The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: McPherson guitars

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-06 11:02 AM (#121592)
Subject: OT: McPherson guitars

Does anyone have any experience with these guitars? My wife asked me the other night if I knew what acoustic brand Brad Paisley was playing and I couldn't answer her. So I looked it up this morning.

The other thing I wanted to know was whether or not there have been any other guitar manufacturers that have made a floating neck or fingerboard to allow the top to vibrate more freely. I know my Adamas is that way and the McPherson has what they call a cantilevered neck design that doesn't touch the top either.

BTW, we saw Brad Paisley in June and were very impressed--that boy can play. And his McPherson sounded very good through the PA. Supposedly they also sound great unplugged.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-01-06 11:05 AM (#121593 - in reply to #121592)
Subject: Re: OT: McPherson guitars

Expensive, but very creative design. I think they sound great.
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-01-06 11:30 AM (#121594 - in reply to #121592)

As i said in another post i`ve used Mcpearson`s more than a few times live and in the studio. For my money thet don`t have anything on the 06 collectors or a lot of Ovations. If money was not a factor i still would not buy one. If you want all wood Collings or Martin are much better guitars in any price range. Mcpearson`s as Taylor are well made guitars and if its want you want you should get one, but i think like Taylor they are a product of really good marketing.
Weaser P
Posted 2007-01-06 11:31 AM (#121595 - in reply to #121592)

I've played two different models (no idea which ones - just not that familiar with their line) - both I thought both were beautiful and full sounding with outstanding fit/finish jobs. Played very easily had a projection that I thought was better than the standard Taylor ('course that could also be because I'm just not a real fan of the Taylors).

Drop into your local specialty store (I'm not sure I've ever seen one in GC) and check one out. They'll be in the "upper level" room if they have one at all but I would bet you'll be impressed (by both the guitar and the price tag).
wilblee
Posted 2007-01-06 11:53 AM (#121596 - in reply to #121592)

McPhersons do sound great and are expensive. As for other guitars - my Martin CF-1 has a cantilevered neck and sounds great plugged-in. Not so much acoustically, but then it wasn't designed to. A very fine player though. Plugged into the Bose system, it's heroin.
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-06 12:01 PM (#121597 - in reply to #121592)

Here is Brenton Brown and Paual Baloche

Paul shows up with his McPherson everywhere.
wilblee
Posted 2007-01-06 12:39 PM (#121598 - in reply to #121592)

And it always sounds real good when he does. Hearing Paul play his is the main reason I would ever want one. I've heard him in several venues and that McPherson always sounds fantastic.
duffer
Posted 2007-01-07 6:12 AM (#121599 - in reply to #121592)

One of the few guitars,I have played, that sounds just as good in alternate tunings as well as standard. Crisp, clean, responsive, and loud.

Attention to detail is second to none. If you ever get the chance to try one take a mirror on a stick with you and check out the inside. The laminated bracing itself is artistry.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2007-01-07 7:52 AM (#121600 - in reply to #121592)

I've been a 'fan' of Paul Baloche for many years and use quite a few of his songs, but I think this is a commercial move for him. MacPherson seems to have pursued some signficant artist endorsements (Baloche, Paisley, Little Big Town), and that is - like Taylor - a likely reason why the rest of us pay what we have to to own one, ourselves. If it doesn't sound ten times better than my Custom Legend, why should I pay ten times more for it?

I do, however, confess to Olson lust.
cholloway
Posted 2007-01-08 11:44 AM (#121601 - in reply to #121592)

Is the "Reba McEntire" model the only one they produce???
duffer
Posted 2007-01-08 2:53 PM (#121602 - in reply to #121592)

Nope....also a Debbie Boone
Stevechapman
Posted 2007-01-08 3:05 PM (#121603 - in reply to #121592)

Oh yeah,Debbie Boone plays the "You Light up My Life Collectors Edition" :rolleyes: ;)
Paul, I know what you mean about Olson.
I came really close a number of year ago to getting one. At that time the waitinglist had you waiting at least 8 months before he could start building your's and it took about 6 monthsto 9 months to build depending on the model type and ornamentation.I just didn't have the patience to wait. Phil keaggy has played an Olson for years as does James Taylor.
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-01-08 5:21 PM (#121604 - in reply to #121592)

I wish i would have ordered one way back when i first priced them at $2200. That same guitar will go used at about 8 grand.
Englishplayer
Posted 2007-01-08 6:48 PM (#121605 - in reply to #121592)

My standard line about Taylors....

Sure I like them, but they are always a few hundred higher than what I think they should be for what they offer.

My standard line for McPherson ......

Sure I like them, but they are always a few thousand higher than what I think they should be for what they offer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)