The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
contour bowl ? or no traditional bowl?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

alpep
Posted 2007-01-08 4:45 PM (#121310)
Subject: contour bowl ? or no traditional bowl?

I have been thinking about this lately. I really like the contour bowl, but I am not so sure I want to see it on the entire line and the imports. In fact I would prefer that it was limited to only the upper level of the USA Ovation and Adamas guitars.

What are your thoughts? I think that the contour bowl is more comfortable and sounds great but I am not so sure I want to see it on all the line. Much like you would not expect a 5.0 liter in a ford focus.

IMHO I always thought that some things should remain features only avaiable on upper end instruments. Since the bowl is so integral to the Ovation design and sound I would understand why they would want to put it on all the instruments but then where is the mystery? where is the stuff you long for in the catalog and lust after because it is only affordable and obtainable to the few who can get it?

Did I hit the mark here or am I off the mark? what do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2007-01-08 4:54 PM (#121311 - in reply to #121310)
Subject: Re: contour bowl ? or no traditional bowl?

I'm with you, Al.

As great as the ContourBowls are, I think they should be some type of "upgrade".

I hope the ContourBowl doesn't become the NEW "epaulets" . . .
Jason_S
Posted 2007-01-08 5:00 PM (#121312 - in reply to #121310)

i played mike's at your place when i picked up the adamas. it was comfortable but...it just didnt have the same feel that im used to. im with you's guy's. make it available on the high end line but also still be able to the the traditional roundback...jason
Slipkid
Posted 2007-01-08 5:01 PM (#121313 - in reply to #121310)

Al, I like your thinking and I'm with you.
However, you just can't keep a good idea down forever. Before Ovation had to fight both the "plastic back" and the "slip off the lap" syndrome. The contour back will take of the second issue.
I think the contour back will eventually catch on with the Guitar Center type people and they will push for them. But GC will want them on the lower end models because that is where their Ovation market is.

signed.... Deep Bowl Brad
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-08 5:06 PM (#121314 - in reply to #121310)

No secret that I am a huge contour bowl fan. But I also know a little bit about branding and product differentiation. I was going to say "marketing" but you would have made fun of me.

IF IT WERE UP TO ME ... I would use the bowl as a differentiating factor of USA vs. Import. USA Ovation/Adamas get Contour Bowls and imports get Roundback Bowls.

Ovation has tendency to try to "blur the lines" with things such as Celebrity "Bowl manufactured in USA" and the recent Ultra "Assembled in USA".

Dave
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2007-01-08 5:07 PM (#121315 - in reply to #121310)

Save it for the Custom LX, & certain Adamas models and/or make it an Optional Upgrade on the other USA Models. The sooner it goes to the Celeb line, the sooner we'll see foreign knock-offs, and if you thought the patent for a composite "round-back" was hard to defend now, wait till they find out all they have to do is dent the middle in a little...
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-01-08 5:22 PM (#121316 - in reply to #121310)

I am a Roundback fan. My Roundbacks are far and away the most comfortable to hold and play. I have nothing against the CB, but it would not be my first choice. As an option on "High End" model, fine by me... as standard on certain high end models, fine... I certainly don't want a Contour bowl 12 string Ute, however...
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-08 5:32 PM (#121317 - in reply to #121310)

I'm with Dave. a line of separation needs to be made.

I have also found a way to "tip" my contour the way I like it - like the roundbacks!
schroeder
Posted 2007-01-08 5:34 PM (#121318 - in reply to #121310)

I don't like contour bowls, I like roundbacks. The medium bowl is (to me) the most comfortable, easy to play guitar body ever designed. I also love my shallow bowl, and I may have mentioned before I quite like the ute and its deep bowl.

If they actually ever do put the contour bowl on all the American models, then I'll be buying used from then on.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-01-08 5:38 PM (#121319 - in reply to #121310)

Originally posted by schroeder:
I'll be buying used from then on.
I'm so glad you didn't say, "selling"
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2007-01-08 5:43 PM (#121320 - in reply to #121310)

I agree that the contour bowl should be upper end of the line, too--there should be something that's reserved for those made here. If my shoulder were up to playing a deep bowl, though, that's what I'd order--very time. No mid-depth, no contour--for me, it's the deep-bowled ones that really say "Ovation" to me, not the others. The others don't evoke that "Oh, wow....." reaction nearly as much. (Of course, Gertrude is to blame for all this deep-bowl preference on my part.........)

--Karen
45flint
Posted 2007-01-08 6:00 PM (#121321 - in reply to #121310)

Is the Contour Bowl patented, it doesn't say that it is on the Ovation site? Does the contour bowl cost more to produce? I would doubt that it does. I think that the market will dictate where the bowl is used. Unless there is a cost factor I don't see how in the long run you will keep this feature only on high end instruments. If it is looked at as a positive and the cost is the same it will work its way down the food chain. Bear claw tops, abalone inlays etc, cost more and will not move down the chain.
Steve
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-08 6:00 PM (#121322 - in reply to #121310)

I hate it when I agree with Dave but he's right. The contour bowl should be a point of differentiation, not just something that goes on everything. And it should NEVER go on a foreign built Ovation. It should be premium in nature.

