The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OVATION PINNACLE: Setting the Truss; Setting the Action

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

slx5c
Posted 2010-04-15 9:27 PM (#3648)
Subject: OVATION PINNACLE: Setting the Truss; Setting the Action

The measuring tool to measure gaps in millimeters and inches can be purchased at a Hardware store, an Automotive Part Store, or possibly a Music Store; it is wise to get the set that measures both millimeters and inches; then you just combine the right numbers in millimeters to get your proper measuring range, or you can use inches if you prefer that. The tool is usually made of metal; looks like tiny bookmark tabs, and has different measuring thicknesses, and they are all held together with a loop tie, or an index type of holder.

The order of making measurements on the OVATION PINNACLE is the TRUSS first, and to do this you:

Make sure that your guitar is tuned to A440, and that it stays in tune to A440 throughout the entire process of Truss Adjustment, and Actions settings.

*****Place a Capo just behind the First Fret Bar in the first Fret Space Position, and not on the Fret Bar itself.

Now, use your index finger and pushing down the Thickest Bass E String on the Thirteenth Fret Bar itself so that string and bar are touching on the Thirteenth Fret Bar.

Now, slide the proper measured gap tool on top of the Fifth Fret Bar, and under the Thickest Bass E String, and to be a correct measure, it should not bump into the string, and it should not slide under the string without some slight contact. In my case, The Truss had to measure between .005 inches and .010 inches for the OVATION PINNACLE.

Now the Truss is measured:

Things to remember about the TRUSS; when staying at a different altitude the Truss may need to be measured again because of different Atmospheric Pressures; when seasons change the Truss may need to be measured again because of the different temperatures. These are more reasons why you do not put your guitar near heat, sunlight, cold, and why it is best to let your guitar adjust to the temperature change gradually while staying in its closed case, and later only slightly opening the case; thus, bringing the guitar to a gradual adjustment. Also, you should contact your local music store, or get online and order a Humidifier for Acoustic guitar. They cost around $10.00 to $20.00 USA, and the Humidifier stays with your guitar in its closed guitar case, and it keeps the guitar around a 50 to 55 percent humidity and this is very good.

Another point of interest about the Truss: REMEMBER, WHEN YOUR GUITAR IS PUT ON AN AIRPLANE YOU LOOSEN THE STRINGS BEFORE THE GUITAR EVEN LEAVES THE GROUND!!!!!

*****Now it is time to measure the Action; so we remove the Capo so that NOTHING is touching the strings.

Now, to measure the Action, you slide the proper measured gap tool on top of the Twelfth Fret Bar and under the Thick Bass E String, and there should only be a slight contact at 6/64 inches(2.38 mm). Then you slide the proper measured gap tool on the top of the Twelfth Fret Bar again, but this time it is under the Thinnest Treble E String, and there should only be a slight contact at 4/64 inches (1.5875mm).

Now, if the Action is too low, or too high it could be that a different gauge of strings are now on the guitar other than what the Company Ovation installed. Ovation installs Acoustic Strings that are gauged at .053 .042 .032 .024 .016 .012 in inches at their factory on the OVATION PINNACLE. Shims can be installed to raise the bridge, or the bridge can be sized by a professional to lower the bridge if the different gauge strings are creating problems but the musician wants to stay with their desired gauge of strings.

Now, if the Action is an incorrect measurement, and the strings are gauged at .053 .042 .032 .024 .016 .012 in inches, then Shims may be required, or a Bridge Replacement may be in order. Questions about the proper size of Shims, Bridge Replacements, or other needed information can be emailed to: askus@ovationguitars.com

Other information about the OVATION PINNACLE:

OVATION PINNACLE [MODEL NUMBER: MODEL 3862]
6 STRING ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC
BODY TYPE: SUPER-SHALLOW C/A
TOP: SOLID SPRUCE
BRACING: MODIFIED
SCALE LENGTH: 25 1/4"
FRETBOARD: ROSEWOOD
FRET INLAY: DOTS
BRIDGE: ROSEWOOD
ROSETTE: OVATION PERLOID INSERT
PICK UP: PIEZOELECTRIC
NUTWIDTH: 1 11/16"
MACHINES: SCHALLER NICKEL
CASE: HARD
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Grif
Posted 2010-04-15 10:43 PM (#3649 - in reply to #3648)
Subject: Re: OVATION PINNACLE: Setting the Truss; Setting the Action

That just may be the most awesome 1st post in OFC history! Welcome Six5c!

