The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Is my Deluxe Balladeer vintage?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

steve m
Posted 2010-03-15 12:02 PM (#3917)
Subject: Is my Deluxe Balladeer vintage?

I'm thinking about getting back to my guitar after many years away from it. I bought my Deluxe Balladeer new in 1968. There is no logo or marking on the head or body. The only identification is on a rectangular paper sticker on the inside that identifies it as "Model: Deluxe Balladeer" "Serial: 826" and "Approved:(line is empty). The sticker also says "PAT. APPLIED FOR" at the bottom. My guitar sits on a stand where my 2-year-old granddaughter has access to it. If my guitar has any value, I will keep it away from her until she is older. Could someone please let me know if I have a vintage Ovation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-03-15 12:12 PM (#3918 - in reply to #3917)
Subject: Re: Is my Deluxe Balladeer vintage?

Hi Steve,

Your guitar is certainly "vintage", ie old and it probably sounds very nice. Some folks like myself are really into these old models. Unfortunately, they have not escalated in value very much, so probably not going make your grandkids rich. best advice, play it and enjoy it.

Welcome to the OFC
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-03-15 12:40 PM (#3919 - in reply to #3917)

Any Ovation with a Square (rectangular) or Silver Label is 'Vintage'.
Like the man just said, that only increases the value to a few people.
If you think that your granddaughter might knock your guitar over, I would move it.
Headstocks have been known to snap-off on impact.
fletcher
Posted 2010-03-15 2:34 PM (#3920 - in reply to #3917)

Welcome to the OFC, Steve.

Like Dave (Gallerinski), I love and collect the older examples of Ovation's handy work.

Certainly sounds like you have a nice example, please move it out of harms way and give it the care and use it deserves.
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-03-15 9:48 PM (#3921 - in reply to #3917)

No headstock logo? That would be very unusual. Maybe it just faded away. Some of these are a lot more valuable than others, depending on certain features and over all condition, but in any case, if it is in good condition without damage and you have the original case for it, you can probably get close to 5x what you paid for it. But as others have said, that's not going to make anyone rich ... but it is definitely "Vintage".

Oh ya, welcome!
steve m
Posted 2010-03-15 10:43 PM (#3922 - in reply to #3917)

Thanks you all for your thoughtful and helpful input. I bought my guitar from a music store in Cincinnati. It was new, but I have a vague recollection of being told it was some sort of prototype or demo (maybe an experiment or quality control reject?). That might explain the missing logo on the headstock. There is also another feature that makes my guitar a bit of an oddball. The soundboard is two-piece, but unlike other DB models of the same vintage, my guitar has a textured bowl rather than a shiny bowl. Well, whatever its pedigree, it is a very nice sounding instrument and I think I'll keep it away from my granddaugher until she is old enough to give it the care it deserves. Thanks again for being so responsive.
PEZ
Posted 2010-03-15 11:34 PM (#3923 - in reply to #3917)

Post some pictures we likily can tell ya what it is for sure.
fletcher
Posted 2010-03-16 2:36 AM (#3924 - in reply to #3917)

Steve,

Shiny bowls were being phased out in late 1968.

By 1969 the textured bowls and the second generation bridges arrived across the board.

Sounds like yours came out during that transitional 1968-1969 period.

Great guitars - place it out of harms way but keep it accessible; it needs to be played!
HillbillyPicker63
Posted 2010-03-16 9:27 AM (#3925 - in reply to #3917)

sounds like vintage to me, textured or shiny, either way it's a hand laid bowl and that top has opened up wonderfully... I'd lay it on the floor for the toddler to play with, all my kids did, just don't leave them in stands or on hangers where the little buggers keep trying to move them or take them down.

Welcome!

Ray-Ray
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)