The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Cracks on Fronts

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

F-Note
Posted 2010-03-22 10:26 AM (#3832)
Subject: Cracks on Fronts

Why is it that most Ovation guitars advertised on Ebay have cracks running from the bridge downwards?
What causes these cracks? Is there too much stress on the wood platform?
If the crack is just in the laminate, will it eventually contaminate/jeopardize the underlying wood?
I'm trying to understand what causes and how to prevent these damages.
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2010-03-22 10:35 AM (#3833 - in reply to #3832)
Subject: Re: Cracks on Fronts

The good news is that the thicker Poly finish on the earlier O's protected well and allowed a lot of guitars to survive 30 plus years of abuse.

The downside is that the thicker finish doesn't swell/contract the same as the Spruce top so that when hit with humidity and temperature swings the result is finish cracking.

Keep in mind that these same environmental concerns would cause a wood box with lacquer to pop and buckle as well.

The Bridge to Bottom is the most common crack.

Poly finish is tough but can not be "melted in" like the lacquer finishes.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-03-22 11:14 AM (#3834 - in reply to #3832)

I just sold a 1973 Country Artist that had a few dings, but no crack from the bridge down. When it arrived in Milwaukee, it had one. The temperature was in the 50s here and there, but who knows what it went through enroute. Both buyer and seller were bummed. I don't know how it could have been avoided. Seems like after 37 years it would have been immune.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-03-22 11:27 AM (#3835 - in reply to #3832)

There was a thread on the Chet Atkins board about this. I posted that temperature changes could crack the finish and somebody there was adamant that only rough handling could do it. Sheesh.....
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-03-22 4:22 PM (#3836 - in reply to #3832)

Originally posted by F-Note:
Why is it that most Ovation guitars advertised on Ebay have cracks running from the bridge downwards?
Because that is when they decide to sell them... After they get the cracks.
The sellers have guitars without cracks... They are keeping those. :D

My Real Question is this---
Why is it that when a Gibson has finish cracks it is call "Crazing" and considered a sign of Character...
But when an Ovation has a finish crack it is called a "Crack" and considered a Flaw?
MWoody
Posted 2010-03-22 5:52 PM (#3837 - in reply to #3832)

RE:
"My Real Question is this---
Why is it that when a Gibson has finish cracks it is call "Crazing" and considered a sign of Character...
But when an Ovation has a finish crack it is called a "Crack" and considered a Flaw?"

Because they paid too much for theirs... :D :D :D :rolleyes:
Actually, Lacquer crazes and Poly cracks.
fletcher
Posted 2010-03-22 5:58 PM (#3838 - in reply to #3832)

I agree with Woody.

Crazed lacquer actually looks kind of cool but cracked poly looks way too much like a crack in the wood itself.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2010-03-24 4:22 PM (#3839 - in reply to #3832)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
There was a thread on the Chet Atkins board about this. I posted that temperature changes could crack the finish and somebody there was adamant that only rough handling could do it. Sheesh.....
Paul,
I have proof - I put my first Ovation in a moving van and it sat out overnight - didn't move, no rough handling. But it was February and the temps fell. It went into the van flawless and came out the next morning with four huge honkin' finish cracks.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2010-03-26 10:39 PM (#3840 - in reply to #3832)

I own 3 Ovations:

-'76 Folklore that I got on ebay last year...no cracks.
-'82 Pacemaker that I got on ebay a fea years ago...no cracks.
-'97 Collectors that was purchased from ebay 4 years ago...no cracks.

I'm sure the thinner finish on the newer Ovations will help with the crack problems, but these my guitars are not in that catagory. I feel like how they are treated through their lifetime and temp/humidity make a big difference.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-03-26 11:25 PM (#3841 - in reply to #3832)

As long as there's no cracks in the back or sides I wouldn't worry.

Seriously, temperature and humidity control are essential. Just do it.
PEZ
Posted 2010-04-10 2:37 PM (#3842 - in reply to #3832)

My pacemaker had a finish crack.
The Mothership filled it and buffed it out.
You can barely see it was ever there.
Posted 2010-04-13 12:08 PM (#3843 - in reply to #3832)

I have been using Ovations for years and have never had any problems with the poly finishes cracking.

I live in Winnipeg which has one of the most extreme climates in North America... In the winter it is -40C most of the time and in the summer it is often +35C. My guitars are often transported in the winter and have survived by just using a bit of common sense. Try not to bash the case on anything when they are cold (goes without saying...) and above all, always allow the case at least half an hour to come back to room temperature before opening it (and shocking the hell out of your poor guitar, lol).

