The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
singing

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

muzza
Posted 2007-01-31 7:11 AM (#118028)
Subject: singing

I was listening to Stonebobbo's son's MP3 (see 'more family fun') and explored more of Stonebobbo's songs on the site. What a great, distinctive voice. It got me thinkin about my lack of ability/talent in this area...

...again!

Many people can just SING. They just open their damn mouths, and the sound that comes out is magical. It annoys the hell outa me.

My question is - is there anyone out there who couldn't sing - couldn't get a decent sound out of their mouth, but took lessons and LEARNED how to sing?

Is it possible for me to LEARN how to sing, or is it a case of you've either got it, or ya don't?

(BTW, I'm not tone deaf - I've been known to tune a guitar to concert pitch by ear.)

PS. Stonebobbo, it that a 1768 in the photo?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-31 7:54 AM (#118029 - in reply to #118028)
Subject: Re: singing

I used to be a very bad singer. But now I am really good. Nobody has actually told me that, but I know it's true.

I think it is possible to learn to IMPROVE anything - singing, playing, etc. But everyone has a ceiling and for some of us it is dangerously low. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try breaking through it.

Dave
Beal
Posted 2007-01-31 8:42 AM (#118030 - in reply to #118028)

Matt Smith covers this in one of his clinics. Basically it's a long hard road and you only get so you can sing by doing it over and over.
I used to be horrible. Now after several months of working at it I'm just pretty bad.
So, now at the Saturday night of the Mike Dowling clinic when we all play and sing for each other we'll see who is telling the truth, Dave or me.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-31 8:42 AM (#118031 - in reply to #118028)

Wow Dave!! You would make a great audition contestant on American Idol. I mean you would probably get five whole minutes of camera time including telling us all how good you were before you sang, then your rant afterwards as to why the judges just were against you from the moment you walked in the room.

The sarcasm in your first sentence was jumping off the screen at me. I couldn't resist. Sarcasm aside, Dave makes great points in the second paragraph. As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." Yeah, I know. We should all take our advice from Harry Callahan. But I think it fits along with what Dave said.

Some people are just born with it, others work hard to only become mediocre at it while being frustrated the entire time.
an4340
Posted 2007-01-31 8:47 AM (#118032 - in reply to #118028)

When I put in my practice time, I always include songs with lyrics. Over time you just get better at it. I guess I treat my voice as a harmony instrument, basically getting into the range of the chord being played on the guitar, and then speaking at that chord level, and then changing with the chord changes. I'm a long way away from treating the voice as a lead instrument.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-01-31 8:57 AM (#118033 - in reply to #118028)

Individual voice lessons from a qualified voice teacher might help. They will assist in providing you with proper technique, but will not overcome a total lack of tonal quality.
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 9:27 AM (#118034 - in reply to #118028)

Just Do It (and keep doing it).

If you can arrange/afford a couple lessons from a vocal coach, it helps (at least with some of the basic "mechanics" of singing.

In the late 70's/early 80's, there was a school in Manhattan run by PaulSimon's brother, Eddie called the GuitarStudyCenter. Their policy was that if you enrolled in a class, you could arrange to "sit in" on ANY other class (providing there was an open chair). I signed-up for Voice classes, and audited a couple guitar classes over the course of the day (these were Saturday classes). I was already ABLE to sing when I took the classes, but I couldn't take the Advanced Class without taking this one, first (I never did "re-up" when the course was over). The class DID help with a lot of the phrasing, projection, etc. (a lot of "la-la-la, mi-mi-mi, ma-ma-ma, ti-ti-ti, ta-ta-ta, and so on . . .)

While I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty decent range, and there's not a lot of songs that I "can't" sing, whenever we we run through a new song that I've never sung aloud before, the first two or three run-throughs can have a pretty decent amount of "cringe factor" to them.
It's kind of like the "finger memeory" that you inherently develop to learn chord changes. The more you "do it", you start to feel/memorize "where" in your throat you have to "go" to hit a specific (or succession) of note(s). Practicing in an environment that has a bit of natural "reverb" to it helps you to develop, as well.

Just Keep Doing It.

(btw: singing into a microphone is a whole "nuther animal" altogether . . .)
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-31 9:40 AM (#118035 - in reply to #118028)

Originally posted by cwk2:
So, now at the Saturday night of the Mike Dowling clinic when we all play and sing for each other we'll see who is telling the truth, Dave or me.
I'll be wrapping to a boom box. Dave

PS - Bill, do you have a boombox I can borrow? Saves carrying one on the plane. And a Fubu jacket?
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 9:42 AM (#118036 - in reply to #118028)

". . So, now at the Saturday night of the Mike Dowling clinic when we all play and sing for each other we'll see who is telling the truth, Dave or me . ."

Wish I could be a "fly on the wall" for THAT one . . .
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-31 10:14 AM (#118037 - in reply to #118028)

Another helpful hint is to avoid "Bob Dylan Kareoke Night" at the Eagles Hall.

Less volume and more accuracy.

I have been out of practice for about a year. I might have to actually start an excersize program and get some instruction to get back into it.

Even if you only have two good notes - use them.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-31 10:18 AM (#118038 - in reply to #118028)

Wish I could be a "fly on the wall" for THAT one . . .

Oh yeah!

