The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My New Ovation [Part 2]

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-26 6:52 PM (#118600)
Subject: My New Ovation [Part 2]

The bottom feeder has done it again! ... and things just got even better...

I'd been enjoying my 1869 for quite sometime now, but I started to have second thoughts after having had the opportunity to play Mitchrx's CL. I was completely blown away by the sound and tone of his guitar ... I think the deep bowl made all the difference.

So I fantasized about the possibility of sending my SSB custom legend to the mothership, and have it converted into a deep bowl. If possible, have the OP Pro preamp installed, so it can mimic the appearance [and hopefully the sound] of an Al Dimeola model. The only difference, given its cherry burst finish and the Kaman bar.

Today, I stopped by the shop where I purchased my CL, and inquired to the store manager how much he would resell my old girlfriend [1861 balladeer], since Barata had expressed his interest in possibly purchasing it. I also told him how much I was enjoying my new guitar, and added my thoughts about sending it to the factory for the above-mentioned modifications.

The store manager immediately replied that I don't need to, because he happened to have a deep bowl custom legend [1719] in stock. He took the guitar out from the basement, I played it, and it was love at first strum! I mean "wow!!" I asked if it's still possible to make a deal, to which he said yes.

The verdict: I handed in my two-week old SSB custom legend back to him + $50 bucks cash.

As of today, Jan. 26, 2007, I am the proud owner of a deep bowl Custom Legend [1719]!!! Just like the previous CL, this guitar is also old stock, but brand new with the Optima preamp. Right now, I feel like I'm in fantasy land ... if I'm dreaming, I hope that I don't wake up ... at least not yet! :p
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-01-26 6:55 PM (#118601 - in reply to #118600)
Subject: Re: My New Ovation [Part 2]

Wow!!

Great deal.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-26 7:01 PM (#118602 - in reply to #118600)

Agreed. Wow. Congrats on a great guitar. You'll have to post some pics of the guitar and you (with a BOG -- Big Ovation Grin).
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-01-26 7:10 PM (#118603 - in reply to #118600)

Nice upgrade! Wish we had dealers like that around here.
colt357
Posted 2007-01-26 7:24 PM (#118604 - in reply to #118600)

Nice when things develope in the right direction. That's awesome. Good for you. Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time...seems it was your turn and you made the best of it! Congrats and enjoy!

Dave
fillhixx
Posted 2007-01-26 10:19 PM (#118605 - in reply to #118600)

Between the fact that you live in Hicksville, and good deals, and the fact that a seemingly good guy like you lives there......I just gotta go check this place out!

Where are you from New Paltz.... I've been there.
(there's a story about me and an Englishman drinking several yanks literally [look up literally] under the table and carrying them to the car.)
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-27 8:54 AM (#118606 - in reply to #118600)

Thank you for the encouraging replies and comments. :) I will admit being extremely lucky for being at the right place and at the right time. I played that guitar for hours last night. My fingers aren't bleeding, but man, they are hurting so bad!!!

fillhixx: when you're in the area, you definitely have to check the place out ... hopefully, it will still be around indefinitely.

New Paltz is geographically located near Poughkeepsie, in between NYC and Albany. It's about a little over 100 miles north from my home, and about 1 1/2 hours drive. I've visited the area once years ago. At that time, I was interested in attending the SUNY college there. That story about you and the Englishman, sounds quite interesting ...

It's funny to note that there is such a place as Hicksville. It's located right in the heart of Long Island, but it doesn't look anything like a hick town. I was shopping at an LL Bean store in NH last December, when the lady cashier giggled at my address after looking up for my info in their database. No offense was taken of course, but I did explained to her that it's really comical to know that such a place exist, but it doesn't look like what we have in our minds [based on the name alone].
Tommy M.
Posted 2007-01-27 9:34 AM (#118607 - in reply to #118600)

Gil,
I don't know if you mentioned what color your new CL is, but I'm curious. How does it compare with your SSB that you traded? Beautiful Guitar you have, enjoy.
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-01-27 11:29 AM (#118608 - in reply to #118600)

Thanks for the reply Tommy,

The deep bowl CL also have a cherry burst color, like the previous SSB CL. I would have opted for a different color ... perhaps black or natural, but for some unknown reason, I seem to be a magnet for cherry burst Ovations. Appearance-wise, other than the bowl size, the SSB was a cutaway while the deep bowl isn't. Soundwise, [as I play them unplugged] both guitars have that distinctly bright Ovation tone with airy-like treble and good midrange sound, but the one with the deep bowl has a louder voice, and more pronounced bass. The SSB CL sounded bright, but much more solid sounding than my previous SSB balladeer. Plugged in, however, it's a different story as it is difficult to tell between the two and both came with the Optima preamp. I use an Ibanez troubadour [TA-35] acoustic amp ... it's the only one that I have at home.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)