The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Opinions Needed

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

SurferJohnny
Posted 2007-02-01 4:09 PM (#117554 - in reply to #117529)
Subject: Re: Opinions Needed

Originally posted by Mitchrx:
Not all of the Elite T's have the flame paint job. In fact, most are solid colored with a textured enamel front and back. That would meet your requirement for having a guitar you don't have to pamper.

Compare Elite T vs. Celeb CDX44.

Both have same pre-amp.
Both have solid spruce tops.
Both about the same price.

At first glance the Celeb is a better deal due to the extra "bling."

But you need to look closer. The new Elite T's have the LX upgrades which are: 1) superior neck attachment with dual action truss rod; 2)scalloped X bracing in the top for better acoustic sound. The neck profiles are different too so you should play both and see which one feels better in your hands. Most folks here who have compared them like the USA neck profiles better. Lastly, the Elite T has the best warranty in the business-good for the life of the guitar (for original owner only).

Before you go ahead an buy the Celeb, try to find a store that has both models so you can compare them head to head.
Post of the Day!!! Thank you!!!

I am not crazy about the textured enamel - true. Bit too 'goth' for my liking. I could learn to love that red one I think though.

Thanks Mitchrx!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wilblee
Posted 2007-02-01 4:28 PM (#117555 - in reply to #117529)

I bought a fairly nice Celebrity and sold it pretty quickly, but I believe that was due to the maple top (looked great - didn't sound great). My son's Celebrity, which has a spruce top, sounds pretty good for a SSB and sounds like the OP20 plugged in. My daughter's Applause is surprisingly playable and sounds surprisingly good for a SSB acoustically (surprisingly for its price point). Plugged in he Applause shows where the money didn't go.

Do either of them play or sound like an LX, much less a Collector's?

Uh, no.

But they play and sound better than any other thing in anything like their price range. Put a deeper body on 'em and you'd have a guitar that sounds good unplugged and is fun to play. Add in the OP Pro preamp and you'd have one satisfying guitar. Say - that'd be the CDX44.

Don't get me wrong - I love lifetime warranties, ebony fingerboards and bridges, higher grades of wood, LX bracing, OPP's, etc., etc. and, since I have the money, that's what I buy, but if I had a cap of $650.00 to spend on a new guitar I could go with the CDX44 and not look back. As a matter of fact - now, because of this thread, I'm gonna check this one out. If it sounds and plays as well as I think it should, tthis is one that I'll suggest to my friends who want a new guitar and have that price cap.
BluesSailor
Posted 2007-02-01 4:31 PM (#117556 - in reply to #117529)

Shop the Pawn shops in your area. That way you can try it out before jumping in with both feet. Bring someone else along who can play so that you can listen opposite the quitar.

Another option is to hit the GC and play/listen to all of them in your price range to see what the differences are TO YOU and make your decision. Check out the used equipment there as well. Play hardball and walk out with the guitar right for you within your budget.

Last, decide on 2 or 3 different models and drop Al a line asking for quotes. You'll get a great deal and never have a worry.

What ever you decide, play as many different models within your budget as possible. Play multiple guitars of the same model because there can be appreciable differences between units, although not so much on Ovations.

Have fun and be patient,no need to rush. Be happy, play.

Blues
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-02-01 4:59 PM (#117557 - in reply to #117529)

The Guitar Center in Carle Place, NY has an Orange Flame Elite T for $699.
Todd G.
Posted 2007-02-01 6:59 PM (#117558 - in reply to #117529)

Welcome to the OFC Johnny!! It looks like you're getting the input you need. But I would like to add my two cents.

I was doing some very similar shopping about fifteen or sixteen years ago. Side by side at my local music store were a Korean Celebrity Deluxe and a USA 1868 Elite both in black and brand new. The Celeb was about $600, the Elite was around $1100. I knew the guys there really well and they knocked the Elite down a little in price. I think they wanted me to buy the Elite instead of the Celeb. I played both. The Celeb played OK and looked OK, but the Elite sounded and played better (and was a classier looking guitar). Like Mark said, some of the Celebs just sound a little dead.

I bought the Celeb and had it for only about a year. Tuition needed paid so I had to sell it. Looking back, I wish I would have saved for a while longer to buy an Elite.

The people here generally know what they're talking about when it comes to what will give you the most bang for your buck. It sounds like that's what you're after at this point.

Buy what sounds good to you and fits in your budget. It sounds like you and your family will enjoy it very much. Best of luck.
Omaha
Posted 2007-02-01 7:12 PM (#117559 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by SurferJohnny:
However - it is pretty hard justifying that amount to a non-guitar playing wife.
Even if guitars only cost $2, that's money that could be better spent buying a Happy Meal for the kids, or paying down the principal on the mortgage.

Justify has nothing to do with it.
Weaser P
Posted 2007-02-01 7:16 PM (#117560 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by Todd G.:
The people here generally know what they're talking about when it comes to what will give you the most bang for your buck.
Generally? Ouch. I didn't knock the groups' credibility down at all, did I?
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-02-01 7:23 PM (#117561 - in reply to #117529)

Weaser P
Posted 2007-02-01 7:26 PM (#117562 - in reply to #117529)

(sigh)
Todd G.
Posted 2007-02-01 7:38 PM (#117563 - in reply to #117529)

Ouch. Be nice Jeff.