Clifford's right on his points. Working at it can make you a better, more confident singer. I remember reading a Rolling Stone article 20 some odd years ago on Huey Lewis. When he was in college, he was so bad and wanted to sing with anybody that would let him. Trouble was, nobody would let him. But he stayed with it and made a million bucks from his singing.

The other factor involved, tho', is what I call the "it" factor (Bill's talked about this with guitars). And that's a pressence that some people just have. I'm pretty certain that it can be developed, like your voice, but if you've got it, it can make good singing great and if you don't, it can make great singing just mediocre. Clifford's got "it". He draws people in when he plays and sings. In all honesty, I don't have it ("Man's got to know his limitations"). People listen politely but that's it.

There's a whole lot more to good singing than just being blessed with a good voice......
Waskel
Posted 2007-01-31 10:24 AM (#118039 - in reply to #118028)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
There's a whole lot more to good singing than just being blessed with a good voice......
Remembering the words helps, too...
Woz
Posted 2007-01-31 10:24 AM (#118040 - in reply to #118028)

Having watched... Coached 3 different garage bands out of my house. I give this advise.

The cover song you play is "yours". Make it yours.
You can whisper, slurr, talk your way through a lot of music. You do "need" tone... (IE not tone deaf)

A teacher will do good things with breathing and projection. As for range... Not so much.

In my past life I had a First Tenor (high male choir voice)that was going to win me a scholarship
to Purdue University. My Junior year in HS I had my tonsils out and... I became a boring avg 2nd tenor baratone.

Lot's of "big" entertainers "can't" sing... But, deliver one hell of a show. ie Neal Dimond comes to mind.

Get the "me-me-me-me" projected out of the voice box. Take a swig of your favorite beverage and let it rip.

Woz
John B
Posted 2007-01-31 10:35 AM (#118041 - in reply to #118028)

I hate to actually be nice to Cliff, but his saying that he has a "decent" range is quite an understatememt. He's got a gift that many of us (myself included) would love to have a little of. The guy can f___in' SING.

As for myself, I think I can say that I have a "decent" range, but to expand on the discussion of "knowing you limitations", I try to pick songs that fit my voice and range, or to change keys in order not to blow my voice out with 2 hours of a gig left to do.

If I were doing a studio project, I would be much more likely to "push it" more, but when I have to do a 3 or 4 hour gig, I'm constantly thinking about conserving my voice as much as I can.
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 10:44 AM (#118042 - in reply to #118028)

". . Less volume and more accuracy . ."

Sorry Mike, but I kinda' disagree . . .

I'm a firm believer of singing to "the back of the room".

Singing with a degree of volume invokes assertion & confidence, and that in itself gives you the ability to "stretch" and/or make corrections in your pitch. Once you've achieved that, it's easer to "reign yourself in" (and still retain that accuracy) at quieter volumes.

When Rick & I first started playing together, he did a MINIMAL amount of singing. When he did, he shyly sang at low volume focusing at just staying "on pitch". I was constantly whispering "sing louder!" to him out of the side of my mouth while he was singing. It got to the point where I would literally (at gigs,) swipe him in the back of the head to sing louder.

Recently his bro-in-law came to see us, and was utterly AMAZED at how well Rick now sings.

His singing has improved exponentially (though I still publicly tell him he sucks).
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 10:49 AM (#118043 - in reply to #118028)

"I hate to actually be nice to Cliff . . ."

WHY is it that so many sentences around here begin with that?? . . . .
MWoody
Posted 2007-01-31 10:53 AM (#118044 - in reply to #118028)

Attitude!

The key ingredient. I should have finished my thought. When it comes time to practice you should conserve, as John says.

And let the amplification do its job. Good monitoring can save a lot of pain.

But a good smack off-side the head can be good... for the Giver at least.
John B
Posted 2007-01-31 10:55 AM (#118045 - in reply to #118028)

Originally posted by cliff:

I, for one, have taken enough abuse from you to use that "intro" at will ........
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 10:57 AM (#118046 - in reply to #118028)

". . But a good smack off-side the head can be good... for the Giver at least. . ."

If you've never seen Rick & I together, you have NO idea how true that statement can be . . .
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-01-31 11:03 AM (#118047 - in reply to #118028)

I don't hate to be nice to Clifford, I can be nice or mean as the situation calls for. It's just that the situation doesn't call for nice very often.....
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 11:06 AM (#118048 - in reply to #118028)

It IS what it IS . . .
Waskel
Posted 2007-01-31 11:30 AM (#118049 - in reply to #118028)

Originally posted by cliff:

You have to ask???

(Nice quiet political statement, btw! I don't agree, but I was feeling the very same way about 01.20.81, 01.20.95 and 01.20.01.)
cliff
Posted 2007-01-31 11:43 AM (#118050 - in reply to #118028)

(I have absolutely NO idea what you're alluding to, but)
It IS what it IS . . .
Waskel
Posted 2007-01-31 11:56 AM (#118051 - in reply to #118028)

...I believe that depends on what your definition of is is......
fillhixx
Posted 2007-01-31 11:58 AM (#118052 - in reply to #118028)

Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Doug Bennet
Neil Diamond

If these people can get paid to sing, so can you.
Join a choir for a little while to learn pitch and harmony. Learn what your range is, and how far you can push it.

Singing is almost as important as laughing. Do both every day, especially laughing. There is always some kind of sound that you can make with your face that will be entertaining...go find it.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)