Now, having said that, I'm not a fan of the contour bowl. I like the mid depth and deep bowls. But then I'm an old fart and I'm not the one Ovation is marketing their guitars to......
Beal
Posted 2007-01-08 6:13 PM (#121323 - in reply to #121310)

Tough call, I think that everybody's right. How's that?
Waskel
Posted 2007-01-08 6:15 PM (#121324 - in reply to #121310)

I want to know what they did with the parlor bowl molds.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2007-01-08 6:47 PM (#121325 - in reply to #121310)

I have a 2005-ES, plus several round profile mid-bowl guitars. My vote would be to leave the contour bowl available on the Legend and above (it's already there anyway). But not on the Balladeer and certainly not on the Celebs and Applause. There has to be SOME differentiation for the premium U.S. models.

Maybe a different shallow-bowl version contour for Celebs, exclusively. And then DON'T put that on the U.S. models.

Roger
colt357
Posted 2007-01-08 7:29 PM (#121326 - in reply to #121310)

Originally posted by cwk2:
Tough call, I think that everybody's right. How's that?
How's that? I believe that is a grand display of diplomacy. Nice touch!

Dave
John B
Posted 2007-01-08 7:53 PM (#121327 - in reply to #121310)

I'm with Al and Dave on this. The contour bowl should be a "higher end" feature, however, I also believe that the traditional bowls should be available for the high end models as well. I don't think Ovation would want to discourage fans of the roundbacks from buying high end models. Lets face it though, if the contour bowl becomes very popular, they'll start slapping them on $300.00 Celebs in no time. Other companies do the same thing as Ovation with respect to "blurring the line" between the high end and entry level stuff. Look at the Fender Stratocaster for instance. You can get a "Squire" model, a Mexican made model, and a USA model. To the untrained eye, it's hard to tell the difference between them. These companies make a lot of money selling cheap imitations of their "real" stuff, and who can blame them? If they don't do it, someone else will. It sucks, but that's how it is.
alpep
Posted 2007-01-08 8:11 PM (#121328 - in reply to #121310)

Just a point of claification. I am in no way advocating getting away from the Traditional bowl. I like it, in fact I even told my sales rep, they need to make some more shallow bowls that sound good acoustically so they can sell some of those guitar. I am postitive it can be done you just need the right combination of design and engineering.

I know that the sales reps are probably screaming for the factory to build EVERYTHING with the contour bowl so that they can walk into stores and demonstrate how they no long slip off your lap etc. BUT there is always room for tradition (would you mess with a D 28? hell no!!!)

As usual, I refer to the lost loves in my life and how I think about the unobtainable ones more often than the others. So the point is if you can get something at every price point, why bother with an upper level.

I was hoping this thread would spark some interesting discussion and it has. My ulterior motive is that knowing the boys in bloomfield read us that maybe it will help spark some discussion pertianing to how "the great unwashed" think about this topic.

I worked with a guy that bought a jag. The first thing he did was take off the wire riims and put on some goofy ugly aftermarket wheels that looked like they belonged on some high school kids' acura hot rod. Totally took a classic look and make it ugly. I still want the wire wheels on my guitar, and keep the aftermarket rims for the imports.
Beal
Posted 2007-01-08 8:19 PM (#121329 - in reply to #121310)

Al, the wire rims would look good on your truck.
Can you get them from this guy?
Stevechapman
Posted 2007-01-08 8:41 PM (#121330 - in reply to #121310)

Just offer the Contour Bowl as an option on higher end USA Ovations and teh adamas line, however if someone bought lets say a Legend and wanted the contour bowl on it simply pay for teh upgrade..ala special order. Don't phase out teh tradional roundback. too many people still like them.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-01-08 9:03 PM (#121331 - in reply to #121310)

Anyone else remember when "cruise control" was only available on high end, luxury cars???
Maybe I'm just being cynical tonight but I gotta think the contour bowl will be more market and profit driven than by any sense of tradition or country of origin.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-08 9:09 PM (#121332 - in reply to #121310)

Aren't we getting just alittle Elitist here?
Some folks buy what they can afford... Does that make them less of an aficionado (dedicated fanatic)?

[Gee, how can I hide my name when I post this?]
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-01-08 9:19 PM (#121333 - in reply to #121310)

I agree with Brad. If the contour bowl is going to help them sell more guitars than that's what they'll do. I also agree that there is a place for all of the different bowl types. I happen to like both the deep bowl and the contour bowl. I sold my shallow bowls to people who prefer (or need) those.
worshipleader
Posted 2007-01-08 9:58 PM (#121334 - in reply to #121310)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Aren't we getting just alittle Elitist here?
Some folks buy what they can afford... Does that make them less of an aficionado (dedicated fanatic)?
I dunno, I kinda like my Elites ... and my attitude :D
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)