The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Here's what I don't like about GC

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Yak
Posted 2007-01-23 8:57 AM (#119282)
Subject: Here's what I don't like about GC

I was discussing this with my wife earlier this week and you know, this really irritates me!

When you buy a guitar from Guitar Center, they always try and give you the same guitar that was on the rack. Why don't they just keep a stock of guitars in the back, or order you a new one? Why not just keep the same guitar out on the rack for demo purposes and sell it later as a demo model at a discount or cost if the model ever changes instead? I hate how they act like its no big deal that your guitar has had the crap beat out of it and they pass it off as a "new" guitar. Its not new, its used! If I wanted a used guitar, why would I come here and pay new guitar prices? Its like buying a new car that has 10,000 miles on it, and the dealer telling you, "oh...it's ok, its only had test drives."
...LAME!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2007-01-23 10:31 AM (#119283 - in reply to #119282)
Subject: Re: Here's what I don't like about GC

I've got a friend whose completely the reverse, when offered a "fresh guitar from downstairs" he says no way, this one plays great. And he's always right, the display model has been set up well, and the one from the basement doesn't have the mojo. So there you go. If you wanted to, you could haggle and get some bucks knocked off the price.

I solved my problem with guitar center, I just don't buy guitars there.
vcnyls
Posted 2007-01-23 10:43 AM (#119284 - in reply to #119282)

I think the theory is that they do such a volume in sales that none of their guitar sit on the shelves (hooks) for long enough to get beat up. Personally, I look at it on a case by case basis... If I were buying a cheaper/very popular guitar (i.e. mexican fender or lower end epiphone) I'd have no problem taking the one on the rack. However, if I were buying a nice guitar which every player who comes into the store asks to play so he can say he played a $5000 ____ today, then I'd get a fresh one.

But I also try not to buy from them...

The problem with this argument is, of course, that you're just as likely to get a guitar that lots of people played when buying from a smaller/independent shop. So I'm not sure it's a solely GC problem...

- JT
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-01-23 10:44 AM (#119285 - in reply to #119282)

I've bought two acoustic guitars and one electric from GC. On both acoustics, they went and got me a boxed one from stock. On the electric, I picked the one I wanted off the wall. That way I got the woodgrain that I wanted.
Omaha
Posted 2007-01-23 10:45 AM (#119286 - in reply to #119282)

I agree. When I play a guitar and decide I want to buy it, I want to buy that exact unit. One from the warehouse may not feel the same, look the same, etc.

If it has noticable shop wear, then point out any nicks or dings and (a) have them clean it up (fresh strings, buff it out, setup, etc) and (b) knock a couple bucks off the price.
Yak
Posted 2007-01-23 10:46 AM (#119287 - in reply to #119282)

Well, I guess that works as long as they are setup well to begin with. 95% of the ones I've played I would change anyway. Most of the axes I've seen on display have been hit with a heavy pick hand too, which makes it used IMO. No problem as long as they recognize that, but they don't.

Also, you know that saying, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Im far more meticulous than the guy trying to get 10 guitars a day ready for the racks. I'll take my time, read up on good sites like Frets.com and do it myself.

If that manufacturer has such spotty Quality Control that you can't trust their fresh product won't be adequate from the factory, then maybe you should consider a better brand. IMO

Id order any new USA O sight unseen...
wilblee
Posted 2007-01-23 11:10 AM (#119288 - in reply to #119282)

GC's vary A LOT location to location. There's quite a bit of difference between the two locations in Austin, both in terms of stock and service. The one I go to has great personnel and a more extensive (deep and wide) selection than any other store in town (and I'm talkin' Austin). I bought my 1778 LX off the wall. It was just how I wanted it and in great shape. When I bought my 6756 LX I tried the one on the wall and three out of stock and picked the one I wanted. When I got the 2007 BCS they had to special order it, but they stated that if I didn't like it, I didn't have to take it and they'd give me a full refund (I loved and love it). I also got my Martin and my Bose from them. I got the Martin off the wall (it was and is heroin).

