The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Strange Top Buzz, source?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

JeremyB
Posted 2010-02-25 8:26 AM (#4015)
Subject: Strange Top Buzz, source?

Greetings! I am new around here, so let me introduce myself. My name is Jeremy and I'm a music tech student. I have an Ovation Legend, 1867, which I think is a 2003 model. Bought it new and used it regularly since. I love the guitar! It's got a mellow, soft tone which is ideal for jazz, and is so easy to play that I never have to think about being able to form weird chords. It's my workhorse, I take it to school everyday, I teach on it, I travel with it, etc.
Anyway, sometimes the top buzzes, like a fuzzy distortion. I can't isolate the sound, and it seems to be sporadic. I do know that it only occurs when playing certain low notes, usually in the open E to D string range.
My guitar teacher suggested that the wires to the electronics may be resting against the top, causing vibration. Does this sound right? Could it be something else?
Perhaps if I can make it happen again, I'll record it and post it here somehow.
Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
scooterboy
Posted 2010-02-25 8:40 AM (#4016 - in reply to #4015)
Subject: Re: Strange Top Buzz, source?

This may sound counter-intuitive, but check the nuts securing the tuners on the top of the headstock.

Those will buzz if they're loose but the sound can be very hard to localize, making you think it's coming from the bridge or inside the top.
BT717
Posted 2010-02-25 10:06 AM (#4017 - in reply to #4015)

I had the same problem with my 1767 legend. I was advised to check the "clamp" in side the bowl that holds all the wires in place.
Once I fixed it 95% of the buzzing went away.

See this thread:

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ge...

Oh and welcome!!
Patch
Posted 2010-02-25 10:18 AM (#4018 - in reply to #4015)

Originally posted by scooterboy:
This may sound counter-intuitive, but check the nuts securing the tuners on the top of the headstock.

Those will buzz if they're loose but the sound can be very hard to localize, making you think it's coming from the bridge or inside the top.
Good advice

Originally posted by BT717:
I had the same problem with my 1767 legend. I was advised to check the "clamp" in side the bowl that holds all the wires in place.
Also good advice.

Additionally, tighten the nut holding the jack in place. That fixed the same problem for me once.

Also, tighten the screws for the strap pins.

In other words, tighten anything that is screwed or bolted into place and see if it helps.

If not, it's time to have someone check the braces.

Good luck!
bvince
Posted 2010-02-25 10:55 AM (#4019 - in reply to #4015)

I was going to say the same thing. After you check all the things mentioned above, look inside and see if any of the braces are loose/unglued. You can also tap the top in different places with the side of your thumb, and see if you hear a snare drum sound.

I just had two different guitars that had brace issues. They were probably caused by them being bumped around during shipping or transportation.

Either way, if that is what it is, the fatory can fix it. If you are the original owner it will be covered under warranty.
TAFKAR
Posted 2010-02-25 9:29 PM (#4020 - in reply to #4015)

Another possibility is the springs holding the battery in place. I fixed a buzzing once by wedging a small piece of cardboard under the battery. This is easy to test for - does the problem go away if you remove the battery?
bvince
Posted 2010-02-26 12:59 PM (#4021 - in reply to #4015)

Looks like you have all the bases covered now (: Good Luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)