The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Newbie - looking for a guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

F-Note
Posted 2010-03-21 11:27 AM (#3853)
Subject: Newbie - looking for a guitar

Hi
I am such a fan of ovation, but have never owned one. I am just learning to play and want to purchase a guitar that will be a life long love, one time purchase.
Can you advise on what type I should be focused on. I'm looking for a deep toned folk guitar, but not the deep bowl back--tooo deep for me to reach around. I won't be playing plugged for a while, so the lower tones unplugged is what I'll fall in love with.
I adore the Custom 2009 FKOA, but do they all have the deep contour back?
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. :confused:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
leapin
Posted 2010-03-21 12:24 PM (#3854 - in reply to #3853)
Subject: Re: Newbie - looking for a guitar

Hi F-Note, and welcome. I am not the most knowledgeable person here about Ovation and Adamas guitars. Others will give you some better advice. What I would suggest is that you take your time and learn as much as you can before buying. Visit ovationguitars.com (look at Ovation Archive) and adamasguitars.com, and use the search engine on this site. It sounds like you would like a mid depth bowl. The Applause and Celebrity models are bottom of the line Ovations and this is what you will find at guitar stores. Used Ovations are a great deal and they appear in the For Sale section regularly. Buying from other members here is a lot safer than eBay and generally the posted price is very fair. Good luck and enjoy. These are really great sounding and playing guitars and you get a lot for your money.

Cheers,
Daniel
bvince
Posted 2010-03-21 1:07 PM (#3855 - in reply to #3853)

Welcome F-Note

Take a look at the OvationTribute link under the "links" section above. There are quite a few pictures of many (if not all) Ovation/Adamas guitars there. You may also want to divulge your price range, as that will help narrow the field for the advice-givers here. There are many to choose from, and looking at what's out there first will help narrow the field. If you are wanting a long term guitar investment MY recommendation is to by a USA made model. determine what "look" you want, i.e., epaulets or the round hole type, type of wood, or color/burst effect you like, ornate, plain, or middle-of-the-road. (if you like the FKOA you probably like lots of bling) A nice somewhat affordable guitar simular to the FKOA would be the Custom Legend, which comes in black, natural, or various burst colors with lots of abalone and can be found in a mid bowl. The deep contour bowl actually fits the belly better than the regular medium bowl in my opinion. If you go smaller than a medium you will lose a lot of sound projection. Those are my recommendations for what they're worth. Like Leapin said though, you will probably be safer buying from members of this board over Ebay. There are also a couple dealers/members who can hook you up with a used one if you desire to save money, but I can also attest that they are extremely good at getting you an outstanding deal on a new one. Alpep recently listed a large number of excellent closeout deals that he apparently picked up from the factory ... make sure you check that out!
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-21 4:00 PM (#3856 - in reply to #3853)

Hi Vince and Daniel
Thanks for your welcome. I do like a bit of bling, but the deep dark sound is more important. My price range for used would be $900 to $1400. Med bowl or contour is the bowl type. I definately do not want celebrity, balladeer AX, or applause.
My top three wish list, on order of pref. are:
2009 FKOA Collectors (either colour)
Custom Legend C779LX (Cherry or Black)
Legend 1777LX (Burgandy or Black)
These three are hard to find in Canada, never mind used. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, but would be willing to travel to pick up a good used guitar to the northern states.
Can someone give me rights to the Sale link?
Many thanks for your help so far. I'll keep reading and learning.
Slipkid
Posted 2010-03-21 6:39 PM (#3857 - in reply to #3853)

Welcome f-note. If you like deep & dark I'd say you are on track with the 2009 koa. A koa top give about the darkest sound an Ovation can offer.
And... you are set up for the main board.
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-21 7:06 PM (#3858 - in reply to #3853)

Thank you for the main board access Brad!
I agree, my fav guitar is the 2009 collectors KOA, celtic knot.
I hope to find a used one here, with some kind of newbie magic.
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-22 10:39 AM (#3859 - in reply to #3853)

Hi Leapin/Daniel
I think we have started something....see under General Postings, Mitzdawg's comments.
I apologize if I have in anyway insulted Celebrity, Balladeer, and Applause owners.
I didn't mean to insult these wonderful guitars,or their owners. I was just commenting on my personal preference for a guitar sound.
I think an artist needs to fall in love with his/her guitar and that guitars' voice. We all have different tastes.
We have varied attractions to music types and sounds. Vive la difference.
Again, my apologies to Mitzdawg and any other owners I offended.
Cindy
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-22 10:43 AM (#3860 - in reply to #3853)

Hi bvince
In your last message you mentioned dealers you could hook me up with to help locating a 2009 FKOA Collectors guitar.
Could you post those links for me? I would like to contact them and see what happens.
Thanks.
Also, next week I will post a message under "sale" message board, indicating my interest in purchasing one of these.
Cindy
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-03-22 11:08 AM (#3861 - in reply to #3853)

Go up to LINKS at the top of this page and get the list. Lost Art Vintage is Al Pepiak's business, one of this board's founders. I just looked at his site and he has some pictures of the 09 Collector. Email him or call him. He might be at a guitar clinic this week, but usually he gets right back.
leapin
Posted 2010-03-22 11:43 AM (#3862 - in reply to #3853)

No problem, F-Note. That thread started last week and is in good humor. Besides, everyone is used to the criticism and jokes. I kinda like the salad bowl one. Just compare a new Celebrity to a new, comparably priced Martin and make your decision. Ovation sells lots of Celebrity and Applause guitars.