In general, though, it has always boggled my mind that so many retailers are clueless as to customer service and the value of repeat business. If you think music stores are bad (and a lot of them are), try buying some high end audio equipment...
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2007-01-23 12:39 PM (#119289 - in reply to #119282)

I passed on an American Strat at my local GC a couple of months ago for just that very reason.....it had two or three BIG dings ALL the way through the paint....and while I was offered a deal on it, I decided I wanted a NEW guitar, even if I had to pay more for it.

The biggest problem is the kids that come every day after school and beat the crap out of all the electrics they can reach at my local GC. They don't have anyone really keeping it under control. I've watched this on many occasions.

Roger
sloppyjoe
Posted 2007-01-23 1:02 PM (#119290 - in reply to #119282)

I like the GC but that is just me, I feel that we need a place to go and try them all. I mean how will you know how much you like it, and what kind of biz would they have if they just left them on the shelf, now that does not mean I feel they should sell old beaters wiyh new prices. I just feel they have a pretty good way of doing things, and if you really want a new one they will be more than happy to get one for you. Just my experience with them so far, but the guy I deal with is the best. JOE>
Slartibartfast
Posted 2007-01-23 1:28 PM (#119291 - in reply to #119282)

I've bought four guitars from GC, two in the store and two online (MusiciansFriend). I bought a Celebrity for which they had a new one in box in-store, and then an Elite off the wall. After getting the Elite home I noticed some pretty serious problems with the finish and returned it where they offered to "find a new one" for me since they didn't have one in stock. A week or so later the "new one" arrives, which was obviously used and in worse shape than the one I'd returned. A different wall unit was in better shape so I took it and it's been fine (shoulda just grabbed it in the first place, but they insisted the one I took was "newer").

Since then I've just ordered on-line from MusiciansFriend and have had very good success. My Strat arrived with the wrong color fretboard and I had it back in the box with an RMA freight sticker in time to catch the same FedEx driver picking up at the mailbox store. "I just dropped that off!" ;) This was due to MFs phone support being quick enough to make that possible. I can't complain about that at all.

Personally I think GC is great for stuff like cables, books, strings, etc. I like the convenience of being able to pop in and browse/grab something.
Styll
Posted 2007-01-23 4:18 PM (#119292 - in reply to #119282)

Personally...when I am buying new...I want new.

Ive been in too many guitar shops and have seen what some of these guitars go through.
My problem with GC policy is that someone should be in the rooms at all times for assistance.
Ive seen too many knicks, dings, and drops.
I have had problems with buying off the rack...and will only buy ones that i see come out of the box.
cliff
Posted 2007-01-23 4:35 PM (#119293 - in reply to #119282)

I just simplify things, and buy from Alpep.
Erniewan
Posted 2007-01-23 9:59 PM (#119294 - in reply to #119282)

one quick note on music books....AMAZON...

Amazon.com is a great resource for guitar song books. They are sold at great discounts, and you can get free shipping for orders over 25 dollars.

GC sells every book at MSRP.

Ernie
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-23 11:32 PM (#119295 - in reply to #119282)

While I have come close, I still have yet to purchase a guitar at GC. Well, I did got a Jasmine from them when I purchased 10 sets of EXP strings last year, but that's another story. Anyway, the guitar ended getting raffled away at my sister's baby shower.

I'm fortunate to live in a place that has 3 SAs and 2 GCs, and all are within reasonable driving distance from my house. I have purchased two guitars from SA, and both of them came fresh out of the box, instead of the ones that are on display in their so-called "acoustic" room. Personally, I prefer to make business with a local merchant...

