The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Ovation Custom Legend 2079LX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Dan 43
Posted 2010-08-02 4:55 PM (#3040)
Subject: New Ovation Custom Legend 2079LX

I am new to this forum, but have been an Ovation player for over 25 years. I just recently purchased a new Custom Legend 2079LX. Overall, the guitar is great and I got a very good deal on it. However, when I first played it I noticed the action was a bit high at the 12th fret. It was reading between 4/32" and 5/32" for the low E and between 3/32 and 4/32" for the high E. The neck relief seems to be fine so I removed one shim, which still did not get it to factory specs. I removed another shim, which put it between 3/32" and 4/32" on the low E and around 3/32" for the high. I could remove the last shim to get closer to factory specs. However, on a brand new guitar it seems excessive that I should have to remove all the shims to get to the factory specs. Also, I would not have any room for adjustments in the future. My concern then went to the neck angle. When I laid a straight edge down on the fret board it seems to hit about 1/16" below the bridge. To give some contrast, my 25 yr old Ovation hits right on top of the bridge, right where it should be.
My question is should this be a concern? I have heard some rumors that certain Ovations may not be made anymore in the US. While the guitar plays ok now, it may need to have the neck angle reset at a future date. I am concerned that service won't be available at that time if models are not being made in the US.
One other thing I thought of was the effect of humidity. Being that it could make the top to swell, thereby increasing the action, that could be the cause and not the neck angle. I have had the guitar for a week and it has not left my house, which is air conditioned, but I don't know the conditions the guitar was in prior to my purchase. Any info would be helpful...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dan 43
Posted 2010-08-05 11:03 AM (#3041 - in reply to #3040)
Subject: Re: New Ovation Custom Legend 2079LX

I live in CT so I am taking a ride up to the factory tomorrow to have this looked at.

Can I also get full access to the site?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)