The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Newby Question.. Mulit-Soundhole VRS Traditonal..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

weighnkiesz
Posted 2010-06-03 5:36 PM (#3314)
Subject: Newby Question.. Mulit-Soundhole VRS Traditonal..

Greeting from (the not totally 'cowtown') Sacramento! I use Music as therapy in social work. Once measured the collective area of a non-cutaway multi-soundhole and it closely matches (if not beats) area of Sweet Spot Soundhole. Not saying they produce as big a voice, but IMO comes close (and looks so fantastic!). Glad to join OFC!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2010-06-04 8:54 AM (#3315 - in reply to #3314)
Subject: Re: Newby Question.. Mulit-Soundhole VRS Traditonal..

Welcome Wayne(?),

The size of the opening on an instrument was formulated by some Heimholtz person and the ratio of area fits the groove.
I prefer the multi-hole myself.
bvince
Posted 2010-06-04 10:23 AM (#3316 - in reply to #3314)

I've played lots of both, and to ME ... the multi-hole configuration is noticeably louder and clearer. We've had a lot of discussion on this board on the subject, with lots of varying opinions. There have also been some nice technical threads concerning sound hole size. To me round hole Ovations sound nice, but the multi-holes sound better. It could be that the multi-hole configuration is closer to the player's ear, so he/she gets a more concentrated dose of sound. Both types project more due to the round back. Also, the deeper the bowl the better projection and volume of sound.
weighnkiesz
Posted 2010-06-04 8:56 PM (#3317 - in reply to #3314)

Thanks! I was a bit afraid to say multi soundholes seem just as loud because I've only played the cutaway version. My 30 yr old deep bowl traditional soundhole actually does sound a bit louder maybe only because the solid sitka top has totally opened up.
muzza
Posted 2010-06-07 6:17 AM (#3318 - in reply to #3314)

There are so many other variations, not just the number of holes.

Contrary to Vince's comment above, some say that the single soundhole allegedly sounds 'better' (totally subjective comparative adjective) to the player, but if you give either guitar (identical in every other way except the number of soundholes) to someone ELSE to play and you sit in front, the difference isn't so pronounced. There is no answer to the question, but I think I'm in the slight minority as I feel more of the active members prefer the Elites. Vanilla or Chocolate? Mac or PC? We're all different and doesn't that make the world a much more interesting place?

I recently sold my one and only Elite (multihole) as I prefer the traditional single hole look. And Macs rule. Vanilla or Chocolate? CARAMEL!
muzza
Posted 2010-06-07 6:18 AM (#3319 - in reply to #3314)

Contrary wasn't the word I wanted to use. Couldn't think of the right one. Sorry if that comment sounded confrontational Vince.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)