The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New member - 1869 Custom Legend

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

lmac
Posted 2010-09-09 12:05 PM (#2906)
Subject: New member - 1869 Custom Legend

Hello everybody. I'm a new Ovation owner. I have come from the old days of guitars. I own Martin, Fender, Yamaha...etc. I think you get the picture. While I have no complaints about the old guitars, I wished I would have bought an Ovation sooner.
Somewhere in the back of my memory, I believe I first heard about Ovation in the mid 70's when a friend of mine invited me to purchase a new type of electric/Acoustic guitar he had. He needed the money, of course I said no. AH...the foolish things we do in our youth. About 6 years ago my son wanted to learn how to play and I bought him his first guitar. It was an Ovation. I don't know what model, but he loved it. Still has it. So it was now dads turn to buy Ovation and I picked an 1869 Custom Legend. A few years ago I had tried an 1867 Legend but did not purchase. Mistake!! I heard the 1867 Lgend was no longer available and the 1869 Custom Legend was being retired. So I went down to the local music shop and found they had an 1869 Custom Legend and I made the purchase. I'm very happy so far with my purchase. Now the questions.
Other than the info on the Ovation website how can I date the guitar I purchased? Is there anything I need to know about the care of this guitar? Is there a special wax I need to use? Do I have to be careful of the cleaning solutions I use on the bowl? Any info would be greatly apperciated. Thank You
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-09-09 12:19 PM (#2907 - in reply to #2906)
Subject: Re: New member - 1869 Custom Legend

Welcome to the board. It's a good place to hang out.

As to your questions, there should be a serial number either on the back of the headstock or on a label up inside the bowl by the neck block (the former would be for a more recent guitar, say in the last 20 years, the later for an earlier guitar). With that serial number you can go to the reference section on this board and get a fair idea of how old your guitar is.

Also, the type of preamp in it will help with the dating of the guitar. Any pictures?
lmac
Posted 2010-09-11 4:10 PM (#2908 - in reply to #2906)

No pictures yet. Thanks for the info. The preamp is OP50. The serial number was on the back of the headstock so I guess I can now find out its age. Once again Thanks for the help
G8r
Posted 2010-09-13 10:52 PM (#2909 - in reply to #2906)

Welcome. That's a nice guitar, I used to have one. Great for standing-up plugged-in play because of the shallow bowl.

No need to wax anything, care and feeding instructions can be found in the FAQ . The bowl is an injection molded thermoplastic that's pretty impervious to any solvents you might get your hands on. Plain old soap and water should clean off most grunge. Mineral spirits will take care of residues from stickers or decals.
bvince
Posted 2010-09-16 8:43 AM (#2910 - in reply to #2906)

Welcome Imac,

That was a nice choice of guitar. I had the 1869 once in black. I believe that is one of the most attractive guitars they've ever made, and for a medium bowl depth, they project very well and are easy to hold standing up. Great Guitar! ... If you haven't already done so, you'll probably now need to familiarize with the term GAS (Guitar Aquisition Syndrome)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)