The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Should I keep it? CC257 Deluxe Damaged!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

DaveC54
Posted 2007-02-05 11:46 AM (#116927)
Subject: Should I keep it? CC257 Deluxe Damaged!

Just got this guitar off eBay. Long story short there is damage underneath the output jack as if the jack may have been smacked into a wall or something. The jack still tightens to the body, but it is giving away in places and would need to be repaired. The repair would be all but hidden by the outside nut and washer. Well, I didn't pay for a damaged guitar, but the seller says he was unaware of the damage (been in storage in the case for 10 years which I believe looking at the strings) and willing to bargain if I want to keep it. What is the experience here in fixing the composite body? I called an "authorized" repair place and they said a minimum of $75.00. Thought I got a fair price but I have seen undamaged near mint guitars for not much more! Should I consider keeping it, and if so, what would you pay? All else seems fine. According to Ovation the guitar was the first year (1992) for this model. It has the old K-Graphic preamp, but it seems to work fine. If he refunds $75-100 or ??? should I keep it or just return it and look for another? With the case and shipping I paid close to $300. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-05 12:52 PM (#116928 - in reply to #116927)
Subject: Re: Should I keep it? CC257 Deluxe Damaged!

I would keep it and put a re-inforcement on the jack. It's too good a deal to pass on if you can get it for under $250. Dave
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-02-05 1:00 PM (#116929 - in reply to #116927)

I agree with Dave. Get what it will cost to repair from the seller and fix it. Sounds like an easy fix which will not be visable if done right. I doubt that you'll have any problems with the jack after it's fixed.
DaveC54
Posted 2007-02-05 1:36 PM (#116930 - in reply to #116927)

Thank guys. I called another repair center and he said the same thing, that it isn't an uncommon problem and some epoxy and a bigger washer should take care of it. He even said as a "playing guitar", I could even put on one of the jacks with and external plate. I kinda like my things original, so I would hate to screw on a plate, but maybe it isn't a big deal since this guitar isn't an Adamas and just a player? He thought with a few dollars off like you suggested, it was too good a deal to pass up as well.
Styll
Posted 2007-02-05 3:52 PM (#116931 - in reply to #116927)

I would keep it. I use mine for practices...I keep the others for the stage. Its a great guitar for the price. The only problem i had was it would not stay in tune...I changed the tuners and no problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)