The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Swapping out VIP Preamp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Matt_B
Posted 2010-07-05 11:45 AM (#3202)
Subject: Swapping out VIP Preamp

I just received an brand new Adamas W598 which has a VIP Preamp which for that guitar (12 string) isn't going to work out great for me. Considering it's a 12 string, I invariably spend more time tuning just because it has twice as many strings as normal and as such, I do not want to mess with the dummy plug.

What I would like to do is either swap preamps with my W597 (which has an OP-50) or see if Ovation will sell me/swap the VIP for another preamp that doesn't need a dummy plug for the tuner. To be blunt, if I knew the W598 came with the VIP, I would have given pause. While I like the concept of it, I don't need any of the features it has (I've got an Axe-FX which I can use for acoustic modeling) and I don't want to mess with the tuner's dummy plug requirement.

My W597 is an '07 and I've verified that the preamps won't just swap between the guitars because the contacts are different.

That said, does anyone know if I can swap the cans between the guitars so I can swap the preamp modules? My W597 has the XLR out so I believe all the connections from the 2 preamps will be the same.

Thank you for your time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-07-05 12:15 PM (#3203 - in reply to #3202)
Subject: Re: Swapping out VIP Preamp

I don't think you need to swap the can, just swap the preamp. Even if you do have to swap the can it's pretty easy to do.

I doubt Ovation will swap your preamp for you. What would they do with a slightly used VIP. Bet bet is to make a post here in the For Sale section offering to trade someone the VIP for something else they might have.

I've got to admit, the dummy plug thing is one of the stupidest ideas that Ovation ever came up with. A simple on/off button the the preamp would have been far easier to live with.
Matt_B
Posted 2010-07-05 1:01 PM (#3204 - in reply to #3202)
Subject: Re: Swapping out VIP Preamp

Thank you for the reply.

The two preamps DO NOT have the same contacts. The VIP is 2 rows of 4 contacts and the OP-50 is 2 offsets rows of 3. They don't look like they will work and from what I have read here, they will not work.

I've read up here on swapping on the cans and agree that it looks easy to do. Well within my technical grasp. ;)

As far as Ovation swapping the VIP for something else, I received the guitar on Friday, July 2nd so I think it's worth my effort to at least ask them. I worked in music retail for 12 yrs and during that time sold a lot of their guitars so I know what they can do if they really want to. The worst they will say is no. If that doesn't work, I still have other options. I'm still willing to try the VIP in my W597.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)