How much do you think my 1537 is worth?
schroeder
Posted 2010-04-16 9:59 AM (#3650 - in reply to #3648)

Will a deep bowl change any of the truss settings?
Beal
Posted 2010-04-16 2:43 PM (#3651 - in reply to #3648)

I'll take guitar adjustments for $200 Alex.
Waskel
Posted 2010-04-16 9:33 PM (#3652 - in reply to #3648)

Why does this sound familiar?
... AW, yes...
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-17 12:48 AM (#3653 - in reply to #3648)

AW, that's unbelievable. Nice find.
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-23 2:01 PM (#3654 - in reply to #3648)

Remember when replacing strings to put some Lemon Oil Treatment that is WITHOUT wax on a clean cloth, and swab the FretBoard with the moistened cloth of Lemon Oil treatment in order to keep the FretBoard in a good and healthy condition. Lemon Oil Treatment without wax can be purchased at a Hardware store, or online for about $10.00 USA.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-23 2:50 PM (#3655 - in reply to #3648)

Better to use straight mineral oil.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-04-23 3:06 PM (#3656 - in reply to #3648)

by Gallerinski:
Better to use straight mineral oil.
Baby Laxative, About $5/pint.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-23 3:13 PM (#3657 - in reply to #3648)

Yup. That's the stuff to use.
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-23 9:28 PM (#3658 - in reply to #3648)

Wow, I did not know that. I was told by a guitar shop to use lemon oil treatment, and when I bought the Gibson Renewal Kit, it came with a bottle of polish, and a bottle of cream to clean metals which works great at removing sweat and rust, and there was a third bottle which was lemon oil treatment. Now the question arises, how is Lemon Oil treatment not as good as Pure Mineral Oil; other than the smell because I do like the smell of the Lemon Oil Treatment, but something tells me from your reply there is something that I do not know about Mineral oil being better for the fretboard?
Waskel
Posted 2010-04-23 9:56 PM (#3659 - in reply to #3648)

I find that hard to believe.
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-23 10:10 PM (#3660 - in reply to #3648)

The kit is by Gibson, and is called Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit; the bottle of Fretboard Conditioner has the same color of Lemon Oil Treatment, and looks the same in texture; however, it does lack the smell of the Lemon Oil Treatment which means something is different. The other bottles are one bottle of Low Abrasion Metal Cleaner, and the other bottle is Cream Guitar Polish; thus, making a total of 3 separate bottles. Again, if a reviewer can be accurate, what is the benefit of the Straight Mineral Oil over that of Lemon Oil Treatment; other than the smell because I know some people will not like that; however, I do. I just want to know what I am missing out on, or if I am possibly damaging the fretboard? Please be serious in your reply!
numbfingers
Posted 2010-04-23 10:58 PM (#3661 - in reply to #3648)

I think I've read here that mineral oil is what Ovation recommends. Maybe because it's nothing but oil. To continue with this very serious post, look at the ingredients in Formby's "Lemon Oil":

PRODUCT NAME
FORMBY’S* Lemon Oil Treatment
MANUFACTURER’S NAME EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NO.
FORMBY’S (216) 566−2917
10 Mountainview Road
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
DATE OF PREPARATION INFORMATION TELEPHONE NO.
31−MAR−07 (800) 523−9299
===========================================================================
Section 2 −− COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
% by WT CAS No. INGREDIENT UNITS VAPOR PRESSURE
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−ͨ 2;−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−− 722;−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
74 64742−47−8 Heavy Aliphatic Solvent
ACGIH TLV Not Available 0.1 mm
OSHA PEL Not Available
25 64741−89−5 Paraffin Oil
ACGIH TLV 5 mg/m3 as Mist
OSHA PEL 5 mg/m3 as Mist
1 Proprietary Odorant
ACGIH TLV Not Available
OSHA PEL Not Available

It's 74% solvent, 25% oil, and 1% odorant. So "lemon oil" doesn't tell you much about the product.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-23 11:03 PM (#3662 - in reply to #3648)

Mineral Oil (aka baby laxative) is used and recommend by the very people in the Ovation factory that build and care for our guitars. If THEY say to use, I just do so and don't ask questions.

Clarinet bore oil, or even light weight non-detergent motor oil are also fine choices for rosewood fingerboards. They do not penetrate was all on dense ebony fretboards.

