The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Need Help or Advice

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

bowl playin boy
Posted 2007-01-13 10:53 AM (#120583)
Subject: Need Help or Advice

Hi everyone, wanted to know if anyone here might be able to point me in the right direction for something i've decided to do. I have a very nice 1975 Applause AA14-4 in excellent condition. Made in Mooseup , and upgraded with Grover tuners. Has with it an equally nice #9110 hard case. It was my 1st roundback and i've owned it for 26 years but just haven't played it much because the width at the neck is too narrow for me. i've only held onto it because i really like the aluminum fretboard models. But alas , due to new projects coming in the door and space in the home running out, i have decided to part with it. My first thought was post it here then on to Ebay if no one wanted it. But i saw a picture of an American soldier in Iraq playing a guitar and i knew that's where this little gem needs to go. For the sacrifices these men and women are making for me and my family, i would be honored to have it in a soldiers hands. so does anyone know where i should start or who to contact so that it is assured of reaching the troops over there? Thanks for your time....James
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2007-01-13 10:59 AM (#120584 - in reply to #120583)
Subject: Re: Need Help or Advice

That's a great gesture Jim.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-01-13 11:01 AM (#120585 - in reply to #120583)

you might try a local V.A. hospital state-side...
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-01-13 11:54 AM (#120586 - in reply to #120583)

James ... what a kind and thoughtful gesture. It will be nearly impossible to send it directly to a soldier ... they stopped allowing that after some of our dedicated citizenry took advantage of the system and sent a flood of hate-filled messages and packages to the soldiers they wanted to "support". Probably the best advice I can give would be to go visit your local recruiting office and see if they can make something happen. Alternatively, try the USO.

I know the guitar will bring a lot of joy to the troops serving. Our Marine sent us a message not long after he deployed last year, so we packed up his J200 and got it over to him. There were plenty of stories of singalongs and his comrades still talk about the songs they sang. After he got home, Mom noticed there was a small chunk missing and the reply was simply "mortar attack". The guitar earned it's own Purple Heart. Looks like it's going back in a couple of months.
Weaser P
Posted 2007-01-13 12:42 PM (#120587 - in reply to #120583)

Capital idea, James. One guitar + one player = many happy faces. I cannot imagine a more worthy cause. Hope you get it into a soldier's hands.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-13 2:09 PM (#120588 - in reply to #120583)

Take it down to your local National Guard Armory, and talk to the folks there. Your local news will tell you if any of your local units are being deployed. Go down to the Armory on the weekend, when the Weekend Warriors will be there, and ask who plays. Then you may be able to send it directly to that person. Bypassing the USO/VFW/AmVets or whomever. Because of weight restrictions and space, the soldier may not be able to carry it with them (it ain't like they are deploying to Munich). But you should be able send it in a package. Although there may be a certain time to send packages. (Kinda like when they're in Prison.)
Good Project, Good Luck.

Draft-dodging Army-brat...
Arthur
bowl playin boy
Posted 2007-01-13 8:39 PM (#120589 - in reply to #120583)

Thank you so much everyone. I'll give those ideas a try. Although i've already tried the USO and they don't accept anything but monetary donations right now. Thanks again and i'll let you all know how it turns out. James
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-01-13 11:21 PM (#120590 - in reply to #120583)

James,

I talked with lady stonebobbo who is much closer to the action on things like this. She suggested you contact Blue Star Moms at www.bluestarmoms.org. They help get care packages over to the troops in action. Good luck and God Bless.
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2007-01-14 1:07 AM (#120591 - in reply to #120583)

A lot of the USO's at the airports will take donations. The airport in St. Louis had two guitars in the over Christmas. They were open to donations. I had a stack of magazines I took over when we took our oldest son to the airport so that he could fly back to Hawaii. He is stationed on a submarine there. They like magazines and paperback books so that the military personnel can take them with them when they leave. Great organization!
Showtime_100
Posted 2007-01-18 8:22 PM (#120592 - in reply to #120583)

B P B ...

Thats a EXCELLENT thing you're doin' and I commend you for the effort and that thought !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)