Another thing I have done that has worked great for me (and goes against common practice...), is that I keep the relative humidity in my studio (where the guitars are stored...) at 25-30%. Many people are shocked to walk in and see a de-humidifier running full bore and NOT a humidifier. Most people would say this is way too low, but I know of several studios in town that keep the humidity at 60%... and they have problems with their acoustic guitars. As well, I have found the drier temperatures to be much easier on the necks than when they were stored elsewhere in higher humidity.

Would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on this...
Rock Blues Guitarist GW Williams
Posted 2010-04-26 12:22 AM (#3844 - in reply to #3832)

Do you want the truth or a lie....I know the truth.
I have been playing Ovation professionally for years, I have no cracks ,dings of dents,no chips, no nothing on my guitars.
The best guitar I've ever heard on an acoustic is my Ovation Legend 1717 which I purchased brand new 25 years ago....don't let people tell you Ovations don't age well....geeee whiz, I can stack this guitar up against any Martin and whip them hard !!...NO lie.
Now the truth about ebay.......ok listen up...most of those guitars with cracks are from Pawn Shops. I wouldn't sell my Ovation 1717 legend for $10,000 even...it's a dream to play.
I also own a newer Ovation Legend 1777...the older guitars the best !!

Ovation guitars have gotton a very bad rap the past few years....and mainly because guitarist think of Ovations cheaply mad Celebrity Guitars.
A real Ovation Deep Bowl designed they way they were made in the 70's and 80's were without doubt some the best guitars ever made. Infact most studios wouldn't let you record without an Ovation Legend. Now many of you can say Martin is better....but I never had heard a Martin better than my Old Legend and it's also lighting fast.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-04-26 12:38 AM (#3845 - in reply to #3832)

Geez GW, you have got to learn to take a position on a subject. Don't be so wishy washy.

I don't know that there's any one "best" guitar. Every guitar has it's strengths and weaknesses. Whether there's a best sound? Well, my sound comes from me, not the guitar.

Today at church I played a Taylor (I had to share my spot with a visitor and rather than plug and unplug, we both just passed his guitar back and forth). I didn't care for the guitar or the sound, but if you asked people, they probably couldn't have told you there was any difference between me with a Taylor and with an Ovation/Adamii.
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-04-26 2:48 AM (#3846 - in reply to #3832)

Originally posted by Rock Blues Guitarist GW Williams:
geeee whiz, I can stack this guitar up against any Martin and whip them hard !!...NO lie.

Now many of you can say Martin is better....but I never had heard a Martin better than my Old Legend
Well, I'm glad you are so passionate about your Ovation. Most of us here are very passionate about ours.

But to each their own. Last month I had the chance to play three well-aged Martin guitars owned by friends ... and no Ovation I have ever played (and there have been many) comes close to any one of those three Martins. But they are a different sound than the typical Ovation ... what sounds good to your ears is all that matters.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-26 5:51 AM (#3847 - in reply to #3832)

Originally posted by Rock Blues Guitarist GW Williams:
Infact most studios wouldn't let you record without an Ovation Legend.
Really? I didn't know that. That's a tremendous feather in the hat for Ovation. Explains why so many records just sound sooo good.

That's interesting about all those cracked pawn shop guitars on ebay. Do you now what they do to them that causes them to crack?
Beal
Posted 2010-04-26 10:49 AM (#3848 - in reply to #3832)

It's the pawn in the shop that does it, that's why they crack.
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-04-26 12:12 PM (#3849 - in reply to #3832)

I think that's where the term pwned came from.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-04-26 2:07 PM (#3850 - in reply to #3832)

It's because they don't do anything about humidity control in pawn shops the way they do in most music stores. They are also more likely to put the prettiest guitars (read Ovation) right in the windows.
Ingrid Hansen
Posted 2010-04-26 9:53 PM (#3851 - in reply to #3832)

Cracks in Os. My new to me 6868 has a crack that just appeared. I didn't notice it when it arrived, it did have a little shadow in that area. I got done putting new strings on it and there it was. Just to the side of the bridge on the low E side, a six inch long crack in the clear coat. Where is this mothership that fixes these things? How much does it cost? Can I just keep playing it for awhile, or do I set it aside til it's fixed?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-04-26 10:11 PM (#3852 - in reply to #3832)

Oooo! :( The MotherShip is in New Hartford, CT.

And Yes, You can play it until you get it fixed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)