The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Opinions Needed

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

SurferJohnny
Posted 2007-02-01 10:30 AM (#117529)
Subject: Opinions Needed

Hello to all at the OFC!

I have been doing alot of research lately on a modertately priced acoustic guitar. I have been in an out of music stores for the last few weeks. I just got my tax return back, and am now ready to pull the trigger so to speak.

I have tested just about every brand of acoustic guitar. There were some I liked more than others. However, I really gravitated toward the Ovation, based on looks, sound, and innovation/modern/tech factor.

The guitar I tested was a CC44. It seemed to play just fine. It was for the most part in tune. I liked it. I wanted to buy it right there and then, but I decided to wait and do some more research. Enter the OFC.

When I started lurking around here, I noticed what seemed to me a bias against the celebrity line. I did lots of searches, and didn't find too many positive comments about the celebrities.

Here are my questions -

- The CDX44 was at the top of the list until I started lurking here. Is it really worth it to spend the extra $400 to get a USA made Ovation? Is the quality gap that big?

- What would be the logical choice for an Ovation in the $800 range? S778? Elite T? These are about all I could afford. No more.

I am nothing more than an intermediate hobbyist, and I really don't want to spend more than $400-500. But I understand the investment made on a more quality instument, so I am a bit conflicted right now. Also, I am not really interested in buying a used guitar. Too many questions/concerns with buying used.

Please help guide the OFC noob through this minefield. . .

Thanks for the help!

J
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Omaha
Posted 2007-02-01 10:33 AM (#117530 - in reply to #117529)
Subject: Re: Opinions Needed

The only advice I have to offer is that I have never regretted spending more on an instrument, but I have often regretted spending less. I've heard this expressed as "buy the best and you only cry once".

Spend a little more than you planned, and you will be happy forever!
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-02-01 10:39 AM (#117531 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by Omaha:
The only advice I have to offer is that I have never regretted spending more on an instrument, but I have often regretted spending less. I've heard this expressed as "buy the best and you only cry once".

Spend a little more than you planned, and you will be happy forever!
I don't think I could have said it better.
cliff
Posted 2007-02-01 10:43 AM (#117532 - in reply to #117529)

EliteT.
SurferJohnny
Posted 2007-02-01 10:49 AM (#117533 - in reply to #117529)

I agree with you in principle. . .However - it is pretty hard justifying that amount to a non-guitar playing wife.

So if she finds out I spent the higher amount on a guitar - I may cry, then cry again (lame Seinfeld reference).

What is the deal with that crazy paint job on the Elite T? Why?? Give that guitar some normal paint and it is a winner!

Looks like the S778 may be sneaking in to our home. . .
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-02-01 10:52 AM (#117534 - in reply to #117529)

You can always buys used US. You'd find something in your price range may even find an EliteT
cliff
Posted 2007-02-01 11:03 AM (#117535 - in reply to #117529)

". . it is pretty hard justifying that amount to a non-guitar playing wife . ."

Buy your wife a REALLY cheap bottle of perfume for Valentine's Day.

Have her explain to you "wot's th'difference??".

Turn that analogy around to her regarding guitars.
philmax
Posted 2007-02-01 11:03 AM (#117536 - in reply to #117529)

well done to be tight fisted, if you have Guitar Center or Sam Ash, and your are a great negotiator and can play hardball you should be able to get a great deal on a new USA "O" which should come with an Ovation hardshell case, Lifetime limited warranty, for $800 I'd shoot for an LX model. Two weeks ago our local GC had a cedar top Balladeer(nonLX)that sounded AWESOME, a steal for $649. Probably gone by now. You don't know till you try.
MWoody
Posted 2007-02-01 11:30 AM (#117537 - in reply to #117529)

You can find a pre-owned Elite T for between $450-$550. Best bang for the buck around!!

RE:
"Buy your wife a REALLY cheap bottle of perfume for Valentine's Day.
Have her explain to you "wot's th'difference??".
Turn that analogy around to her regarding guitars."

NO.
Tell her the story about a guy you know that did this and then give her the good stuff. Because she deserves the best.

BTW - The OFC is great at spending your money on guitars but be careful using our Relationship Advice!
MWoody
Posted 2007-02-01 11:31 AM (#117538 - in reply to #117529)

Check out Tim Chapman's Redwood.

Then negotiate a plan.
Waskel
Posted 2007-02-01 11:41 AM (#117539 - in reply to #117529)

$800 or less should get you a nice US Ovation, if you don't mind 'nearly' new. The resell market looks pretty soft right now. Some great guitars have been selling for very affordable prices.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-02-01 12:21 PM (#117540 - in reply to #117529)

I was going to say what MWoody said, especially about relationship advice. $800 will get you into a nice used USA Ovation and a few new ones. There are thousands of Celebrities out there and I suspect you will be disappointed if you buy a new one. The value will drop and you will see a new or slightly used USA Ovation for what you paid for your Celebrity.
Do some more lurking. Chapman's Redwood is one of the most beautiful playing and sounding Ovations out there. You would never regret it. Seems like Northcountry was trying to sell a Custom Legend awhile ago and that might be in your ball park.
lanaki
Posted 2007-02-01 12:42 PM (#117541 - in reply to #117529)

oh and by the way, SurferJohnny, WELCOME!!!

whatcha doin' surfin' in wisconsin of all places?
Jason_S
Posted 2007-02-01 12:56 PM (#117542 - in reply to #117529)

if you can afford it jump with both feet on a textured top adamas....next choice would be a 1114...good luck with your search...jason
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-02-01 2:02 PM (#117543 - in reply to #117529)

J:

Listen to the man who says the most with the fewest words - Cliff. Elite T is the way to go.