Save the lemons for your iced tea.
Grif
Posted 2010-04-23 11:17 PM (#3663 - in reply to #3648)

I think one of the differences is the Ovation factory isn't trying to sell you a $20 "Guitar Finishing Kit" every couple of years.

One $5 bottle of mineral oil will last a lifetime, unless you have a guitar collection like Povation.

I just changed the strings on my 1537, cleaned and mineral oiled the fretboard, looks like a $million.
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-04-23 11:50 PM (#3664 - in reply to #3648)

I use oil (called FretDoctor) that is formulated to be used on fifes and other wooden instruments like clarinets. Works real well for me and a real small bottle lasts for years.

As shown above, most lemon oils have a bunch of other things in it other than oil that will actually dry out and harm your fretboard.
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-24 12:18 AM (#3665 - in reply to #3648)

Wow, I have to change two other places that I have recommended Lemon Oil. That is it for me, I needed to change strings on my guitars anyway, and from now on it is what Ovation recommends, and if it is straight Mineral Oil, then discussion over; it is straight Mineral Oil! Thanks for your serious replies! And thanks to you Numbfingers, OUCH it is only 25% oil! Where is the Lemon OIL in Lemon OIL?! 74% Solvent, what am I doing cleaning gun powder off of a metal gun barrel. This makes me angry that I am just now finding this out; fortunately, I bought the Gibson Kit before using lemon oil too many times. I can mark this as a cheap lesson learned because the word Solvent totally disrupts my guitarist soul.
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-24 12:49 AM (#3666 - in reply to #3648)

Ok, next Question: I bought the Gibson Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit mainly for the Low Abrasion Metal Cleaner because I sweat all over my Ibanez Electric Guitar, and the pickups begin to rust , and the Tremolo Bar collects sweat in the roller guides. When I change strings it becomes difficult to pull that platform of the Tremolo Bar back and forward to loosen the platform which the Tremolo is made. The Low Abrasion Metal Cleaner takes care of that problem by getting inside those guides. Does anyone have Recommendations about a Low Abrasion Metal Cleaner that Ovation might suggest for metal parts? Sorry for the gross sweaty descriptions, but it is what it is! (Laughter)
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-04-24 5:28 PM (#3667 - in reply to #3648)

Slx, there ARE different types of lemon oil. Fret Doctor makes a lemon oil specifically for fretboards, and it is PURE lemon oil, no solvent. I'm sure the stuff you got with the Gibson kit is OK to use. When I was working at Ovation many years ago, Ovation recommended linseed oil. Now they recommend mineral oil. My opinion? They are all good. (And right now what I am using is an orange scented oil that I got as a freebie when I ordered a bunch of SIT strings for my store. It does a great job and it smells good.)
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-24 6:09 PM (#3668 - in reply to #3648)

Thanks CanterburyStrings; I went and bought Mineral Oil last night, and I pulled all my guitars out, took off old strings, and applied Mineral Oil, and put on new Strings; I will be finished with them all tonight. One thing that suprised me is that the Mineral Oil was thick, but it applied well, and did a much better job then any of the other items I have tried. I now want to know of a good Cream Finish to apply to the Guitar surface that I will apply only when I restring because I use Gibson Spray Polish on regular days to remove sweat, and I want a good Low Abrasion Metal Cleaner for the metal parts that collect sweat over a period of time.
numbfingers
Posted 2010-04-24 8:20 PM (#3669 - in reply to #3648)

Originally posted by CanterburyStrings:
Slx, there ARE different types of lemon oil. Fret Doctor makes a lemon oil specifically for fretboards, and it is PURE lemon oil, no solvent. I'm sure the stuff you got with the Gibson kit is OK to use. When I was working at Ovation many years ago, Ovation recommended linseed oil. Now they recommend mineral oil. My opinion? They are all good. (And right now what I am using is an orange scented oil that I got as a freebie when I ordered a bunch of SIT strings for my store. It does a great job and it smells good.)
I think you're right that almost any oil made for wood is OK. If this is the Fret Doctor you're talking about, they hype the product but are careful not to say what it's made from: http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm It might be great, but who knows what's in it? I see from a Google search that you can buy food-grade pure lemon oil.

I like to use a citrus-smelling product like Goo-Gone or Goof-Off to clean metal parts. Seems to be safe for most finishes, but take care.

-Steve W.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)