The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Betrayed.... Mr. O is crying....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Yak
Posted 2007-01-23 8:26 AM (#119324)
Subject: Betrayed.... Mr. O is crying....

I took the plunge this weekend and bought an electric. Somehow I kinda feel like I betrayed my beloved 1771LX. Its going to be hard to make time for both.

Being a newbie I didn't want to drop too much cash. One of my main concerns was finding a neck that felt as good as my O's neck. Not an easy task I must say. I looked at Schecter, ESP, Gibson, Jackson, Ibanez, and various Strats. I went in there thinking I was going to get a Jackson for sure. The Jackson and Fender have the "meatiest" neck while still being 25.5 and 1-11/16 nut. ESP and Ibanez felt way thin, too thin. Gibson is way fat, and the quality was horrid in my price range. Schecter was a good honorable mention, but seemed to be more about "bling" than anything else.

So, I ended up getting a Highway One Stratocaster (upgraded). Entry level USA made strat. The good news... picked it up for $150 less than advertised on GC and MF. Now thats a steal!

Im impressed with the quality. People may pass off Fender as the Ford or GM of guitars, but I can't knock the quality of this thing one bit. The neck is finished like butter! The factory setup kinda stank, but most guitars shipped here end up being weird, as its one of the dryest places in the USA. Setup was a breeze, as everything is adjustable with an allen wrench and philips.

Now its just a matter of learning how to play :D

Can't wait to learn how to get this thing 'a squawkin'!

PS. Looking at some of those other brands, such as the low end Gibson really give me new appreciation for the quality and value of the Ovations. Now I've seen what a truly crap guitar is like. I always stuck to the acoustic room and even the low end guitars such as the Takamines and Celebrities have great build quality compared to what you'll see on the electric side. I guess people hold acoustics to a higher standard like its a fine furniture, where electrics are just tools.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2007-01-23 12:25 PM (#119325 - in reply to #119324)
Subject: Re: Betrayed.... Mr. O is crying....

AWRIGHT!!!! Another happy Fender owner.....I have four Strats and couldn't agree with you more. I'm not fond of the Highway Ones, but only because they are matte finish, and I prefer gloss. But they are super for the money.

NOW.....what ya usin' for an amp????? THAT makes a bigger difference in electric sound than acoustic. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe and Blues Junior....tube amps are preferred for tone(back-to-back with your guitar will tell the tale, been there, done that). But solid-state modeling amps are good if you must play "high-gain" at low volume.

Half of the tone is the guitar, half the amp.

Roger
Yak
Posted 2007-01-23 1:28 PM (#119326 - in reply to #119324)

Well, as of now, I only have my Roland Cube 30. It sounds decent to my ears but Im not getting that thick "bluesy" squawk like have heard on so many other Strats. Im not sure if its just me, the guitar or the amp, really. The Jazz Chorus Clean setting is OK, as well as the Tweed. I haven't got a change to really play at adequate volumes to really bring it out though.

Yeah.. you are right about the Hwy 1. For $750...ehhh ... but $599... I'll take it! Nothing else in that price range compared IMO.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2007-01-23 5:43 PM (#119327 - in reply to #119324)

Yak, amazingly I also have a Roland Cube 30. It's a good amp, but to get that "squawk", you need to use the Marshall "stack" setting or the "Metal".....that gets you into "high-gain" territory.

Even then, it might not be what you're looking for. The easiest way to get there is to put a tube amp into overdrive with a lotta gain and volume. If you go solid-state, it can be done with lower volume with a "drive" channel or a smaller amp like a Vox Pathfinder 10 or 15R (I have a 10) using the overdrive button.

Roger
Joyful Noise
Posted 2007-01-23 6:29 PM (#119328 - in reply to #119324)

I've found that the secret to a good electric blues tone, is to use a low watt all-tube amp.

Keep the gain down somewhat so you don't push the pre-amp tube output into distortion and set the master high to push the power tubes to saturation. This will give you clean highs, and lows with a rumble. If you need a little more dirt, then increase the gain some, or even better use a boost pedal to increase the level of the signal going into the pre-amp. There are some good compressors out now (the Keeley Compressor probably being the best)that are very good at increasing sustain as well as giving you the ability to adjust the input level to the pre-amp just right.

I've never cared much for overdrive pedals, they sound synthetic to me and tend to make chords sound too muddy, although they can be useful for lead if you really need to scream.

The Fender Blues Jr. is a good little amp, but if you need clean it can't really do that well. Just about any Fender twin can give you alot of versatility, since they do clean very well and can rumble with the best. You still need to be able to play at a moderately high volume to get that tone, and so low power tube amps are better than high wattage ones since you can push those power tubes to saturation without breaking windows. My Pro-Tube Series Twin is 100 watts but has a switch that allows you to cut that to 25 watts. You probably won't ever need more than 25 watts no matter where you play. Tube watts are generally perceived to be louder than solid state watts and even the 15watt Blues Jr. is plenty loud enough for most situations.

