The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
why are O's not as costly as ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-02 1:55 PM (#117315 - in reply to #117290)
Subject: Re: why are O's not as costly as ?

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
Just something that's occured to me before: I'll bet the cost of a fiberglass bowl is a lot less than the cost of bending wood sides, gluing-up a back, applying braces, binding and purfling to a back and sides.
That's for sure true. Try pricing out a set of food storage containers made out of Rosewood.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve
Posted 2007-02-02 1:58 PM (#117316 - in reply to #117290)

Yak,
Perspective perhaps. Subjective or objective perhaps. But for acoustic value and investment in a quality instrument I got more than what I paid for and it will only increase in real value because the acoustics improve with the age of the wood top. Ovation Instruments offer the best of both worlds. And an Adamas guitar is absolutely unique for it's construction and acoustic signature. But, I'm an unabashed Ovation snob, been that way a long time... :)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-02-02 3:04 PM (#117317 - in reply to #117290)

Thanks again, Dave, for the ride in your station wagon. I thought it was nice, although I would have preferred a ride in your wife's car. I tried to buy my wife a more expensive car, not because she needed it, but so I could use it as leverage. She likes Hondas. I just don't understand some people. Why would you buy something useful, reliable and carefree when you could have something that costs a lot more and doesn't do the job any better?
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-02-02 3:18 PM (#117318 - in reply to #117290)

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
Just something that's occured to me before: I'll bet the cost of a fiberglass bowl is a lot less than the cost of bending wood sides, gluing-up a back, applying braces, binding and purfling to a back and sides.
Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anyone want to venture a guess on what it cost for the development of the contour bowl, the cost for reformulation of Lyrachord GS, and the injection tooling for the bowl? I'd venture to say it is huge. The underlying cost of shooting the bowls may be low, but you've got to look at the whole thing when calculating the cost to build the guitar. I'll bet the automated systems at either Taylor or Martin only costs a few bucks to do everything necessary to build the backs of a square guitar.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-02-02 5:47 PM (#117319 - in reply to #117290)

Bobbo's right in that when you buy a product, you're usually also paying for the R&D and manufacturing costs of that product. Somebody earlier mentioned that a lot of medicine,to make, doesn't cost much. But you're paying for all the costs behind that medicine as well....
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-02-02 6:20 PM (#117320 - in reply to #117290)

. . . . and massive profit margins and lots and lots of schmoozing doctors with dinners and "educational conferences" [read golf weekends} and sales kittens making 70 grand right outta college...
Weaser P
Posted 2007-02-02 8:13 PM (#117321 - in reply to #117290)

The sales kittens are worth every penny though...
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-02-03 1:18 AM (#117322 - in reply to #117290)

Ovation has sales Kitties ... check them out here: Scroll down to Kittie .
First Alternate
Posted 2007-02-05 4:27 AM (#117323 - in reply to #117290)

I see guitars as tools, not as works of art. I have a very nice Taylor 714 I almost never play on gigs. It sounds too boxy through the PA and is difficult to control. My Ovations do exactly what I want. They play well, sound good unplugged, and are an incredible value. If I ever get rid of an acoustic, It'll be the 714.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)