The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Damaged Guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-03 6:05 AM (#117227)
Subject: Damaged Guitar

Grrrrr. I live outside of Ottawa, Canada and need some advice. I loaded up my truck last weekend including my 12 string Celebrity Deluxe. I have an extended cab so obviously the guitar was inside the truck where it was warm. After I arrived at my destination, I went in socialized for about 2 hours before bringing in the guitar. The temperature was about 0 C or 32 F for my American friends. Anyway, I immed opened the case, pulled out the guitar and during the first strum, a crack appeared on the front. It runs from the bottom to just below the bridge and then to the right approx half way to the edge.

This guitar has been around for years, played extensively and is in mint condition (I baby it). I was rather upset when this happened. I am assuming it might have happened from the change in temperature, string tension and vibration.

When I look inside from the back, I do not see damage to the wood. I am assuming that the crack is simply in the finish. There does not seem to be a change in sound, nor any vibration.

I am seeking advice on what I should do. I am not sure if this can be repaired easily or what.

Assistance is appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2007-02-03 6:23 AM (#117228 - in reply to #117227)
Subject: Re: Damaged Guitar

Welcome Jumper...
Sorry that your first post had to be a tale of woe.
Personally, I don't know how to repair a finish crack but I'm sure someone here has done it before.
Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-03 6:36 AM (#117229 - in reply to #117227)

Thanks Slip. Ya, I was pretty upset. I know that some people think that it's "just a Celeb Deluxe", but it's my first Ovation and I love it. The day I bought it, I could not put it down. There is not a day goes by that I do not play at least one song on it.
noah
Posted 2007-02-03 6:39 AM (#117230 - in reply to #117227)

Hi jumper,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...
and I am sorry that Brad has not been paying attention in class. We have had numerous threads on finish cracks.
Tony is one of our master crack repair men.

An abrupt temperature swing like that can cause the finish to crack. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Finish cracks are not detrimental to the sound.

Finish cracks can be filled with CYA (cyanoacrylate glue) and leveled with a single-edge razor blade. The area is then buffed and polished. The crack is usually visible, but at least the crack is sealed.

Some people just leave the cracks alone.

Refinishing the top is the ultimate repair.
Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-03 6:49 AM (#117231 - in reply to #117227)

Well, you made me feel a little better Noah. I never thought of searching for a thread on the site for finish cracks so I as well was not paying attention in class?

The crack is very visible due to the thickness of the finish. I guess I will let my guitars warm up a little in future before I try to impress the ladies. (She did not even dump me for being bummed over a guitar.....lol....guess she has not caught on how much I like the guitar......wink)

Anyway, I will not stress and hopefully more advice is forthcoming.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-02-03 7:15 AM (#117232 - in reply to #117227)

I will pay more attention in class

So teach... how may times do I have to write this???

Jumper...It's very easy to tell from your post how much you like this guitar. I hope you find a way to make it right.
noah
Posted 2007-02-03 7:23 AM (#117233 - in reply to #117227)

Brad's got close to 4000 posts. He probably skips those discussions because he has not had a finish crack.

There is a neat trick with the razor blade that Fred and I were talking about, but I do not remember where I initially read about it...

You wrap one layer of scotch tape over the razor blade leaving less than 1/4 inch of blade exposed in the middle. The blade is held perpendicular to the surface and drawn parallel over the filled crack. The single layer of tape gives the blade a surface to ride upon over the finish as the small exposed blade area planes down the filler.

I have used this razor blade method on furniture/cabinet repairs but not yet on a guitar.

The article I originally read had pictures and if you decide to do it, let's find you the article. You can imagine the damage that the corners of the razor blade can do if you unintentionally leave them exposed.

What are you guys doing up in the middle of my night?
Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-03 7:30 AM (#117234 - in reply to #117227)

Egads!!!! Take a razor blade to Olivia? I couldn't do it!!!!!

I am up cause I have tickets to the Ottawa/Toronto hockey game tonight and cannot wait to watch my leafs kick some @$$

That's nothing to how I will be up all night tonight thinking about a sharp instrument near my axe!!!!!!!

HE DID NOT MEAN IT OLIVIA!!!!!
noah
Posted 2007-02-03 7:35 AM (#117235 - in reply to #117227)

But the sharp is only touching the filler the single layer of tape glides smoothly over the finish :D
Slipkid
Posted 2007-02-03 8:06 AM (#117236 - in reply to #117227)

Brad's got close to 4000 posts. He probably skips those discussions because he has not had a finish crack.
Darn right. And I don't want to have to learn how to repair them.
In fact, now I'm afraid I might have jinxed myself by posting here.

Jumper.. Oliva??? as in Newton-John???

