The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Factory Warranty claim

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

guitar1580
Posted 2007-02-04 3:35 AM (#117021)
Subject: Factory Warranty claim

Hi all, New member here, great site, learning lots. I love my 1978 Legend custom - will get some pics on here when i figure out how. I play it alot, even though i have 2 awesome Martins. My O has its own vibe.
My friend has a similar Ovation from that same time period, which he bought new at a mall music store. The top later developed the familiar Ovation cracks, not sure why, although the guitar still plays well. I told him to check with Ovation to see if it's covered under the lifetime warranty. He said he doesnt have the sales receipt, and the store is out of business. Does anyone know if he is covered under the warranty, and what steps to take to get the top replaced? I'd like to see him bring it back to life.....a damaged Ovation is a terrible thing to waste. Thx, JP
Top of the page Bottom of the page
muzza
Posted 2007-02-04 4:00 AM (#117022 - in reply to #117021)
Subject: Re: Factory Warranty claim

Can't help with the warranty, but here's a howto that another member posted a while back. I kept it on my desktop and still haven't posted any pictures yet.

Q: How do I upload pictures to my Photo Gallery?

A:
1. Click on "Member Access" on the left side of your screen (if you don't see "member access", you need to click on the "Ovation Fan Club" link at the bottom of your screen, or type http://www.ovationfanclub.com in your browser).
2. Click on "Photo Gallery".
3. Click on "Gallery Utility".
4. Click on "Upload Photo".
5. Fill in the fields.
6. Pick the photo you want to upload (When you click "browse" you are looking at the files on YOUR computer).
7. Click "Upload".
NOTE: File size is limited to 100k. Larger images will be rejected. Maximum pixel width is 500. Images wider than 500 pixels and smaller than 100k in size will be resized.

Q: How do I post pictures in a thread?

A: The image needs to be hosted somewhere on the internet. Your OFC photo gallery qualifies.
1. Right click on the image you wish to post, choose 'copy image location'.
2. In the position in your post where you wish to place the image, type . (If using 'Full Reply Form" you can position the cursor and click on the "Image" button, then paste the image location in the box. This will insert the )

To get the location of an image in your gallery,
1. Go to your gallery.
2. Click on the thumbnail of the picture you want to post.
3. Right-click on the large version, choose "Copy Image Location".
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-02-04 1:01 PM (#117023 - in reply to #117021)

If your friend sent the Warranty Registration card back to Ovation, they should have a record of it and s/he ought to be covered (though I don't know if finish cracks are warrantee items or not). Give Ovation customer service a call.
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-02-04 2:24 PM (#117024 - in reply to #117021)

What SB wrote above. It doesn't matter whether the store went out of business, and/or the original sales receipt is lost. As long as your friend had registered the guitar after purchasing it, it will be covered by the lifetime factory warranty.

I doubt that finish cracks are covered by the warranty. It's the reason why I end up selling my old balladeer.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-04 2:28 PM (#117025 - in reply to #117021)

Originally posted by ignimbyte:
I doubt that finish cracks are covered by the warranty. It's the reason why I end up selling my old balladeer.
Mmmm!? I'm not sure if I would sell my guitar because of finish cracks. Must've looked real yucky, or your a perfectionist, or both.
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-02-04 2:43 PM (#117026 - in reply to #117021)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
[Mmmm!? I'm not sure if I would sell my guitar because of finish cracks. Must've looked real yucky, or your a perfectionist, or both.
I owned guitars made in either China, Korea, the Philippines and Indonesia for many years before I purchased my balladeer, which also happened to be my first U.S. made instrument. Back then, I didn't know any better about taking care of my guitars that I placed them in environments with temperatures and humid levels [or lack thereof] that could create substantial damage to the instrument. Miraculously, other than its share of dings, scratches and some corrosion on the hardware, the guitars had no other issues.

With regards to my balladeer, on the other hand, I pampered that instrument -- I mean really pampered it. I played the heck out of that guitar when I'm either practicing or gigging before a live audience. But when it's not being played, it's wiped clean with a soft cloth and kept in the hard case. When necessary, it's also accompanied with a dampit or planet waves humidifier. For three years, the guitar had no scratches, no cracks, no fret wear ... nothing, until the crack developed. Call me crazy, but my heart broke when I saw that crack ... and the more I stared at it, the more depressed I felt.

