The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
CC57 electronics question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

JTA_AUSTEX
Posted 2010-05-16 12:43 PM (#3414)
Subject: CC57 electronics question

Hi folks. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.
I have a Korean CC57 (shallow bowl) that I bought new longer ago than I care to remember, although given the model it was almost certainly in the mid-eighties. It is no thing of beauty--the finish on the body is cracked, and one of the "wings" on the headstock got knocked off a while back. However, the action is great, the frets are good, it sounds good unplugged, and I'm very fond of it for sentimental reasons. I have mainly played it acoustically, but I'm doing more electric these days and I recently tried plugging it in for the first time in a long time. It has terrible ground noise, which I don't remember from before.

The guitar is entirely passive, which as best as I can tell is unusual (other CC57's I see on Craigslist, etc. all have on-board preamps). It has an undersaddle piezo that connects directly to undersized 500k volume and tone pots contained in a pot metal case, then to the output (similar to the way a 1 pickup electric like a Les Paul Jr is wired).

The ground moan is loud but gets much louder (think banshee) if I touch the pot or the metal case the pots are in, which makes me think I may have a ground loop, but I'm not sure where it could have come from. Could I have a failing component (pot, cap)? Would it do any good to rewire w/ new pots? Is it simply the absence of a pre-amp? Did I just not notice before (hard to believe, but given that the no-preamp design seems to have gone away almost immediately, it probably isn't the best circuit in the first place)? I have moved around and used different amps plugged in in different parts of the house, and it doesn't happen with other guitars, so if it is a ground loop it's in the guitar and not in the overall system--or at least that's my belief. Could the flaw be in the piezo itself?

A lot of questions, I realize. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JTA_AUSTEX
Posted 2010-05-16 1:09 PM (#3415 - in reply to #3414)
Subject: Re: CC57 electronics question

Mea Culpa. Further websurfing suggests that the preamp version is actually the CC057, and that the CC57 was made for several years.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-05-16 1:31 PM (#3416 - in reply to #3414)
Subject: Re: CC57 electronics question

Welcome!

I owned one of those CC57's.
Great slim body, never needs batteries... mine played correctly.
In a buy/sell frenzy I bought it for $111 and sold it for $112.
That is another one that I shoulda kept.

I know absolutely nothing about electronics, but more electrically-savvy people will be along shortly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)