Tube amps aren't cheap but their sound cannot be duplicated very well using solid state components.
dvd
Posted 2007-01-23 8:35 PM (#119329 - in reply to #119324)

It's been mentioned around here a few times.. the Epiphone Valve Jr is a 5-watt tube amp with a lot of character for under $150. It's on my wish-list so I can't comment on it directly.. but a couple of people around here have them and have had good things to say.
Tommy M.
Posted 2007-01-23 8:42 PM (#119330 - in reply to #119324)

Good luck with the stratocaster, I own a 1972 strat, and when I hunger for that clean single coil sound, I pick it up. I think one of the biggest differences on the American models is the electronics, and the neck.
an4340
Posted 2007-01-23 9:17 PM (#119331 - in reply to #119324)

I like the fenders (and fender copies) because they are easy to work on, if you want to upgrade or fix something. Congrats on your new addition.

My recommendation for your first 3 electric songs are:
Before you accuse me-Diddley
I'm a man-Diddley Waters (I blend the two versions)
Not fade away-Stones Music and Holly's lyrics. At least get that diddley rhtym down.

Anyone else have recommendations for first electric songs?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-23 11:35 PM (#119332 - in reply to #119324)

Topic: Betrayed.... Mr. O is crying....

Oh, I'm guilty too. I've been playing my pseudo-Strat, working on barre-chords lately. They are easier on it.

Total Betrayal-- I got a pseudo-SG coming! (Silvertone)
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-23 11:48 PM (#119333 - in reply to #119324)

Congrats on your new Strat!!

I have a strat that rarely gets played these days. I decided to keep it for sentimental reasons, and its possibility to be a collectible in the future. Mine's an '83 model, that has a volume control and only one tone control. The output jack took the place of the 2nd tone control. I'd been told that CBS, who owned Fender at that time, manufactured them to cut costs. I think it's what makes them unique, and as far as I know not many of them were made, even though they go up for sale at ebay every now and then.
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-24 12:17 AM (#119334 - in reply to #119324)

I have been walking on the dark side. Cheap Fender copy parts off of Ebay. I can appreciate a nicely made Strat or Tele now.

I still hold out that the Ovation solids were ahead of their time.
Jason_S
Posted 2007-01-24 2:56 AM (#119335 - in reply to #119324)

i got a rik 12 string and a custom built(by me) mahog tele deluxe with a 1 3/4 nutwidth cbs strat neck. nothing wrong with other flavors. they hang on the wall with the rest of the bunch.

i had to move the tele away from the adamas cuz they fought alot.you know the drill the old wood vs.space age carbon fibre deal..lol

congrats on the strat....jason
fillhixx
Posted 2007-01-24 11:51 AM (#119336 - in reply to #119324)

Originally posted by MWoody:
I still hold out that the Ovation solids were ahead of their time.
Is the world ready even yet?

On topic, my 'new-to-me' 12 string has been virtually ignored until I played two songs on it for company and passed it around last night. So no jealousy in our house.

'Course, I may be spending a bit too much time with the ukelele....it's just laying around the house saying, "hold me, carry me." Even if it won't stay in tune..... :rolleyes:
gh1
Posted 2007-01-24 2:16 PM (#119337 - in reply to #119324)

Originally posted by Yak:
... and bought an electric. Somehow I kinda feel like I betrayed my beloved 1771LX. Its going to be hard to make time for both.
I hear you. I bought an electric (Soloway Swan) a couple of weeks ago ... haven't picked up an acoustic since. The tone just frigging ROCKS!

_____
gh1
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-01-24 2:24 PM (#119338 - in reply to #119324)

I've been looking at the Highway One myself. I like the simplicity, and it is a Made In USA strat I believe. Might upgrade a few things, but bang vs buck for a Fender, I think it's a good deal.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2007-01-24 5:59 PM (#119339 - in reply to #119324)

Re: Low-wattage tube amp.....yes, there's the Epiphone Valve Junior, but Fender also introduced a 5-watt tube amp at NAMM, called the Champion 600. It's a "reissue" (but not really, it's voiced much hotter) of the 1949-53 Fender Champ. There are many, MANY people waiting for this to show up in the shops, supposedly next month. Street price is supposed to be $200.

I'm one of those waiting. It stinks not being able to crank either of my tube amps up enough to get tone.

Roger
Northcountry
Posted 2007-01-24 6:28 PM (#119340 - in reply to #119324)

Ahh Man there is a nice old Strat locally I am looking at! Your making me get all GASsey.
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-24 6:34 PM (#119341 - in reply to #119324)

I should have a Preacher redo with Viper pickups ready after this week end so hold on to your bread money! Deluxe neck and an interesting PG (what else?).

Like I said, the O solids rule!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)