With the exception of the DX-1 which was used, all the guitars I acquired were brand new. The only guitar on display that I purchased happens to be the sweetest sounding dreadnaught with herringbone trim, which I acquired from Mandolin Bros. It took a little over an hour to drive there + 9 bucks to cross the Verazzano Bridge, but definitely worth the trip. I had a choice between that or the one that they had in stock, but the one on display sounded much better and the playability was awesome.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-24 12:11 AM (#119296 - in reply to #119282)

First, I'm poor and cheap (thrifty)... I go to GC to do research. I'm one of the jerks that just goes in to play for free.
If the situation arose that I wanted a display model, I would ask for a discount cuz it IS used!
I just tried an electric at Apple Music, and I liked it. The next day I came with cash, but it was gone. So I am buying the same make/model from Music123. It is cheaper, but I have to wait. But it seems that they will exchange it if necessary, and PAY ALL THE POSTAGE! How cool.
But buying an Acoustic... I want the same one I played, and I want a Discount cuz it is used!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-24 12:12 AM (#119297 - in reply to #119282)

First, I'm poor and cheap (thrifty)... I go to GC to do research. I'm one of the jerks that just goes in to play for free.
If the situation arose that I wanted a display model, I would ask for a discount cuz it IS used!
I just tried an electric at Apple Music, and I liked it. The next day I came with cash, but it was gone. So I am buying the same make/model from Music123. It is cheaper, but I have to wait. But it seems that they will exchange it if necessary, and PAY ALL THE POSTAGE! How cool.
But buying an Acoustic... I want the same one I played, and I want a Discount cuz it is used!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-24 12:15 AM (#119298 - in reply to #119282)

I just tried an electric at Apple Music, and I liked it. The next day I came with cash, but it was gone. So I am buying the same make/model from Music123. (GC might own them too) It is cheaper, but I have to wait. But it seems that they will exchange it if necessary, and PAY ALL THE POSTAGE! How cool.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-24 12:44 AM (#119299 - in reply to #119282)

Major Apology to all O-cultists...

I have NO idea why that post is in triplicate.
Whomever is the Controller-person who can fix this, Please delete two of them.
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-24 9:20 AM (#119300 - in reply to #119282)

That has happened to me too. I asked for it to be deleted, and Al fixed it for me. :)
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-01-24 9:42 AM (#119301 - in reply to #119282)

I use GC for cables and miscellaneous stuff, but rarely mess with any of their guitars other than in the high-end room. I have purchased guitars and amps on MF, and have come close to picking up an amp at the local GC. While visiting my daughter in Boston, I dropped into a GC near BU, played a Gibson ES-135, and then made a low-ball offer that they actually accepted on the spot, after which I convinced them to toss in a beat up vintage case as well, although I had to wait a week or so as as the guitar had not yet been cleared by the police. Sounds like pawn shop protocol. Although I would never intentionally look to a GC store for a guitar, I might occasionally stumble into something on the fly.
Joey Joe
Posted 2007-01-24 9:44 AM (#119302 - in reply to #119282)

GC is like any other retail store - buyer beware. It's our responsibility as buyers to fully inspect the guitar we purchse BEFORE dropping down the dough.

Since the Canton, MI store opened about 7 or 8 years ago I have purchased 4 guitars from them (and a few amps, effects boards, etc.). None of them needed set-up (the Ovations were pristine right from the word "go"). In fact, after 6 years of beating the snot out of my American Tele, I just had to have it set-up/tweaked. There is a smaller music supply store that just opened locally - their repair/set-up guy is Bob Seger's guitar tech. Not too shabby.

Also, when I special-ordered my Custom Legend in '00, they loaned a comparable CL off the rack until my special came in - almost 3 months. Also gave me a great deal on my American Tele, and tossed in a new case cheap on the '05 Collectors I recently purchased.

No complaints from me about GC. They've always been very helpful with new purchases, and given me fair value on trades.
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-24 10:01 AM (#119303 - in reply to #119282)

Originally posted by ignimbyte:

With the exception of the DX-1 which was used, all the guitars I acquired were brand new. The only guitar on display that I purchased happens to be the sweetest sounding dreadnaught with herringbone trim, which I acquired from Mandolin Bros. It took a little over an hour to drive there + 9 bucks to cross the Verazzano Bridge, but definitely worth the trip. I had a choice between that or the one that they had in stock, but the one on display sounded much better and the playability was awesome.
Oopppssss .... I forgot to mention about my recently acquired Custom Legend, which happens to be a display model. It's an old stock, but nevertheless, brand new! Now that makes two! :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)