The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
op-pro eq attenuation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

itroubador
Posted 2007-01-15 6:04 AM (#120374)
Subject: op-pro eq attenuation

I have a month old 1778 T and, mostly, like it a lot. There's an op-pro eq issue I'm not sure is a problem or a feature. The volume is very radically attenuated when eq is active. This is to the point that I have to max the input preamp on my mixer to get a decent sound level versus a mid-level setting with the Op-Pro eq bypassed. I had a band member play it for me while I fooled with the sound and decided it is far sweeter bypassing the built in eq and using the eq on my PA. Anyone know if this is normal Op-Pro performance or I have a defect?
Thanks,
PS,
I'm a newbie here; if topic is redundant or in the wrong spot, please forgive and direct.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wilblee
Posted 2007-01-15 9:47 AM (#120375 - in reply to #120374)
Subject: Re: op-pro eq attenuation

Have the 1778T's started coming with the OP-PRO's now? I thought they had the OP30. If it's an OP-PRO, then you may have a problem. Neither of my OP-PRO guitars exhibit this behavior. I don't have any experience with the OP30 so I can't comment there.
philmax
Posted 2007-01-15 12:54 PM (#120376 - in reply to #120374)

Yes, 1778T's are now available with OP-Pro. There are threads that address this issue, also.
I run my gain control "all the way up" on the OP-Pro, in order to achieve "normal settings" on the mixing board. This does not, in most instances, effect sound quality. You can also boost the signal with a quality effects pedal. Btw, YES, this is a common issue with OP-PRO.
itroubador
Posted 2007-01-15 2:14 PM (#120377 - in reply to #120374)

Thanks guys!
It's confusing that it's 'normal' for the Op-Pro on 1778 T to attenuate but does not do so on other models. BTW, the 1778 T I purchased (Musician's Friend) was advertised with Op-30 preamp so I was surprised to find Op-Pro and disappointed with the eq attenuation. Makes me wonder if the 1778 T 'upgrade' might be selective (i.e. of preamps that don't make the 'as advertised' - or, perhaps more fair, the 'expectations') cut.

A great gig guitar, regardless. I got it to retire my HD-28 so I'd stop beating the hell out of it. It's 'different' in that I don't get that mellow woodiness but it's also a cleaner sound and does the job I got it for. I'm not disappointed - as I was with the last shot I took (with a Carvin 850 Cobalt) at retiring the Martin.
philmax
Posted 2007-01-15 3:26 PM (#120378 - in reply to #120374)

I'm sorry Itroubador, I tried to edit my post but didn't get to it in time. Did that answer help or make sense?

I'll try again: The PRE EQ button is the main feature of the OP-Pro pre-amp, (bypass) is pickup only and (shape) is a specially developed signal to give a "studio" quality sound.

It is my understanding that the OP-PRO STUDIO pre-amp addressed this issue by adding an additional gain control to boost the signal.

You should have a sufficient signal with the gain "all the way up" even tho you do lose some control, I am happily living with mine. Hope this helps...phil
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-01-15 4:23 PM (#120379 - in reply to #120374)

I was wondering about that as well... I was noticing the same thing when playing at church. With the Celebrity, I couldn't raise the volume beyond 1 - with the 2005, I have to boost it way up.

Thanks for the info.
Yak
Posted 2007-01-16 8:04 AM (#120380 - in reply to #120374)

Thats odd. I've never noticed any change in volume when I use the EQ on the 1771LX's OP-Pro. Whether in "shape" mode or not. Could it just be a bad batch they had at one point in time? I would call Ovation, maybe they'll trade you a "good" one.
John B
Posted 2007-01-16 8:29 AM (#120381 - in reply to #120374)

The OP Pro and the VIP have VERY low output compared to the older pre-amps. I use an EQ pedal to boost the volume so I don't have to crank that channel on my mixer all the way up. To be honest, I think that these "new and improved" pre-amps are full of glitches and problems. I've had to have the wiring re-done on my Legend (OP-Pro) when the guitar was brand new, and I've had problems with the VIP cutting out and had to have that replaced. I wish that Ovation would just go back to a basic pre-amp and let the sound of the guitars stand on their own merit, rather than cramming a bunch of effects into the pre-amps. In this case, I really think that more is less.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-16 9:30 AM (#120382 - in reply to #120374)

Confirming what John just said, my GC reissue has a redesigned stacked volume/tone control. It's the best preamp of any that I own.
worshipleader
Posted 2007-01-16 3:07 PM (#120383 - in reply to #120374)

Now I have found that the Pro is indeed soft compared to my other O's, but easy enough to adjust for at the board. I think the EQ preset on it is a wonderful setting. I use it and adjust the EQ on the preamp no further and the board is set flat. My 6778LX and 1778T-LR both have the Pro preamps, but not the XLR plug. I think that I've read here on the board that if your guitar has the Pro with an XLR, the signal from the XLR is much hotter.

The VIP on my 2080 has a MUCH hotter signal on the 1/4" jack than the Pro. I don't use the XLR much because I'm usually running it direct to the board with some sort of effects processor in between. My disappointment with the VIP is that I guess I'm not bright enough to appreciate the mic models versus the sound without the models mixed into the signal, and I miss the pre-shape on the Pro.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)