Can you forgive me Weaser? (walks on eggshells)
Weaser P
Posted 2007-02-01 9:33 PM (#117564 - in reply to #117529)

No forgiveness necessary, Todd. Just funnin' 'round. ;)
Todd G.
Posted 2007-02-01 9:46 PM (#117565 - in reply to #117529)

Sorry, you probably couldn't see the grin on my face as I tip-toed away.

This board has been alot of fun. I'm glad Johnny has joined us here.
Waskel
Posted 2007-02-01 9:47 PM (#117566 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by Weaser P:
I didn't knock the groups' credibility down at all, did I?
It's a weighted average, Weaz. We needed a weight. You're it.
There's no shame in it.
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-02-01 9:56 PM (#117567 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by MWoody:
Check out Tim Chapman's Redwood.

Then negotiate a plan.
Just don't buy any hats from him.

BTW - The OFC is great at spending your money on guitars but be careful using our Relationship Advice!
FlySig
Posted 2007-02-01 10:17 PM (#117568 - in reply to #117529)

Surfer, we bought my daughter a red flame Elite T a couple of years ago, and it is an amazing guitar for the money. You will never be disappointed by it.

Definitely try Alpep to see what kind of deals he has going. Your local Guitar Center might be willing to go low on one that's been in stock too long. That one mentioned above for $699 sounds like a great buy.
philmax
Posted 2007-02-02 1:34 AM (#117569 - in reply to #117529)

Shopping for the "ONE" guitar is a lot like choosing the spouse that you intend to spend your life with. When you find the "ONE" you'll know, no one else can decide that for you.

Don't jump into something cheaper, because you can. Be selective, just how you were when you chose your wife. When she played hard to get you rose to the challenge, you just had to have her. All that "freedom" you were giving up, but she's worth it all, and you thank GOD for her everyday.

You have done good that you have narrowed you choice down to an Ovation, don't make the wrong choice now that you are so close.

My wife is just about the most valuable thing in my life, and there is not a better guitar value out there, than an Ovation.

Now git out there and try some guitars and when you find the right one, YOU'LL KNOW!!!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-02 1:42 AM (#117570 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
You can always buys used US. You'd find something in your price range may even find an EliteT
There was an Elite T, on E-baaa, with Flames and a case $500 BIN.
(the OFC is probably sick of me mentioning it. But I'm still kicking myself)
Shot in the Dark
Posted 2007-02-02 5:57 AM (#117571 - in reply to #117529)

A balladeer might be more the style you're looking for, if you're not into the flame thing. My LX was $800 with nice case about 5 months ago.

But I'm not sure a U.S. made Ovation is what you're looking for if you're planning on dragging it about as you suggest. Maybe a Celebrity would do the trick temporarily and then be your camping guitar after you save up for a nicer Ovation.

Not to steer you away from Ovations, but I sure have read a LOT of good things about the Big Baby Taylor (even here) and I may get one to serve the purpose you're talking about. They are $400 new.

My balladeer is too nice to take camping IMHO.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-02-02 7:01 AM (#117572 - in reply to #117529)

Although I'm biased toward the US models, the Celeb you're looking at may be just fine for you.

Only 2 issues I can see: 1)The neck on the Celeb is way inferior to a US neck. 2) If you have any problems with the Celeb in the future you're stuck,whereas if you have problems with a USA model the folks at the factory will take real good care of you.

I'd see what Al has in your price range. Give him a call.

John <>{
Todd G.
Posted 2007-02-02 7:17 AM (#117573 - in reply to #117529)

Well said guys.

See--I told you these guys know what they're talking about. Feel better Weez? :)
Weaser P
Posted 2007-02-02 8:11 AM (#117574 - in reply to #117529)

I do. ;)
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-02-02 8:13 PM (#117575 - in reply to #117529)

Surferjohnny, You have to decide if you want to make an investment into a guitar or get something that you enjoy playing and get gratification out of.All of us want both but
if you want a sure bet buy a Martin and hold onto it for 50 years and you will get both.

My recommendation::::::::

INVESTMENT==== GET A ..... C.D. at 8% interest

OR

A GUITAR ======== BUY WHAT FEELS GOOD & SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU.AS YOU SAY , SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN TAKE ALONG WITH YOU ANYWHERE ANYTIME AND IF IT GETS A CHIP OR A SCRATCH ON IT YOU CAN JUST SAY FUC#%& A MAN....
MAKE SURE YOU BUY SOMETHING THAT YOU LIKE NOT SOMETHING SOMEONE ELSE THINKS YOU SHOULD LIKE. GWB
bvince
Posted 2007-02-02 9:06 PM (#117576 - in reply to #117529)

Check out Tim Chapman's Redwood

I strongly agreee ... That would be a great INVESTMENT (key word for the wife), and after dealing with the wife at one time over my 11th, I've learned that once its here ... she'll get over it. I have however whittled the collection down a bit to keep peace on the home front.
worshipleader
Posted 2007-02-03 2:38 PM (#117577 - in reply to #117529)

Elite T. Awesome axe for the price ... aww forget the price - awesome axe for any price.
Woz
Posted 2007-02-03 3:43 PM (#117578 - in reply to #117529)

My 2 cents...

"Re-Think" the 2nd hand guitar. If you want keep $150.00 in the hole for a trip to the mother ship for a "final" adjustment...

The deals on ebay or this board are tooooo good to pass up.

That beach guitar, dogs and kids... Has me thinking a used Legend... Get a cut away + on board tuner...
Well under your budget.

The USA quality on the "used" guitar will kick ass on the Celeb. and cost you... $500 to $600.

Woz
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)