few hills )

Lanaki, email me when and if you're in that "neck of the woods" and maybe we can "hook-up" :D

Whats the name of your wife's company?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-01-04 10:14 PM (#122123 - in reply to #122065)

Jason - it's a good 4 hour drive from here depending on traffic - I live the same distance as Al. I used to have to make that drive alot as one of my customers was up there.
flipsyde7589
Posted 2007-01-04 10:34 PM (#122124 - in reply to #122065)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Mark, your priotities are all screwed up....
You got THAT right!!! :D :D
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-04 10:42 PM (#122125 - in reply to #122065)

Trboy,
I actually lived in Asheville for 17 years before moving back to Hawaii in '97. I have been through your town many times stopping at TR's main attraction, Burger King, on 25-A on my way to Atlanta. Traveler's Rest is also where alot of Asheville/Hendersonville folks buy their fireworks. I used to be in the food brokerage business and helped Bob Ingle set up many of his stores including the one in TR many years ago. My wife is an accountant with the local Hospice. There is a company in H'ville called MVI that provides her with online support, consulting and software programs. I don't yet know what our itinerary will be like, but I would really like to meet some OCF'ers in the flesh. I can keep up with bluegrass pickers...
I'm hoping to hear from GGG about strummin' some in the mountains too...
TRboy
Posted 2007-01-04 11:16 PM (#122126 - in reply to #122065)

Alright,Lanaki is a Mountain Man!

:D ...."TR's main attraction,Burger King".... :D

We've got us a Wal-Mart Superstore now!!!! In fact it located directly behind the BK!(across the highway from the old M-tex building) plus a few more traffic signals too!

Ingles has moved from the location across from the Burger King. They are now located up Hwy 276 (Geer Hwy) almost to Marietta!!(along with more traffic signals :mad: )

I know that Hawaii has some large mountains, but do you ever miss the Blue Ridge mountains?.....
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-05 12:15 AM (#122127 - in reply to #122065)

I'm in the same boat as Mitchrx and Phil Wong on this one. I'm about 2 1/2 hours drive to the factory. Unfortunately due to my work schedule, I never made it on the Thursday event. I was able to get there as early as possible Friday morning, just in time for the tour, and then join in for pizza at lunchtime. I was with my wife briefly at the ski lodge, but didn't stay very long, cos we needed to check in the hotel. She also wasn't feeling very well and needed to rest - big time. I did managed to chat and share a tune or two with OFC members during the jam session in the hotel lobby. Overall, I spent about ...
Hotel (one night only): $150
Dinner: $100
Gas: $75

Upon departure Saturday afternoon, my wife and I even managed to take a detour to spend the rest of the day at Mohegan Sun. Luckily, I was playing with a machine that was neither winning nor losing much. I lost about $40 bucks in the three hours I played that quarter slot machine.

It wasn't as extravagant as I thought. Perhaps, arriving at the tour the day after made all the difference. The camaraderie that I shared with fellow OFC members was definitely priceless, and I do plan to go there again this year.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-01-05 12:36 AM (#122128 - in reply to #122065)

It's not my priorities. Some people think I should spend at least a little time working in order to pay for all these trips. I just asked when "we" talked about going to Hawaii for our 30th anniversary. I said there was no way we're going this year. It's been very quiet since.
Will be in Spain this Spring and San Diego this summer. I'll expect to meet you SoCal guys then. If you can't come to me, I'll find you.
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-05 2:07 AM (#122129 - in reply to #122065)

Originally posted by Trboy:

I know that Hawaii has some large mountains, but do you ever miss the Blue Ridge mountains?.....
If I ever left Hawaii again, and that is a possibility, the Asheville area is about the only place I'd consider moving back to. (Well...eastern Tennesee is a possibilty too.) I do miss that area and the Blue Ridges. My dad lives up in Mitchell County (Bakersville) where he was born and raised. He's definitely a mountain man. I did not meet him until I was 22. We'll see how my wife likes the area when we visit. She's an island girl.
I'll keep you posted about our plans. Do ya' ever get over to Dollywood?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-01-05 2:41 AM (#122130 - in reply to #122065)

Perspective is funny. I wasn't here in Washington but 2 weeks and had to fly back to Maryland for the 2nd load. Riding from Dulles to Frederick I actually caught myself saying to the guy that gave me a lift... "Man, I never noticed how flat this area is".

For motorcycles I thought the Blue Ridge Highway and Skyline drive was just the end all.... silly me.

The Cascades are much like Alaska in that to those who ever never been, it just can't be explained.
dvd
Posted 2007-01-05 3:00 AM (#122131 - in reply to #122065)

Yeah I always have to snicker when my in-laws from Boston talk about the mountains back east.
Jason_S
Posted 2007-01-05 3:22 AM (#122132 - in reply to #122065)

miles, this area is verry flat considering where i grew up at..the area of wva where im from is refered to as mountain goat habitat. you gotta have one leg shorter than the other to walk up the hills..lol jason
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-01-05 7:26 AM (#122133 - in reply to #122065)

Have we got a bunch of southerners that want to try and go together?

16 hours isn't so bad if there are 4 drivers.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-01-05 7:45 AM (#122134 - in reply to #122065)

The "Mountain's" back east are among the most ancient on Earth. They once dwarfed the western chains (which are beautiful... especially the Cascade and the Trinity Alps) you see now. Give the old girls their due and hope you're as beautiful when you're 400 million years old.
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-05 9:02 AM (#122135 - in reply to #122065)

Here in the Subduction Zone we like our Alps fresh and crispy!
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-05 1:11 PM (#122136 - in reply to #122065)

jason,
i've flown over west virginia at low altitude. isn't the satellite dish the state flower there?
cliff
Posted 2007-01-05 1:23 PM (#122137 - in reply to #122065)

No.

The Youngest Sister is.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-01-05 1:31 PM (#122138 - in reply to #122065)

I prefer the Sawtooth mountains or the Tetons. Both youngsters, but people tell me that old is not beautiful all the time.
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-05 1:35 PM (#122139 - in reply to #122065)

Originally posted by cliff:
No.

The Youngest Sister is.
any other clues, cliff?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)