The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
MM68 Upgrade

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Stuart Miller
Posted 2007-01-09 5:51 PM (#121151)
Subject: MM68 Upgrade

I just completed a pre-amp upgrade on my recently acquired MM-68. After chatting with John Budny he advised that the best way for me to get a tuner in the beastie was to replace the existing OP-24+ and install an OP-24+C.

A few days wait and some fumbling around in the body of the mando and here is the picture of my new upgraded MM-68.

The tuning on these is normally very stable especially with the Thomastik Infeld smooth wound stainless steel mando strings I like to use, but with 8 strings in those high register notes, the odd tweak here and there just makes the sound all the sweeter.

If you ever thought about it the process is very painless and yet again I heartily reccomend the customer responsiveness of John and the crew at the mothership.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2007-01-10 2:17 PM (#121152 - in reply to #121151)
Subject: Re: MM68 Upgrade

That looks really nice. you did a great job.
I know you'll enjoy the Mando even more now that you've got the benifit of an onboard tuner.
BalladeerFun
Posted 2007-01-10 2:19 PM (#121153 - in reply to #121151)

tuning a mando can be down right frustrating... You were smart to make the change...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-01-10 2:52 PM (#121154 - in reply to #121151)

Did you get the new preamp from Ovation? It would be nice to upgrade a couple of mine to add a tuner.
Stuart Miller
Posted 2007-01-10 4:08 PM (#121155 - in reply to #121151)

Yes. Contact John Budny at Customer Service and they can set you up. It was a bit tight but pretty easy to do it in the end. Hardest bit was aligning the cover section with the actual preamp as there is a row of pins that connect the LED's and the unit. They bend easily so can get out of alignment.

and yes BF it was the one thing that was a pain when I had an MM68 before. I really missed it from the guitars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)