The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Optima preamp and tuner issues

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-10 6:51 PM (#120913)
Subject: Adamas Optima preamp and tuner issues

For the first time ever (I know, pretty bad) I plugged in my Adamas to see if the Optima preamp even worked. It was just some cheap little amp my friend had, but it was great to hear plugged in.

The EQ seemed to work fine. While playing with the notch filter and volume I had no issues. But when I pressed the EQ IN/OUT button the preamp would pop through the amp. This was the only time the popping would occur. My friend is an electrical engineer and I asked him if the contacts might be dirty and he said it was a possibility. I've also had problems with the tuner recognizing the low E just about every time I use the tuner.

Can I remove the preamp and really do anything with it or do I need to take/send it in to be looked at?

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ChatMan
Posted 2007-01-11 10:24 AM (#120914 - in reply to #120913)
Subject: Re: Adamas Optima preamp and tuner issues

Each of my guitars that have tuners and even the external tuners that I use have their own idiosyncrocies. Each has problems with one or more strings but low E is a common one. My solution is to pluck the string at the twelfth fret to provide the most tonically pure note for the tuner to lock on to. Using this method gives me the best outcome.

Popping switches? No advice here except to suggest repeated cycling. If you have not used the preamp before, it may just be some slight corrosion. Some have suggested, historically, that contact cleaner sprays may help. I've never been a huge fan of them. But, I don't offer anything substantively better.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-11 1:09 PM (#120915 - in reply to #120913)

Thanks for your input ChatMan.

Any hints on how to properly remove the preamp? I would much rather remove it to spray contact cleaner on it.

Thank you again.
Jason_S
Posted 2007-01-11 2:01 PM (#120916 - in reply to #120913)

ive got a optima that pops on the eq button. im gonna tear it down today and claen the contacts and check the board out...jason
ChatMan
Posted 2007-01-11 2:46 PM (#120917 - in reply to #120913)

I seem to recall this issue coming up a while back. I believe ou have o carefully pry up the label (it's adhesive backed) at the four corners. 4 screws will be revealed.

You might try searching the archive for listings that reference the optima preamp. for more information.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-11 5:34 PM (#120918 - in reply to #120913)

Let me know what you find out Jason. If you're successful I will make mine a Saturday project. We're not supposed to get above single digit temps all weekend--woohoo!

ChatMan, I did search the archives for such issues. I got a few hits, but nothing specifically called out as a similar issue. I will look again to be sure I didn't overlook something. Thanks.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-01-11 5:47 PM (#120919 - in reply to #120913)

Todd, let me know when you're planning a trip down to Denver. We can experiment on how these Ovations and Adamases are supposed to sound plugged in!
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-11 5:56 PM (#120920 - in reply to #120913)

Now THAT is a great idea!! I may take you up on that one. Part of my mission in the next year is to save up to buy an amp. Suggestions welcome.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-01-11 6:12 PM (#120921 - in reply to #120913)

Come see and hear, then decide for yourself.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-11 9:24 PM (#120922 - in reply to #120913)

You're on! Finding a good time for me might prove to be difficult.

My wife is a stay-at-home mom with David (5 and in afternoon kindergarten) and Jacob (almost 3 and home all day). She's also busy with being co-coordinator of MOPS at our church, doing reading groups at David's class, being a math tutor a couple of times a week, etc. You get the picture.

But I'll tell you what, next time she goes to Colorado Springs with the boys I will try to make arrangements with you to get together. I'm not even sure where you live Professor. Clue me in a little on that one.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-01-12 9:23 AM (#120923 - in reply to #120913)

Central Denver, between downtown and Cherry Creek. When you're planning to pass through towm, send me a PM.
cliff
Posted 2007-01-12 9:37 AM (#120924 - in reply to #120913)

Speaking of which . . .

Jeanette and I have been discussing planning a trip to Colo. t'see her family in the Boulder-area. Thinking about possibly parlaying that into an OFC Jammy-type thingie . . .
Any interest??

Probably happen 'round Springtime when the chances of the flight home getting snowed-in are lessened.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-12 10:18 AM (#120925 - in reply to #120913)

Keep me posted. I'm dealing with some customers in Colorado and Utah and I'm passing through Denver airport pretty much every week. I could definately work my schedule around a gathering.

Dave
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-12 10:25 AM (#120926 - in reply to #120913)

Sounds good to me. I'd love to do it at my place, but it's not nearly big enough.

Keep us posted.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)