The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Q598 Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Bradley
Posted 2007-01-18 12:23 AM (#119968)
Subject: Adamas Q598 Question

Hi all,

I'm the one that bought Dan's Q598. This is my first CVT and I have a question about it. I tried Kim at Ovation, but he's off to NAMM.

Anyway, I noticed that the top dips down around where the neck joins the body. Feeling the top from the edge where the neck/fretboard join the body down past the soundholes, there is a definate dip in the top. I can imagine that under the top there is a solid block of wood where the neck joins. The dip seems to be around this block.

Has anyone else out there ever seen this before?

Also, I wouldn't mind hearing other people's opinions about the Adamas Q CVT. I guess I was expecting something that sounded a lot like my Adamas II, and it doesn't. I haven't tried it plugged in yet. I read on the board that a couple of players here actually played this very guitar. How did you find the tone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
noah
Posted 2007-01-18 4:03 AM (#119969 - in reply to #119968)
Subject: Re: Adamas Q598 Question

Call John Budny @ ext 120.

"I noticed that the top dips down around where the neck joins the body. Feeling the top from the edge where the neck/fretboard join the body down past the soundholes, there is a definate dip in the top... Has anyone else out there ever seen this before?"

Not on that guitar. It used to be mine. This does not sound right. Did the guitar come to you that way?

"I guess I was expecting something that sounded a lot like my Adamas II, and it doesn't."

In December, there were posts suggesting that you trade your newly purchased mint Adamas II shallow bowl 12-string for the Q598. I posted something like: If you had just aggressively pursued the sound of a textured top Adamas, why would you be interested in trading for the Q598? The guitars are different animals.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-18 10:55 AM (#119970 - in reply to #119968)

If you expect a CVT or SMT to sound like an Adamas, you'll be disappointed. They are nice guitars in their own right, but have a far different sound than an Adamas. If it was me I'd look around for a used Adamas 12-string. They pop up frequently. Or bite the bullet on the U681-12. That one will be an amazing instrument with high collectability. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2007-01-18 3:18 PM (#119971 - in reply to #119968)

Bradley,

I also had it in my hands...it isn't a "textured top" but, as I was impressed with the 2080 (6-str), it is a great sounding and playing guitar. It is a mid bowl-unfortunately, anything less than a deep bowl (or woodtop dreadnought)
is an acoustic compromise for playing position. Not much, but there is a difference.

The 2080 is a different animal than the 1687 Adamas I's that I have (deep bowl) but is a great sounding guitar. My 6759 Custom Legend (mid bowl) is a slight compromise from the deep bowl Custom Legends (1658, 1659) that I have.

Personally, I don't think you would have been happy with the shallow bowl. The shallow bowl Adamas II that I had for about six months just sat on the wall.

As to the guitar, not sure what strings you are using...I use the Adamas 1616's (PB, light) on my Ovation and Adamas 12's. Worst that could happen is let John or Kim check it out at the factory.

As to a mid-bowl, the 6759 Custom Legend (wood) or the Q are the only real choices.
Bradley
Posted 2007-01-18 9:24 PM (#119972 - in reply to #119968)

I exchanged emails with John at Ovation today. He said that some dipping (not the way he put it, but I can't remember what he called) is normal. He also suggested that if I'm still concerned to ship it back to the mothership for inspection. We'll see...

For strings, I put on a set of extra light D'Addario Phosper Bronze. I normally don't go that light. I'll try a light set next.

I'm also going to try the Q plugged in this weekend.
worshipleader
Posted 2007-01-19 2:35 PM (#119973 - in reply to #119968)

Now plugged in ... oooh baby! :D
Bradley
Posted 2007-01-20 12:19 AM (#119974 - in reply to #119968)

Originally posted by noah:
Call John Budny @ ext 120.

"I noticed that the top dips down around where the neck joins the body. Feeling the top from the edge where the neck/fretboard join the body down past the soundholes, there is a definate dip in the top... Has anyone else out there ever seen this before?"

Not on that guitar. It used to be mine. This does not sound right. Did the guitar come to you that way?

I only had the guitar for 3 days before noticing this. I didn't do anything that could cause this in a few days. I did take off the access port in the back tonight to take a look. Now I know a little bit more about this. The slight dip directly corresponds with the position of the braces. In other words, the dip begins exactly at the beginning of the braces. It is possible that you never noticed this before. I saw it because of a reflection in the mirror. I'll go along with John said, it is probably normal and nothing to worry about!

"I guess I was expecting something that sounded a lot like my Adamas II, and it doesn't."

