The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello everyone

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-07-09 8:44 PM (#3144)
Subject: Hello everyone

Hi fellow Ovation fans, my name's Rob. I'm glad I finally found a group of people that know more about Ovation than just their acoustics! I've been playing guitar for almost 6 years now, started back in high school, and I'm happy to say I have finally acquired my dream guitar- a 1271 Ovation Viper #E 8976. It's all original and plays and sounds better than any guitar I've encounter.

I think I need to adjust the low E & A string saddles, maybe just the Low E (I've got some occasional buzzing when I play an open E). The A string, and especially my low E are a bit looser than I like, which make them a bit too bassy. Maybe putting heavier gauge strings will solve the problem though? They came with some pretty light gauge, 11s if I had to guess, and I don't like the sound of those anyway.

There is one other thing, does anyone know where I could find a silver Ovation logo that goes on the back of the tuner? I'm missing one on my Viper. I'd be very grateful for any tips, thanks.

I think my case isn't the original Viper case, anyone else think it looks like a Preacher case, or am I wrong?

I'd like to stick around and post more, my interest in Ovation guitars isn't limited to just my Ovation Viper (but I'll admit I'm mostly fascinated in their electric models from the 60s/70s). In fact, I'm still hunting for an Ovation Preacher, Ovation Viper III, and Magnum Bass I (I just love the look and sound of these particular models). I know you guys have heard it all before, but could anyone explain to me some of the differences between the Preacher and Preacher Deluxe. I'm assuming there is more difference between them just a different pick guard and quantity of input jacks?

I hope you don't mind my long winded entrance, there is just so much to talk about when it comes to Ovation guitars. :)

A picture of my Viper, and the tuner situation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2010-07-09 9:02 PM (#3145 - in reply to #3144)
Subject: Re: Hello everyone

Sounds like you belong here. Welcome.
ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-07-09 10:16 PM (#3146 - in reply to #3144)

Hi Waskel, thanks for the welcome.
ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-07-25 11:06 PM (#3147 - in reply to #3144)

Sorry to double post, but I've got another question on my mind. I was doing some reading, and it seems Ovation Vipers can be hard to date? I assumed because of my Serial #8976 my Ovation Viper was from '73-'75, but I read that since the pickup switch is under the volume & tone knobs it's from a later period. That doesn't make much sense to me. The only thing I can guess is my guitar is from 1975 as it has a plastic bridge & E + 4 digit serial #. So confusing. Also, anyone have a spare metal Ovation logo for the back of the tuners? Thanks.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-07-25 11:31 PM (#3148 - in reply to #3144)

SF, it probably is about a '75. The original position for the selector switch only last a couple of years

As to the tuner cover, you may be better off just looking to either find a complete replacement tuner or replace all the tuners. I've never seen just the cover before.

Nice guitar by the way, and welcome....
MWoody
Posted 2010-07-26 9:07 AM (#3149 - in reply to #3144)

I may have a couple of volunteers for your crew?

Dale Lutes
Posted 2010-07-26 9:24 AM (#3150 - in reply to #3144)

Hey Woody. I'm looking at the pirates underneath the tuners in your photo. I know it's a cutlass, but my first impression was that the one on the right is holding a guitar. Are ye any good with Photoshop matey?
MWoody
Posted 2010-07-26 10:31 AM (#3151 - in reply to #3144)

Avast ya scurvy dog!

That is a 1911 issue of Treasure Island with the illustrations by N.C. Weyeth. Tis my goal to set a firm foundation of knowledge and adventure in the mind of my Grandson.
In a few months I should be dressing like a Buccaneer and carrying a 12 string in support of our CFC Campaign.
ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-07-26 11:01 AM (#3152 - in reply to #3144)

Thanks MWoody, I appreciate the thoughtful response. I'm actually glad I acquired a Viper with the later switch, it's more player friendly. I also heard some early models had wood knobs?

How much would you charge for one of those tuners? I really don't want to replace the whole tuner, maybe I can find a way to switch out the covers. I need to take it to a shop and get it set up/cleaned anyway, so I could always see get it done there if I do have to replace the tuner.

Thanks, it's nice a lovely guitar. It has a couple of nicks around where the neck meets the fretboard, more towards the fretboard on a couple frets towards the body + some finish level marks but nothing else. I love it, it's the best guitar I'm likely to ever have. :)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2010-07-26 12:35 PM (#3153 - in reply to #3144)

My Viper has wear too, but you're right... it's a dream to play. Welcome!
MWoody
Posted 2010-07-26 2:10 PM (#3154 - in reply to #3144)

Pm me your shipping address and for $5 I'll ship the broken ones to you. Your Tech can exchange the covers.

The Unbroken Schaller M6Ns like that are getting harder to find and a new set can go over $100 depending.
ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-07-27 1:25 AM (#3155 - in reply to #3144)

Yeah, it's definitely a fine guitar, thanks! Thanks MWoody, I really appreciate it. Yeah, Ovation electric related stuff seems to really be soaring lately. I only wish it was because it was getting the attention it deserved, but it seems to be collectors. Maybe, who knows, at least people are learning about them I hope.
ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-08-24 8:20 PM (#3156 - in reply to #3144)

Hey MWoody, do you still have those tuners??

Oh, I picked up my Ovation Viper III today, I really love it. It has some rust on it, around a tuner or two, the input, and on the top part of the pickup polls. Does anyone know a good way to remove the rust? I'm planning on taking both of my Vipers in for a guitar setup/cleaning in a month or so anyway.
PEZ
Posted 2010-08-25 4:51 PM (#3157 - in reply to #3144)

Welcome
MWoody
Posted 2010-08-25 10:53 PM (#3158 - in reply to #3144)

Doh!

It took me a bit to find this post again. Bad cold and a head fulla mush, ya, that's my story...

SF, I'll ship a couple of Donors out to you by the weekend.
My bad...
ScienceFriction
Posted 2010-08-26 11:01 AM (#3159 - in reply to #3144)

No problem, don't worry about it. I can still send you $5 if you like.

Should my Viper III sound much different than my Viper? I think my Viper III needs some attention, but I just don't know what.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)