I did what I had to do, and I think I made the right choice...
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-02-04 3:11 PM (#117027 - in reply to #117021)

The warranty covers factory defects. I don't believe they consider cracks to be factory defects. Most cracks you see in Ovations are finish cracks. I think it's due to the way-thick finish they used to apply to the top.
It'll be interesting to see how the newer guitars (ie: LX) fare. The finish is so thin some folks complain about seeing the contour of the growth rings.
If my guitar had cracks in the top...finish or otherwise...I wouldn't be able to just live with it. I feel like I'm always struggling to get respect for my Ovations from the other guitarists around me. I need my guitars to look great.

John <>{
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-02-04 3:38 PM (#117028 - in reply to #117021)

Cc
Posted 2007-02-04 4:11 PM (#117029 - in reply to #117021)

I don't know, Guys..
Some of the best guitars ever made ended up with finish cracks over time. Gibson 335s, Guilds, Gretsches,.. To me a finish crack is the sign of a well made, well played instrument. I own a bunch of older hollow-bodies and I would be a little concerned if they DIDN'T show some finish cracks. It would lead me to believe that it had been re-finished. Fine wood expands and contracts constantly. Most early finish products do not. Cracking is a fact of life on just about anything that wasn't hermetically sealed from the factory. I guess it's just my opinion, but look at the huge market for "distressed" or "relic" guitars.
Now, I'm not advocating beating your guitar up on purpose. But, just like all of us, a few lines here or there not only show age, but also maturity and history.
Cc
(With some lines showing on my finish too!)
colt357
Posted 2007-02-04 4:17 PM (#117030 - in reply to #117021)

My 1112 returned home from "The Spa" last December after top replacement and I can testify to the finish being thin enough to see/feel the growth rings. I was somewhat surprised by this compared to the old finish. I wonder if they are useing a new formula for the finish they are putting on? A thinner finish should vibrate a little better, shouldn't it?

Dave
guitar1580
Posted 2007-02-04 4:31 PM (#117031 - in reply to #117021)

Thanks for all of the info. and suggestions. His top is actually cracked, not just the finish. I'm going to have him call Ovation and check on it. I'm not sure if he registered his serial # by sending in the warranty card. I would think so. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Cc
Posted 2007-02-05 2:17 AM (#117032 - in reply to #117021)

Ohh...
well....
Nevernmind...
worshipleader
Posted 2007-02-05 8:59 AM (#117033 - in reply to #117021)

Originally posted by colt357:
My 1112 returned home from "The Spa" last December after top replacement and I can testify to the finish being thin enough to see/feel the growth rings. I was somewhat surprised by this compared to the old finish. I wonder if they are useing a new formula for the finish they are putting on? A thinner finish should vibrate a little better, shouldn't it?

Dave
Yup - that's one of the reasons hat the 1778T's sound so amazing!
Jason_S
Posted 2007-02-05 10:50 PM (#117034 - in reply to #117021)

finish cracks or any cracks dont realy bother me. my folklore has had its share of finish and top cracks and it sounds great....if you can live with the cracks so be it...jason
guitar1580
Posted 2007-02-05 11:07 PM (#117035 - in reply to #117021)

Hey Ovation friends,
Thx a million for the many thoughts and opinions. Has anyone had a top replaced? If so, how did it turn out? Any thoughts to share? Was it covered by warranty? If not, what was the cost? again, i'm asking for my good friend who doesnt have internet, i'm hoping my '78 Legend never cracks. I'm babying it in the case with a humidifier during this eastern sub zero cold snap, along with my solid wood Martins. the humididy got down to 31% in my house last week......ackkkkkk!!!! are you guys humidifying your prized O's? who likes what humidifier best? i've been using planet waves model that hangs between strings, into the soundhole. thx again.......JP
Jason_S
Posted 2007-02-05 11:29 PM (#117036 - in reply to #117021)

i was humidifing my guitars untill i got hangers up fo all of them. im not currently humidifing any of them and i havent had any cracks that wernt all ready there. the humidifers i do have are the oasis from elderly and they work pretty well even with multi sound holes. jason
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-02-06 12:24 AM (#117037 - in reply to #117021)

31% is humid here. I quickly figured out that I'd spend a lot less getting a room humidifier for the room where I hang the guitars. Get one with a digital humidistat in it. I pump in about a gallon a day. It's 46% where the guitars are, although I think the humidifier reads high and 23% upstairs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)