In December, there were posts suggesting that you trade your newly purchased mint Adamas II shallow bowl 12-string for the Q598. I posted something like: If you had just aggressively pursued the sound of a textured top Adamas, why would you be interested in trading for the Q598? The guitars are different animals.
I must have missed this post. Because this is an Adamas and therefore a top-of-the-line Ovation, I was expecting the sound to be different. It isn't, however after the intial brightness of the new strings has worn off I'm beginning to enjoy the sound a lot. I really miss the ringing tones of my old Glen Campbell 12-string. This has the same sound, but MORE! I don't doubt this guitar and I are going to make beautiful music together ;)
noah
Posted 2007-01-20 2:04 AM (#119975 - in reply to #119968)

Bradley, Check the Relative Humidity that the guitar is in. Three days in a dry environment could cause wood bracing to shrink a little. I kept your guitar's sibling and another unique CVT. I checked both and neither exhibit what you describe... average RH of 50% @ 65 degrees.
Bradley
Posted 2007-01-20 12:45 PM (#119976 - in reply to #119968)

Bradley, Check the Relative Humidity that the guitar is in. Three days in a dry environment could cause wood bracing to shrink a little. I kept your guitar's sibling and another unique CVT. I checked both and neither exhibit what you describe... average RH of 50% @ 65 degrees.
Noah,

The first 3 days it was here we were having above average temps. It was actually raining in January here near Chicago. The RH in my room where I keep the Q was 45 @ 68 degrees. Only starting Monday did winter return. I have put a humidity gauge inside the case of the Q to check it out. My other cases are still around 42.

I'll keep you updated. I think the guitar is going to be fine.
Bradley
Posted 2007-01-20 11:53 PM (#119977 - in reply to #119968)

Originally posted by Bradley:
Noah,

The first 3 days it was here we were having above average temps. It was actually raining in January here near Chicago. The RH in my room where I keep the Q was 45 @ 68 degrees. Only starting Monday did winter return. I have put a humidity gauge inside the case of the Q to check it out. My other cases are still around 42.

I'll keep you updated. I think the guitar is going to be fine.
Well, my humidity gauge has been in the case all done. I just checked it and it said 42. It is ~69 degrees here, so I still don't think it was the lack of humidity.

BTW, the light strings I had put on were Elixers. They sound good on this guitar :D
Bradley
Posted 2007-01-21 10:13 AM (#119978 - in reply to #119968)

Well, I finally plugged the Q into my amp. WOW! Nice acoustic sound out of these pickups. A real plus for the Q.

Just curious, how many other Q owners are there out in OFC land????
Styll
Posted 2007-01-21 10:51 PM (#119979 - in reply to #119968)

Hey Tup...

You kind of threw me off with something you had written...when you wrote a smt or cvt isnt an Adamas??? I have a 1597...

or did i misread?
cliff
Posted 2007-01-21 11:24 PM (#119980 - in reply to #119968)

the only thing they have in common is the name on the headstock.

"Sound"wise . . . they ain't the same . . . .
Bradley
Posted 2007-01-21 11:30 PM (#119981 - in reply to #119968)

Originally posted by cliff:
the only thing they have in common is the name on the headstock.

"Sound"wise . . . they ain't the same . . . .
So, given the "original" Adamas, the CVT and the SMT models, what is the purpose of each. The original sound is very deep. What is the SMT and the CVT sound suppose to be like????
Styll
Posted 2007-01-22 1:37 AM (#119982 - in reply to #119968)

I am extremely happy with the sound my 1597 delivers....I persoanlly think its one of the best sounding guitars out there...

Not an Adamas? Did i miss something when I bought this guitar?
cliff
Posted 2007-01-22 8:21 AM (#119983 - in reply to #119968)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to "slam" somebody's model(s). The CVT's/SMT's are FINE instruments. I'm STILL kicking myself for not snatching up StandingO's StealthSMT when he had it up on the block, and I'd absolutely LOVE to have a pair(6/12) of ssb CobaltBlue CVT's for gigs.

What I was saying is that (to my ears, anyway) there's a big difference in the sound of the textured-topped A's.

Trying to TYPE what that diffence in words is like trying to describe what an orange looks/tastes like to someone who's never seen/eaten one.
Y'really have to HEAR 'em side-by-side, but in essence, they just sound more "open". There's just a lot "more" of "everything" (and SOME people might not even LIKE that).

Again, I'm not slamming the smooth-toppers. ALOT of people like their acoustic sound, and the looks/stability of the tops make 'em GREAT for gigging. I just happen to prefer the acoustic volume/tone of the textured-top A's.

