The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Just getting started

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Bolero
Posted 2010-07-28 12:34 PM (#3084)
Subject: Just getting started

I have wanted to learn to play the guitar for ever. Fortunately I mentioned that to a buddy and he promptly handed me his Ovation 1122-4 and said "have at it". He even include a stand, tuner, pick and chord book.

So I have started working through some online lessons and reading up on guitars while I rest me fingers.

One of my first question is strings. I have read though the forum and the personal nature of strings and will probably through a dart to select between the Adamas, Elixir, D'Addario, Dean Markley etc that have been recommended. But I am a bit puzzled since my buddies Ovation looks to be strung with 3 steel strings and 3 nylon strings. Was this normal back in the day, or some evolution that happen to this particular guitar?

The second question is about action. I measured at the 12th fret and found between 11/64 and 12/64. Is that about right for this guitar?

Any way I just trying to figure some things out as I work by way up the steep part of the learning curve.

Cheers and Thanks,
Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2010-07-28 2:10 PM (#3085 - in reply to #3084)
Subject: Re: Just getting started

Welcome to the OFC, Bill. Congrats on getting to learn on such a nice guitar (and for having such a good "buddy").

If your guitar looks like this:

it's a Classic Balladeer - A nylon string classical-style guitar. What you're perceiving as 'steel' strings are probably the windings on the lower strings. DO NOT put a set of steel strings on this guitar, it's not built for that kind of tension!

The factory sends classicals out with Adamas 4444 on them... might be a good place to start. LaBella also makes a good nylon, and I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.
As far as string height... not sure on nylon. I just set it where it plays well for me.
Bolero
Posted 2010-07-28 3:00 PM (#3086 - in reply to #3084)

Thanks so much for the quick answer and the string guidance. And don't worry, since my knowledge is somewhere between less than nothing and nothing I won't be doing anything until I have checked and recheck.

And yes the guitar looks just like that.

Is this what you meant by the coating on the nylon strings?

And yes it is great to have a bud with a nice guitar lying around. He never took to playing it so it was just decoration in his house. We will have to see how I fair.

Cheers,
Bill
fillhixx
Posted 2010-08-01 10:29 PM (#3087 - in reply to #3084)

Yup, it's a Classical. Be easier on the fingers to start with too.

Your first important lessons will involve learning to string it well so the strings don't slip, which makes it impossible to keep in tune.

Here's a video

If you're more into graphics than video here\'s similar info presented different.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)