The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Stop Your Guitar From Falling Out Of The Case.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

slx5c
Posted 2010-04-16 2:34 AM (#3616)
Subject: Stop Your Guitar From Falling Out Of The Case.

This is a cheap way to stop yourself from picking up an unlocked case, and spilling out your guitar on the floor. I am assuming that you have already purchased guitar strap locks for when your wearing your guitar. Locks cost about $20.00 USA and work well with a cheap strap that has the leather end holding principles, and they prevent the strap from coming loose and dropping the guitar. I am also assuming that you have already purchased a guitar stand; my preference is to stay away from wall hangers, and having actual stands that are on the floor, and have a strapping in method on the stand which holds the guitar in; such as, the ULTIMATE GENESIS GUITAR STAND GS-200 does.

Here are the Items that you need, and stick to exactly the items mentioned, and do not be talked into getting a different brand, or a different type of item.

ITEM LIST:

1. ShoeGOO. It is about $4.00 USA for a large tube and it can be found at your grocery store, hardware store, or get it online. It is the strongest glue I have ever used, and I have tried from super glues to welds. This glue gives you setting time to come back in a few minutes with wet hands and mold it like bubble gum. It will set over night and continue to gain in strength, and the odor will leave in about 3 days.

2. Two inch Industrial Strength Velcro. About $12.00 USA, and again at a Hardware store, or online, but make sure it is Industrial Strength.

3. Elmer’s glue.

4. Scissors.

Separate the Velcro; one strip will be spiky and one strip will be soft.
Take the spiky and lay it on the floor where the spiky is on the floor, and the pull off plastic strip is facing you on top. Carefully pull of the strip, and DO NOT let the sticky touch itself, or it is stuck for good. Now, pour the Elmer’s glue along the sticky side; when the Elmer’s glue dries it destroys the sticky on the Velcro strip itself which is what we want; we are not talking about the spiky side, but the pull off plastic side which leaves a very sticky surface exposed.

Lay your closed guitar case flat horizontally on the floor as though you are about to open the case, but do not open it. Now, come down about 12 inches from the top end, and place the SOFT Velcro on the flat side of your case that is facing up; now, pretend that you have strapped up, and look to see to make sure that you are not going to cover up Buckle Locks, and that you are not going to cover up the little feet that keeps the case from actually touching the floor; now you measure 3 to 4 inches of the Soft Velcro that is going to be glued only for the flat side of the case that is facing up, and cut with scissors. Now go about 10 inches from the bottom; pretend that you have strapped up, and look to see to make sure that you are not going to cover up Buckle Locks, and that you are not going to cover up the little feet that keeps the case from actually touching the floor; now you measure 3 to 4 inches of the Soft Velcro that is going to be glued only for the flat side of the case that is facing up, and cut with scissors. Pull off the Plastic Strips of your 3 to 4 inch pieces that you measured and cut, and put the ShoeGOO on the Sticky side of the Velcro, and glue to your location that you picked on the flat side of your case that is facing up. Do not go without using the ShoeGOO because this is a stronger glue than what they put on the Velcro. Come back in about three minutes with wet hands, and mold any excess glue that way you want, and continue to press down from time to time, and let this set overnight. If, in the future, you want to glue those little feet on your case; this glue will absolutely work, but do it after all the straps have been completed.

The next day you take the Velcro that is Spiky and velcro it to the Soft which is now permanently on the flat side of the case. Now, you pick up you case, and place it Vertically on its side, and fashion the Spiky strap as you would like it to be. The Elmer’s glue side which destroyed the sticky of the Spiky Velcro will be facing you; this stops it from collecting dirt, and sticking on everything because we have it facing the outside. After fashioning the Spiky Velcro, it should be about 15 inches long; so just cut with scissors, and ShoeGOO the strap to the other flat side of the case. DO NOT GLUE THE STRAPS ALONG THE SIDE OF THE CASE, and the reason for this is that when the velcro is not fastened, it lays flat on the floor which lets you know that the case is NOT PROPERLY FASTENED.

Now when your in a hurry, and you put your guitar in the case, and you walk off somewhere, and hurry back to go, and you grab your guitar case, the straps will be unstrapped, and they will be in your face laying on the floor; even if you strap the Industrial Velcro together, and still forget to Buckle Lock, or Zip up your case, the guitar will not fall out. In dark environments White Industrial Velcro may be easier to see than Black Velcro; however, White Fingernail Polish at the ends of the Velcro may also catch the eye that the straps are open, and on the floor. This Velcro Method also keeps the guitar case in a more closed position so that a Humidifier is more efficient. If you do not have a Humidifier; such as The Planet Waves Humidifier, you Must get one for your guitar at a Music Shop, or online, and they cost $10.00 to $20.00 dollars USA.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-16 2:46 AM (#3617 - in reply to #3616)
Subject: Re: Stop Your Guitar From Falling Out Of The Case.