There's gotta be a "reason" why they're using these tops on the newest models (and why these models sound so good).

THIS is yet another reason to try t'make every effort to make it to one of the Tours or a regional gathering. Y'get to expose yourself "first ear" to the inherent differences in these instruments.

It's All Good . . .
noah
Posted 2007-01-22 9:23 AM (#119984 - in reply to #119968)

good rebound cliff
cliff
Posted 2007-01-22 10:13 AM (#119985 - in reply to #119968)

I tried my best "Rumsfeld" . . .
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-22 10:38 AM (#119986 - in reply to #119968)

Will this mean there could be a "surge" in Tour attendance this year?

:rolleyes:
Weaser P
Posted 2007-01-22 12:15 PM (#119987 - in reply to #119968)

With some of the guitars that should show, there'll definitely be some "shock and awe".
Tony Calman
Posted 2007-01-22 12:27 PM (#119988 - in reply to #119968)

there is a difference in the Textured Top and the SMT/CVT...that "Adamas sound". However, there is a reason that the SMT or CVT models are in the Adamas line. Personally, both the SMT and CVT are great guitars.

It really comes down to personal preference and the extra dollars for the Textured Top. Unfortunately, hard to find a Textured Top, SMT, or CVT to play but the Tour or a get-together is important to be able to play to compare.

Al's efforts to get us the 12-str version of the U681T is very appreciated. Excellent opportunity to get a very limited run, unique guitar.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-26 7:47 PM (#119989 - in reply to #119968)

Originally posted by Styll:
Hey Tup... You kind of threw me off with something you had written...when you wrote a smt or cvt isnt an Adamas?
OK, everyone loves their guitars and there is a job in this world for every tool in the box.

That being said, some people are closed minded traditionalists. Call me one of them. It's like The Ford Mustang II that was built in 1974 based on the smaller Pinto platform, with only 4 and 6 cyl engine options. These were fine cars which definately served a purpose and Ford sold by the ton. But traditionalists refused to call them "real" Mustangs. To me there is only one Adamas and that's the old textured top original A1 and A2. Btw, some people would argue that even the A2 is not a real Adamas.

There's plenty of other analogies. The 70s/80s Thunderbird. A perfectly fine car. Was that a "real" Thunderbird? Same name, but didn't look like anything I saw in "American Graffiti". What about Celebrity guitars. Some folks don't call them "Ovation". What if after Ovation had discontinued the Breadwinner, they rolled out the Preacher but decided to call it "Breadwinner"? Nice guitar, but sure different than the Breadwinner that most of use remember.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the CVT/SMT guitars at all. And lord knows Styll you play the hell out of yours compared to anything I could ever do. But to me it's a different guitar with the same name. That's all. I owned a smooth topped CVT super shallow custom stealth and it's probably the best gigging guitar imaginable (minus the team of servents to keep it clean). But to me it wasn't an Adamas.

If you consider Adamas to be a "company", then yes anything that says Adamas on the headstock is an Adamas. But I consider Adamas to be a certain "model" of Ovation. And yes, I have a very narrow bandwidth of what qualifies (to me) as one of those models.

Now, maybe old dogs can be taught a new trick or two. I am in the process of falling into a guitar that looks nothing like an A1 or A2, it doesn't even look like something most people have ever seen before And it's got a smooth shiny top. And it says "Adamas" on it. If it earns the name (to me) I'll call it an Adamas.

Dave
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-01-26 8:06 PM (#119990 - in reply to #119968)

If you sit around your house playing your guitar you can make any comparison you like between cedar/spruce, rosewood/mahogany, CVT/SMT, quadratriticale/dog-turd or whatever and you will probably come up with a conclusion as to which one sounds best, that's your privelige to do so. When you need a functional tool to make music and pay the rent the difference between Adamas tops kinda becomes academic.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-26 8:29 PM (#119991 - in reply to #119968)

... which is why I said the SMT that I owned would have been I great gigging guitar. If someone with my talent could actually get a gig, which they can't.

Now bugger off, Professor! Btw, Moody's dog damn near ate the freaking cheque! I went to the bank to cash it and she said if the dog ate it from the other end I would have been screwed.

Dave

PS: Rosewood is far superior to mahog and I don't know what a quadratriticale is ...
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-01-26 8:46 PM (#119992 - in reply to #119968)

Ah Haaaa! You said cheque instead of check. Haaaa haaaa haaaa!!!!!, that Brit pill I put in your Coors Lite is taking effect. Pretty soon you'll be drinking tea, driving on the wrong side of the road and molesting farm animals!!!! Haaaaaaa! I am the MASTER, Kneel before me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)