Cheers,
Daniel
playdbluz
Posted 2010-03-22 9:14 PM (#3863 - in reply to #3853)

https://www.andrewsmusic.net/shoppingcart/products/NEW-OVATION-2009-...

The trick is always to be patient and shop, shop shop.

you can see here (though this guy is sold out) this guitar has sold NEW for as low as 1100....
list was 3999, I think and most folks bought in between 1700 and 2300.

Good luck.
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-23 8:51 AM (#3864 - in reply to #3853)

I may have located a 2009 FKOA Collectors, its on hold for a buyer, but the buyer has left it too long. This may pan out.....asking $2,100US, a bit high for me, but may be able to negotiate.

Also..I have found an interesting maybe....
CUSTOM Celebrity CC057 made in USA, Cedar Top, S/Shallow body (I question if I will get the deep dark strumming sounds from this one,..but with the cedar top....maybe?) In n/n condition. It's listed in my hometown, but haven't seen the guitar yet.
Is this a good deal for $350CDN and is it even worth going to see? Any opinions gratefully received.
playdbluz
Posted 2010-03-23 10:42 AM (#3865 - in reply to #3853)

While any guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay, I think 2100 is high for the KOA.

If you like the KOA wood and are looking at celebs, have you searched for a CC047? Theres a handful out there (use Craigslook.com) in the 450 to 500 range.

Do you play acoustic for a room or do you plug in?

I ask, because plugged in, you can manipulate a shallow bowl for amazing depth.

That said, that CC057 for 350 loonies is about inline with sales Ive seen, though I saw one sale for 300US NEW online. I also use Amazon.com and Bizrate.com to do price comparisons.

again, good luck
cliff
Posted 2010-03-23 10:57 AM (#3866 - in reply to #3853)

Check with Al on one of the koa "blow-hole" Elites . . .
Beal
Posted 2010-03-23 11:05 AM (#3867 - in reply to #3853)

check with Al
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-23 1:04 PM (#3868 - in reply to #3853)

And who is Al?
(I'm a new kid on the block)
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-23 1:06 PM (#3869 - in reply to #3853)

sorry, I just read above. Do you mean Al Pepiak?
Got it.
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-23 1:08 PM (#3870 - in reply to #3853)

Does anyone know how to email Al? His website doesn't show an email.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-03-23 2:04 PM (#3871 - in reply to #3853)

Look again. It's right under his mailing address. And you will get both a great deal and great service if you buy from Al.
F-Note
Posted 2010-03-23 6:21 PM (#3872 - in reply to #3853)

Thanks Alison
Got it!
I have been emailing him this afternoon and he's given me a few things to think over.....
I won't say anymore until something is firmed up.
Thanks for your help.
Cindy
Mitzdawg
Posted 2010-03-23 9:15 PM (#3873 - in reply to #3853)

A Word of encouragement:
I bought my 09C Koa from Al and I love it. Be aware that pictures do NOT do these guitars justice. I was at the factory when the tops were being finished and each and every one was awesome. Oh, and Al's not so bad either. ;-)

And the Applause thread was to encourage Applause owners to confess. The local curmudgeons and snobs can get uppity about Applauses and Celebs.
No offense taken. Welcome.
muzza
Posted 2010-03-24 9:23 AM (#3874 - in reply to #3853)

Originally posted by F-Note:
I apologize if I have in anyway insulted Celebrity, Balladeer, and Applause owners.
I didn't mean to insult these wonderful guitars,or their owners.
Nah, don't worry about it. They know they've got inferior copies of the US made Ovations and most of them are used to the jibes.

The owners of these guitars may very well be wonderful, but the guitars certainly ain't. (Balladeers excepted) I'm convinced that it's because of the cheap Celebrity/Applause/Asian knock-offs that Ovation has such an unwarranted bad reputation.

If someone owns and loves a Celebrity or Applause, then I'm happy for them. It just shouldn't say 'Ovation' on the headstock.

Just my $0.05 worth of US 'O' snobbery.
bvince
Posted 2010-03-25 4:14 PM (#3875 - in reply to #3853)

F-Note: I purchased my '09 Koa through Al also, and he gave me the best price I could find anywhere ... for a NEW one.
Tony Calman
Posted 2010-03-25 9:23 PM (#3876 - in reply to #3853)

I bought (from what I understand) the last two of Al's 2009C and his serial # 001.

# 001 will stay,

#'s 062 and 082 are available now or later. Although brand new in case, they would not have the warranty as I am not a dealer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)