The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My C2078LX is home!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

AstroDan
Posted 2010-04-02 5:44 PM (#3762)
Subject: My C2078LX is home!

I got the call from my local music store to come down and pick her up!
Wow! This git is beautiful!

A couple things of note...
It's not as loud as I thought it would be. I think my D-15 might be a bit louder... but, it does indeed sound even better. Mellow, while at the same time resonant. The sustain is nice and it feels easier to play. Some of my old favorites like Blackbird and Is Anybody Out There seem to play themselves! I strummed out an open E chord and each note rang true. Sweet!!! The (only) acoustic sound is warmer and the "bling" is gorgeous! Can't wait to get an amplifier for this. Suggestions?

Question: I bought this as a Custom Elite and yet, take a look at the label. Is this normal or a mistake from the factory?

Thanks in advance for any input and thanks to Ovation for this addition to my home.

Dan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PEZ
Posted 2010-04-02 6:25 PM (#3763 - in reply to #3762)
Subject: Re: My C2078LX is home!

ooops yes the label oppps
Love the bling on the CE

Sweet old Guild in the back.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-04-02 6:32 PM (#3764 - in reply to #3762)

Wrong label. What do you want to use the amp for? Gigging? Vocals? Big or small venue? Your Custom Elite is beautiful....
AstroDan
Posted 2010-04-02 7:03 PM (#3765 - in reply to #3762)

Interesting about the label.
I'd like the amp for small venues and maybe vocals. I read in here (somewhere, I can't find it now) about a small cube amp that sounded right up my alley.
Thanks about the Guild. That's my sisters old guitar that she bought new back in the 70's. She gave it to me since she kinda quit playing.

I can feel some GAS building. I'm thinking something in a natural finish... :)
playdbluz
Posted 2010-04-03 11:13 AM (#3766 - in reply to #3762)

for aroung the house, I have a Crate CA300. I think it flatters an ovation...
marenostrum
Posted 2010-04-03 11:21 AM (#3767 - in reply to #3762)

Congrats for your new Ovation; it's beautiful.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2010-04-03 4:17 PM (#3768 - in reply to #3762)

I'm a sucker for bling and that thing is gorgeous!

Congrats!!
AstroDan
Posted 2010-04-03 4:22 PM (#3769 - in reply to #3762)

My fingers are killing me! I've been playing the frets off this thing and I can tell my Martin will be 2nd choice now. What do folks think of this amp for practice and around-the-house or at the park etc?
Roland Cube
AstroDan
Posted 2010-04-03 4:28 PM (#3770 - in reply to #3762)

A few more pics...

CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-04-03 4:29 PM (#3771 - in reply to #3762)

Generally speaking, I love Roland amps. But that one is not an acoustic amp. It'll still sound OK, but to make your new baby really shine, an acoustic amp is the way to go. I agree with Playdbluz, Crates and Ovations sound SO good together.
playdbluz
Posted 2010-04-04 12:08 AM (#3772 - in reply to #3762)

I have plugged into the smaller yamaha PAs as well and was more than satisfied with true acoustic amplification. I will have to look up the model I liked so much... two speakers on stands with the controls built in. Not too big for your home, but big enough to drive a small venue or event
FlySig
Posted 2010-04-05 10:24 AM (#3773 - in reply to #3762)

Dan, that guitar is gorgeous!

The best way to pick an amp is to plug into a whole bunch of them. You'll find a few dogs in the bunch, but then you'll also find a few really nice sounding units.

We found that the lower power amps were also lower fidelity. It seems that at 60W they start using much better speakers and cabinet designs. An acoustic amp is really just a small personal PA system, so consider looking at some PA systems as well. If you expect to expand out to a small band in the future, it could make sense to get a PA system which could be used for multiple instruments and vocalists.

If you want to just plug in at the house you can get by with a fairly small unit, but if you play coffee houses or bigger gigs you will want a better sounding system. A bigger amp will sound fine turned down quiet, but a small amp will sound like crap turned up to restaurant volumes.

Crank each amp you try up to a fairly loud volume. You'll find that many will have nasty speaker distortion before they get very loud, making their claimed wattage unusable.

We bought the Crate 60W Gunnison model. It has some nice features, such as two channels, mic XLR inputs as well as 1/4" guitar inputs, MP3 player inputs, and a nifty tilt-back gizmo built into the bottom so you can tilt it up on stage if you want.

A smaller lighter unit in the 60W class that is well loved but not as loud as the Crate (but still plenty loud for a good sized gig) is the Roland AC60. Pretty much the same features as the Crate 60 but in a smaller much more portable package.

Then you get into the Bose systems which sound great but get quite spendy.
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-04-05 11:37 AM (#3774 - in reply to #3762)

Hey Dan ... Congrats on the beautiful guitar. I have a Genz Benz Shen 60 which is just about perfect for playing at home and/or taking out to small venues ... For me anyway.

I'm about 30 minutes from you south on 680. If you want to check out the GB to get an idea (it's not for sale tho), just send me a PM and we can figure out how to connect.

bobbo
AstroDan
Posted 2010-04-05 6:20 PM (#3775 - in reply to #3762)

Thanks for all the input folks! I have a lot of looking/reseach to do. Maybe I can hook up with Stonebobbo to look at his set-up...
Expect to see me in the (near) future on the "For Sale" forum.

Dan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)