I'm up early to go to work.
Well, accually I am at work right now.
Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-03 8:19 AM (#117237 - in reply to #117227)

Brad,

The story of why I named my guitar is kinda funny. I dated this nutbar last year who named her things. For example, her Corvette was named Evette...... She was hot, but friggin strange. Jealous and suspicious of every woman around me. I needed a little space and she did not like that idea, so borderline stalked me. Hacked into my e-mail the whole 9 yards. I had to call the cops and everything. Anyway, I had a friend over one evening for a BBQ and a few pints. I was telling her about the nutbar and she suggested that if she contacts me again, tell her there is someone else. She looked at my Ovation and said.....Evette The Vette, Meet Olivia The Ovation.

Kinda corny, but it was funny at the time and everytime she comes over, she asks if she can watch me "finger my girlfriend" which is code for "play me a tune".

There ya have it. If I see a movie about it, I will expect royalties.......lol
Slipkid
Posted 2007-02-03 8:29 AM (#117238 - in reply to #117227)

She was hot, but friggin strange.
Yep... life is full of tough choices.
noah
Posted 2007-02-03 9:22 AM (#117239 - in reply to #117227)

never named any of the guitars, but we have a mannequin named Charline...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-03 2:37 PM (#117240 - in reply to #117227)

"I know that some people think that it's "just a Celeb Deluxe", but it's my first Ovation and I love it."--Jumper64

Some people have no understanding of the higher things of Life!
I have a Celebrity. Also a Korean Balladeer, and a China Strat.
At an earlier phase in my life, I used to remove brand stickers from stuff...
Because once it's mine, IT'S MINE!!

Good Luck with Olivia's cosmetic surgery. But remember, it is only cosmetic damage. I'd go with the glue, the razor blade, and some sincere buffing.
Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-04 9:58 AM (#117241 - in reply to #117227)

"I'd go with the glue, the razor blade, and some sincere buffing." - Old Man Arthur.

Any particular type of glue?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-04 12:32 PM (#117242 - in reply to #117227)

Noah sez "Finish cracks can be filled with CYA (cyanoacrylate glue) and leveled with a single-edge razor blade. The area is then buffed and polished. The crack is usually visible, but at least the crack is sealed."

Which sounds good to me. But I have no idea what that would be in Layman's Language. (Y'know, which brand)
Personally, I'm a shade-tree mechanic. I'd try some clear lacquer. I don't know what color your guitar is... I would just want to seal the crack, so more dust and crap and moisture don't get in there. You would still want to use it sparingly. Which is why I quoted that razor-blade idea. I might put it on, then wipe it off. But that might leave a flaw once it dried. Depending on whether the glue expands or contracts upon drying. Hence the razor-blade.
Some kind of clear acrylic, since you would want it to be flexible.

C'mon O'cultist, give us some help here!
colt357
Posted 2007-02-04 4:05 PM (#117243 - in reply to #117227)

I do believe they are talking about what is commonly refered to as "Super Glue". But, I've been wrong before, so you better wait for conformation on that.

Good luck with the repair. From past experience, fix it now before you end up with a real problem.

Dave
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-02-04 6:53 PM (#117244 - in reply to #117227)

I tried looking up CYA the last time we talked about finish cracks, but came up with "cover your ----" It's superglue. I'm going to try it one of these days. StewMac has some kits with thin glue that might be better for getting into the crack.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-02-04 8:25 PM (#117245 - in reply to #117227)

Hobby stores carry CYA. I'm using it to build a model airplane.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-04 8:38 PM (#117246 - in reply to #117227)

Courtesy of Wikipediea:
Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for substances such as methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, which is typically sold under trademarks like Superglue and Krazy Glue, and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate or n-butyl-cyanoacrylate, which are used in medical glues such as Dermabond and Traumaseal. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known as "instant adhesives".

It also sez that it becomes brittle at temperatures below 40 degrees, so you still don't wanna leave it in a cold truck. There may be other options...
Cosmic O
Posted 2007-02-04 11:01 PM (#117247 - in reply to #117227)

OK, yer all makin me nervous..... perhaps I should take it to a professional....but this is small town Canada....crap...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-05 9:25 AM (#117248 - in reply to #117227)

Aw... Go for it! Or, fill it with a good paste wax, sparingly.
brainslag
Posted 2007-02-05 11:03 AM (#117249 - in reply to #117227)

CYA is Crazy..or Super Glue..whatever. Be careful though, it comes in different thicknesses. Thin, which just migh spill out and make a big mess, medium, and thick. Find out what thickness is best for the size crack you're filling. Thick migh leave a big blob. I'm not saying use the medium, because I have never done this, just saying find out what to use first.
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-02-05 1:23 PM (#117250 - in reply to #117227)

Cosmic O:
The finish cracks on my Ovations have no discernable space for any type of glue to seep into. If Olivia's cracks are so thin that glue won't seep into them, LEAVE THEM ALONE. CYA is not all that easy to use for this kind of repair. The glue can really mess up the surrounding areas of the top and you'll just take a bad situation and make it worse. This is one of those situations where if you don't have the expertise, don't do it.

If you like the guitar don't do anything that will make the cosmetic flaws even more noticeable.

Even the Ovation factory cannot totally fix finish cracks to the point that they cannot been seen.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)