The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What kind of guitar is this?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

LukeTheDrifter
Posted 2010-03-15 8:11 PM (#3908)
Subject: What kind of guitar is this?

Hello everyone, I just found this site and want to say thank you, what a great resource! After playing for years in the bars and honky tonks, I'm hanging up the Marshall 1/2 stack and picking up an acoustic to play in my church. As a kid, I remember a fellow I knew briefly who showed me some guitar chords at the pay lake and it had this funny back on it (ovation of course). I remembered how sweet that guitar sounded to my young ears and I knew that someday I would own one of those fine guitars. Fast forward 30 years and I have recently found what I consider to be a very nice Ovation guitar in a local sale ad. Here's what I know, It was bought in 1989, and the original sale price was close to 700 dollars. I was curious about the dark colored top of the guitar, I can't find this color anywhere for the Ovation line. The model is an Ultra, according to the ad. I just wanted some Ovation pros to take a look at the pics and give me an opinion. Thanks for your input.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
numbfingers
Posted 2010-03-15 9:06 PM (#3909 - in reply to #3908)
Subject: Re: What kind of guitar is this?

Looks like a nice guitar, and moreso if you enjoy playing it. Did they call that color nutmeg? If you can take a closeup of the label, the real experts will identify it.

-Steve W.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2010-03-15 9:23 PM (#3910 - in reply to #3908)

1651 Legend Limited?
http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=973
LukeTheDrifter
Posted 2010-03-15 9:24 PM (#3911 - in reply to #3908)

The wood composition in the ad said it was a "mahogany" top, but I did not see that as an option in my online searches. I'm unable to provide a closeup of the label, unless I can contact the seller and see if they will accomodate me, I'll certainly try. thanks for you input
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-03-15 9:43 PM (#3912 - in reply to #3908)

That looks like an Ultra, with a laminated top with a Mahogany veneer. Likely made in Korea in the late 80's, and it could be a 1512 or a 1517 model (Ultra Deluxe) with the bound fingerboard and diamonds inlays. Generally a nice guitar, but definitely mid-level from a quality, sound, and price perspective.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2010-03-15 9:48 PM (#3913 - in reply to #3908)

You're right bobbo. No skunk stripe and the top's too figured to be spruce.
Never mind.
LukeTheDrifter
Posted 2010-03-15 10:04 PM (#3914 - in reply to #3908)

Excellent, that's great input and seems to line up with a production chart I'd found online. I was figuring a 1517 or 1527, but the color was throwing me off. A mid level instrument is acceptable and the asking price is reasonable, around 350 with the case, the stated condition is like new, with little or no wear. I would prefer a solid top, but I'm also on a budget. Here's a decent link, sorry if it is redundant to the board. Thanks again for a very nice website.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/files/prices.asp
LukeTheDrifter
Posted 2010-03-15 10:19 PM (#3915 - in reply to #3908)

Just received an email for those of you playing at home, the official answer is a model 1517. Thanks again to all, the info on the country of origin, laminated top and overall "status" of the guitar was extremely helpful in my decision.
Slipkid
Posted 2010-03-17 6:21 PM (#3916 - in reply to #3908)

welcome Luke.. you're set up for the main forum.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)