Send an email to alpep@lostartvintage.com. Al will give you as good a deal as anyone.
SurferJohnny
Posted 2007-02-01 2:54 PM (#117544 - in reply to #117529)

OK, I need a sanity check. . .

I wouldn't by that redwood Ovation because it is way TOO nice. I would be afraid to play that thing anywhere outside my house.

I am looking for something that I don't want to have to worry about getting beat up. Picnics, beaches, camping, cookouts, as well as inside my house. I have young kids, dogs. . .Stuff happens. I don't want to have to 'secure' my guitar. I want to be able to grab it, play it, put it back. Anytime/anywhere.

Right now, I just don't feel I need an upper end acoustic. Not just yet anyway. I don't want to use the term 'starter guitar', but that is the closest term that comes to mind when I envision the guitar I need right now. I feel that this guitar may get banged around, since me and my family are very active outdoor types.

Also, I am not comfortable buying a used guitar (or used anything)sight unseen, from an anonymous person. I need to inspect, test, tweak, etc. So unfortunately, that eliminates pretty much all used guitars.

So why would a guitar like a CDX44 or a CS347 be a bad choice? They appear to be almost identical to their US-made cousins, and quite a bit less expensive. Seems like solid wood top from what I can gather. Same pre-amp.

So what is the big difference?

I just dont think I can afford the S778, and I am not crazy about the Elite T and that crazy paint scheme.

Johnny is getting stressed!!!
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-02-01 3:01 PM (#117545 - in reply to #117529)

sounds like you've made-up your mind, enjoy the Celeb.
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-02-01 3:02 PM (#117546 - in reply to #117529)

There's nothing wrong with the CDX44. I saw/strummed one at NAMM and thought they were very nicely done. It does have a solid top. From what I can tell, the main difference between it and the US models is the neck and the way in which it was built. The CS347 has a laminated top so all things being equal, the CDX44 should sound better (YMMV). Eliminate the stress ... if you like the CDX44, go buy it and be happy.
SurferJohnny
Posted 2007-02-01 3:10 PM (#117547 - in reply to #117529)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
sounds like you've made-up your mind, enjoy the Celeb.
No - haven't made mind up yet. Just asking tough questions. I don't want to spend my $$$ without being satisfied I made the right choice. Not very often I get the green light to get something like this for myself.

And I do appreciate all your input. Thanks!
cliff
Posted 2007-02-01 3:22 PM (#117548 - in reply to #117529)

y'buy the USA-built and down the road if something perchance goes "wrong" with it, you're (in most instances) "covered".

y'buy the Korean-built and something goes "wrong", yer StuckAss . . .
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-02-01 3:46 PM (#117549 - in reply to #117529)

GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) causes stress. There's nothing wrong with a starter guitar. You'd probably be happier with the sound of a solid top guitar, but I've had a mid bowl CS247 that I thought sounded better than my 99 Collector's, both with laminated tops. My daughter has a CS247 with a gorgeous Quilted Nutmeg top that is beautiful to look at, but sounds a little dead. For a starter, just make sure it is easy to play. A new guitar is no more likely to be easy to play and sound good than a used one. It's like cars. You buy the depreciation when you buy new, but you have to take some chances buying used.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-02-01 3:46 PM (#117550 - in reply to #117529)

Johnny - there are always guitars like this one on ebay:

Legend

They're broken in, they probably sound great and you can't beat the price. And you won't be afraid to take it out.
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-02-01 3:50 PM (#117551 - in reply to #117529)

Not all of the Elite T's have the flame paint job. In fact, most are solid colored with a textured enamel front and back. That would meet your requirement for having a guitar you don't have to pamper.

Compare Elite T vs. Celeb CDX44.

Both have same pre-amp.
Both have solid spruce tops.
Both about the same price.

At first glance the Celeb is a better deal due to the extra "bling."

But you need to look closer. The new Elite T's have the LX upgrades which are: 1) superior neck attachment with dual action truss rod; 2)scalloped X bracing in the top for better acoustic sound. The neck profiles are different too so you should play both and see which one feels better in your hands. Most folks here who have compared them like the USA neck profiles better. Lastly, the Elite T has the best warranty in the business-good for the life of the guitar (for original owner only).

Before you go ahead an buy the Celeb, try to find a store that has both models so you can compare them head to head.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-02-01 3:51 PM (#117552 - in reply to #117529)

You might look into the new Ultra as well...
cliff
Posted 2007-02-01 3:54 PM (#117553 - in reply to #117529)

Mitch;
I'm suspecting that it's the textured paint-job that he dodesn't "like" . . .
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)