The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Going Electric!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

wilblee
Posted 2007-01-12 7:39 PM (#120908 - in reply to #120883)
Subject: Re: Going Electric!

You'll like the Roland. It's made for your guitar and the type of pickup that it uses. The Fender is made for magnetic pickups, so it won't sound as the designers intended with the Ovation.

Also, so what if you're a novice player? How new are your ears?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-01-12 8:40 PM (#120909 - in reply to #120883)

There is a noticeable difference in sound with an acoustic amp. There also seems to be more resistance to feedback with acoustic amps. If you want to play with most of the effects, you should really get an electric guitar that is made for those effects. I don't know that you could ever make a real acoustic guitar sound like a solidbody electric.
As Miles said, Trace Elliot was the standard for years. I couldn't think of the name yesterday, but my senility hasn't affected my hearing.
Kass-2077
Posted 2007-01-12 10:09 PM (#120910 - in reply to #120883)

The ears are actually getting older, so there might be no difference anyway :-).

I looked up the Trace Elliot - it seems very impressive but being rather on expensive side it is also huge and too powerful. It is like bying a truck when you need a grocery-getter.

I am not that into effects actually, simply the Fender's DEC seduces me with the promise of interesting digital learning and practising features. And although I do incline to Roland, I ask myself (as a novice) - if the acoustic amp mode on Fender is not too bad compared with the Roland's sound I could probably live with that...and not buy two amps, which I am not going to do anyway. A classic trade-off dilemma :-(((

By the way, do you guys buy amps from i-net? It will be cheaper to order them from US than to buy here in Canada, but I am not sure if the delivery of this type of equipment by post is the right thing to do.
Yak
Posted 2007-01-12 10:33 PM (#120911 - in reply to #120883)

Sometimes the digital effects of an "electric" amp can be fun and even give a pretty decent array of sounds. I actually really enjoy the "Jazz Chorus" on the Roland Cube with a tinge of chorus and reverb. Some effects are completely lost on an A/E, such as metal stack and rectifier, but neverless kinda fun at times, as when you want jack up the gain to do a Jimmy Hendrix version of the national anthem. ;-)

But as you may have read, none of the "acoustic" effects on an electric amp sound like an acoustic guitar. Just sounds like an acoustic guitar through an electric amp. Bottom line, if you don't want to loose you acoustic clarity and dynamics, you should go with an acoustic amp.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-01-13 12:01 AM (#120912 - in reply to #120883)

Another Craigslist find:

Fender Acoustasonic and stuff

The local music store was asking $450 for the same amp.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)