The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hi! Bought the guitar. Ovation or fake?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Zoom
Posted 2010-07-02 6:00 PM (#3207)
Subject: Hi! Bought the guitar. Ovation or fake?

Hi!

Please, help me identify the guitar. First of all, even if it's fake I'm not disappointed because I got it for pretty decent price :)

I can't find any info about it or pics of this model. 12th fret inlay says it's 30th anniversary (so it should be made in 1996), but the sticker says "1751 Standard Balladeer" which stands for 12-strings. Moreover, serial number is 557742 signifying the 2001 year of production. :confused: The other thing that proves that this is really the 30th anniversary model is its preamp which looks pretty legit and according to some manuals it was really used during the '96.
I'm a bit confused :p

Overall, it's a great guitar, plays well, neck is very nice, profile feels like some thin V (sorry for strat term), tuners are smooth, preamp is very tweakable and has no noise issues.

Here are the pics:

Top of the page Bottom of the page
bauerhillboy
Posted 2010-07-02 7:58 PM (#3208 - in reply to #3207)
Subject: Re: Hi! Bought the guitar. Ovation or fake?

Welcome Zoom : )

I have a feeling this is a Celebrity. The tuners are nice looking, but the screw on the bottom instead of at an angle tells me they're the lower-end Pings used on the imports (as opposed to the better Pings on US-made models.
Also, it looks like a 1-pc. neck. All the US models had 2 or 5 pc. necks. Look closely and see if there's a seam in the center of the neck where the 2 pieces were joined together. If it's a 1 pc. it's a dead giveaway.
Finally, take a mirror and a light and look UNDER the plastic rosette at the edge of the wood top. My bet is it's a 3 pc laminated top which would mean a Celebrity.

All that said, It is a VERY nice looking guitar and if you enjoy the sound and playability that's what you need. Very nice finish and flame on that top!

John <>{
marenostrum
Posted 2010-07-03 4:08 AM (#3209 - in reply to #3207)

If you take a look at the battery cover you (un)clearly read "Celebrity". It's a very nice model. Congrats !!
Riccardo
Zoom
Posted 2010-07-03 6:36 AM (#3210 - in reply to #3207)

Oh, really! :) How could I miss that label?

Anyway, the neck is multipiece.
Also, I guess the rosette was glued on later.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)