Originally posted by slx5c:
my preference is to stay away from wall hangers,
Why?
slx5c
Posted 2010-04-16 2:56 AM (#3618 - in reply to #3616)

I just do not like wall hangers because they have a higher risk factor compared to something that is grounded, and has a less distance to fall.
Waskel
Posted 2010-04-16 7:53 AM (#3619 - in reply to #3616)

WoW. Just how many times have you dumped a guitar out of an unlatched case?
MWoody
Posted 2010-04-16 8:43 AM (#3620 - in reply to #3616)

Me?
Only once...

Thank you for a thoughtful contribution.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-04-16 8:49 AM (#3621 - in reply to #3616)

AH, not sure I agree about the hanger thing. Never tripped over a hanging guitar or had a dog/child knock into one. But to each their own.
G8r
Posted 2010-04-16 9:47 AM (#3622 - in reply to #3616)

Hercules.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-04-16 9:49 AM (#3623 - in reply to #3616)

Never had a guitar fall off a wall hanger. I have had guitars on stands knocked over. Never had a guitar case open on me. I check the latches before picking up a case, and either carry the case with the lid towards me, or if not, put a finger from the hand holding the case over the top of the lid.

No problems.....
schroeder
Posted 2010-04-16 9:56 AM (#3624 - in reply to #3616)

Welcome.

That is the most bizarre post I ever read on this forum and we have had our fair share of insanities.

I think you posted 15 days late. I love the white industrial velcro for dark environments. Which colour should I use if I play in daylight AND dark rooms?

You are going to be a real added attraction here.
stephent28
Posted 2010-04-16 10:05 AM (#3625 - in reply to #3616)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
put a finger from the hand holding the case over the top of the lid.
Works like a charm
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-04-16 10:18 AM (#3626 - in reply to #3616)

but then how do you keep it from sliding off your lap?
schroeder
Posted 2010-04-16 10:28 AM (#3627 - in reply to #3616)

Why would you have the case on your lap?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-04-16 10:51 AM (#3628 - in reply to #3616)

Originally posted by schroeder:
Why would you have the case on your lap?
So I can put fingernail polish on my velcro, silly.
Darkbar
Posted 2010-04-16 10:59 AM (#3629 - in reply to #3616)

I followed the instructions exactly, except I used an Exacto knife instead of scissors....sure enough, my guitar fell out of the case and cracked the headstock. When will I ever learn?
Grif
Posted 2010-04-16 11:01 AM (#3630 - in reply to #3616)

Don't worry slx5c, this is how they act when they like someone. Stick around, it'll get worse.

A in-depth description like yours deserves photos.
Beal
Posted 2010-04-16 2:45 PM (#3631 - in reply to #3616)

I'll take guitar adjustments for $400 Alex
Beal
Posted 2010-04-16 3:16 PM (#3632 - in reply to #3616)

Make that guitar questions no one asked for $600, I'm feeling lucky Alex.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2010-04-16 3:42 PM (#3633 - in reply to #3616)

This happened only one time to me.

I had my '82 Tobacco Sunburst Custom Legend 12String in a camping pavillion. Picked up the case to go and the guitar fell out face-down onto the GRAVEL. It didn't fall straight down...it sort of slid across the gravel.

This has NEVER happened again.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2010-04-16 5:13 PM (#3634 - in reply to #3616)

Never had a guitar fall off the wall, especially with Hercules hangers ( shameless plug ).

Had several fall or been knocked off stands over the years, never dumped one out of a case...

Someone told me early on to NEVER leave a case unlocked. I always latch at least a couple of latches even if the case is empty. Once in the habit.. no chance of it ever falling out.
Your mileage may vary.
alpep
Posted 2010-04-16 7:34 PM (#3635 - in reply to #3616)

I found this method to be priceless

always hook one latch
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-04-16 7:48 PM (#3636 - in reply to #3616)

I have a habit of always keeping my cases latched, whether there is a guitar in there or not. All of my guitars live on Hercules hangers. Not a single one has ever fallen out of it's case. But I can see how it could happen if you're not real savvy when it comes to handling guitars.

What kind of Elmer's glue? They make like a hundred different kinds. So many, in fact, that they have a GlueGuide iPhone app so you can use the right one for the right job. But it doesn't tell me which one to use to for the guitar case solution.
stephent28
Posted 2010-04-16 8:06 PM (#3637 - in reply to #3616)

Dance like nobody's watching
Waskel
Posted 2010-04-16 9:03 PM (#3638 - in reply to #3616)

Watch like nobody's dancing.
Beal
Posted 2010-04-16 9:23 PM (#3639 - in reply to #3616)

I leave mine on the couch or in a stand. That way there's no worry about falling out of a case, and when I go downtown I leave the case at home and use a gig bag.
Waskel
Posted 2010-04-16 9:32 PM (#3640 - in reply to #3616)

Why does this sound familiar?
... AW, yes...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)