The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Plugged into one of these today

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-15 5:42 PM (#120164)
Subject: Plugged into one of these today

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AS50D

Looks like these are pretty new, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried one of these amps and see what your thoughts were.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2007-01-15 6:02 PM (#120165 - in reply to #120164)
Subject: Re: Plugged into one of these today

Looks exactly like my AS30.
Tommy M.
Posted 2007-01-15 7:14 PM (#120166 - in reply to #120164)

Tell us your thoughts Todd, you plugged into it. Anxious to hear.
Brian T
Posted 2007-01-15 7:32 PM (#120167 - in reply to #120164)

I had one of these for a few years. It was pretty decent as far as acoustic amps go. I liked that it was very quiet with little buzzing or distortion. It also had a pretty good compliment of inputs outputs and features. All for a reasonable price.

But as I started to ask more of it I started to notice it's shortcomings. First is the small (8 inch I think) speakers. When you would start to drive the amp hard either with vocal or guitar the speakers couldnt keep up and would distort and fart out, this was especially noticable on heavier bass notes. I also noticed what I can only desribe as a "brittle" quality to the tone.

I eventually sold it and bought a small mixer and a Yorkville powered speaker - a huge step up. The speaker is a 12" with a horn and 550 watts. Plenty of power to carry multiple acoustic guitars and vocals. Plus it makes a great monitor when I am with a band that has a larger PA.

I think that most of these small dual-channel acoustic amps are fine for low powered stuff or guitar alone. But when you start to push them a bit they fall apart sound wise. If you just want it for messing around I am sure you will like it, but if you want to gig or accompany a band I would vote for more power and larger speakers. There are also some interesting acoustic amps that are higher powered with larger speakers (Genz Benz, Carvin, larger Marshalls), I would look at these if you are sold on the idea of a multi channel combo.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-15 7:33 PM (#120168 - in reply to #120164)

This would be the first amp I've really plugged into to try. I tried the Genz-Benz next to it (60 watts, but I don't remember the model number), but I liked the Marshall (50 watts) more. The Marshall didn't sound as processed or artificial as the GB, but the salesman was standing right there and seemed hesitant to let me play with any settings on either amp. He just seemed content for me to keep my hands on my guitar. However, he did say, "Whoa!! Check that out!!" when I pulled my Adamas out of the case and put it on one of the stands before I plugged in.

I was just plugged in via 1/4" cable (w/ flat EQ), so I didn't get a chance to use the XLR input on either amp. The Marshall has phantom power, but I'm not sure on the GB.

The Marshall was $90 less ($385) for 10 fewer watts of output. And I liked the "safe" (Internal Limiter) circuitry built into the Marshall, too. Supposedly it will allow the user to get the full 50 watt output without clipping the amp or blowing the speakers from distortion.

Being my first real experience with an acoustic amp, I liked the Marshall. Enough to buy one? I don't know yet. I would at least like to try an original Fender Acoustasonic Jr., a Trace Acoustic, and a Roland AC60.
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-15 7:48 PM (#120169 - in reply to #120164)

I use the Marshall AS (Acoustic Soloist)80R. Have had it for 10 years. XLNT product. Has two 10" Celestions providing nice stereo chorus @ 40 watts per channel. I have performed many smaller venue gigs with it (2-300 people, outdoors and indoors) with great sound. I would set it up with microphone, drum machine and acoustic guitar.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-16 12:25 AM (#120170 - in reply to #120164)

Brian, your insight is much appreciated. And you touch on something that will probably keep my amp choice on the "smaller" side of things. While I will not be pushing a small amp too hard, I think your suggestions to rely on different gear that can handle being worked harder are great.

I will (most likely) not ever gig with a small amp similar to the Marshall. And I won't need to run anything else through the amp while I'm playing through it. This amp will be something that will reside in the basement bedroom and on occasion be brought up to the living room or taken over to a friend's house.

When my playing gets back to where it was 10 years ago my plan is to play in the orchestra at church. At that point I won't need to worry about an amp that is better suited for such an environment. I'll be able to plug into their system and run through the mixing board and PA, although my guess is that I won't have any real control over how my guitar sounds. Mark (the director) will probably tell the guy at the board where to set my volume. The only regular guitar player (Ben) plays a Taylor 300 series plugged in and I'm pretty sure that Mark tells him to leave the preamp flat and to not add any extra volume. I really think my hands will be tied for the most part. And that's probably OK.

Lanaki, glad to hear you're happy with your Marshall. I've read some reviews of the AS50D and most people (93%) are happy with them. Some even commented that they preferred the Marshall to the Fender, but I know that is a personal preference thing.

We all know that not everyone is going to like the amp I choose. Ultimately I need to be happy with my choice. But I still value your input.

Thanks
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-01-16 1:04 AM (#120171 - in reply to #120164)

Marshall do one thing really well and acoustic amps ain't it.
alpep
Posted 2007-01-16 7:22 AM (#120172 - in reply to #120164)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Marshall do one thing really well and acoustic amps ain't it.
true
Brian T
Posted 2007-01-16 7:50 AM (#120173 - in reply to #120164)

And you touch on something that will probably keep my amp choice on the "smaller" side of things.
That's one thing I forgot to mention. The Marshall AS50r is nice and compact and very easy to tote around. It also is pretty cool looking.

Personally I think I'd go for the 60 watt Genz Benz if you are going to pull the trigger on something right away. I am pretty sure along with a few more watts it has a larger speaker.
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-16 8:54 PM (#120174 - in reply to #120164)

i like my marshall. if i was going to upgrade i would get an AER like tommy emmanuel uses. they are highly recommended by the folks at www.dreamguitars.com too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)