The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Playing was easier before ...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-08-18 2:38 PM (#85583)
Subject: Playing was easier before ...

Over the past two years I've become gradually more determined to improve my playing technique and my musical knowledge. Before that I played more or less the same rythm figures over the same basic cowboy chords and E an A barres, occasionally learned a new song, but played just as bad (or good?!?) as before. I stayed in the familiar territory, which was rather easy to do, made some half-hearted attempts to learn some more advanced playing, but felt like I'd hit the limits of my abilities.

Now I'm practicing more and more systematically, and keep on working on details until I can play it right, and am making progress, although not fast. Still I feel like I'm less able to play now than before, because my goals and ambitions are higher, and such damned equipment like the metronome tells me how bad my timing really is. The reward should be (and indeed is) in the feeling of mastering new and more difficult licks and tunes, but I can't help thinking that it may not be worth the effort sometimes, especially if I've had some bad days, when bad mood or tiredness make my playing (or my impression of it) bad.

It's easy to conclude that I'm just a fool to believe that I can become a decent guitar player at 43, and that my talent is so poor that I never can reach my goal. I really need to keep some recordings of my playing and improvement along the way to drive these thoughts away.

Anyone else round here that sometimes long back to good old days when things were easy? ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2007-08-18 2:49 PM (#85584 - in reply to #85583)
Subject: Re: Playing was easier before ...

At 43 you should be able to still do anything. It's when you get to be 55 that things stop.

It's the old story, the higher your goals the harder and longer it is to reach them. The more you learn the more you realize how much more you need to learn to get back to where you think you were when you started. Just keep at it, that's all there is. From time to time you can look backwards and see how far you've come and it will suprise you, the good progress. Then it's back to the grind.

Recordings are good to track your progress. Try some of the online lessone, www.workshoplive.com is one and truefire is another.

Break the goals down into bite size pieces, it makes them easier to achieve. Of course once you have one it's on to the next, but it's a pretty positive way to go about it.

Good Luck with it all, it is worth it, at least till when you get to 55 and then everything gives out!
HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-08-18 2:54 PM (#85585 - in reply to #85583)

Forgot to mention that I'm going to attend a workshop with Ernie Hawkins in Stockholm in the end of September. I really hope (and believe) that will be good inspiration and motivation for keeping up the practise
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-08-18 3:17 PM (#85586 - in reply to #85583)

I don't know about "long back to good old days when things were easy?" but I sure understand your frustration.

Unfortunately there is a physical aspect to playing guitar involving stamina and dexterity and that part gets weak quicker than it can be built up.

My frustration is not only not being able to play as good as would like to, but not being able to play as well as I used to. I never considered myself a great guitarist, but I was pretty good. When in the Navy (80's) I played a lot, on a lot of great stages around the world with a lot of great musicians that made me sound good. In the late 80's and early 90's I played my (or my bands) original tunes almost exclusively, but then life started to get in the way.

The last time I got somewhat serious about playing (which is probably the wrong attitude) it took me about two months of playing every day to get to about 1/2 of what I was in the 80's.

These days, of the songs I wrote and performed a few 100 times, I'm lucky to be able to play the rhythm part all the way through and remember the words. I have played the old tapes and CD's and it's nothing short of depressing. I few moments of "wow, that was pretty cool" followed by, "I have no idea how to play that anymore, don't even know where to begin."

So Erik, I don't mean to steal your thunder, but enjoy being able to look forward to a goal, achievable or not, and enjoy the pleasure of listening to recordings of your playing and improvement along the way. I envy you.

For me at nearly 50, I choose to run a recording studio and collect guitars.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-08-18 3:33 PM (#85587 - in reply to #85583)

At 43 you should be able to still do anything. It's when you get to be 55 that things stop.
Damn.. 2 more years then I'm good as done.

BrianT, my practice partner, is a better musican than I am. I have achieved some level of "vertical growth" just from that exposure. My guitar playing has gotten better and vocal harmonies are coming easier.
I guess what I'm suggesting is to hang around better muscians and eventually you'll pick up something.
an4340
Posted 2007-08-18 4:31 PM (#85588 - in reply to #85583)

HB,
First of all it was never easy in the old days for me, so I'm not able to share in your problem.
Second, I've found the more times I do something the easier it gets.
Third, if you feel you've reached the edge of your limitations, it might be you're trying to do things that are too complicated.

Solution:
Learn to play things that are slightly more complicated than what you're doing now. If you tell me what was your last learned song, I'll pick out your next one, if I can. At age 43 you can become a decent guitar player. If you keep in mind that presentation of the song is more imporant than technical ability, you'll enjoy it better. This comes from the early rock and roll ethos and punk. You can do it.
Gway
Posted 2007-08-18 4:36 PM (#85589 - in reply to #85583)

aaaahhh... yes, "the good ole days". The mistakes that a good distortion pedal could hide!Now at 50 and unplugged my mistakes stand out more, thankfully my hearing isn't what it use to be! :D
fillhixx
Posted 2007-08-18 5:08 PM (#85590 - in reply to #85583)

"The nearer your destination
The more you're slip-sliding away"
Paul Simon

If it's too easy, it's not worth the effort.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-08-18 5:12 PM (#85591 - in reply to #85583)

You knew Theresa too??
HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-08-18 5:16 PM (#85592 - in reply to #85583)

Originally posted by an4340:
First of all it was never easy in the old days for me, so I'm not able to share in your problem.
Second, I've found the more times I do something the easier it gets.
Third, if you feel you've reached the edge of your limitations, it might be you're trying to do things that are too complicated.
If you keep in mind that presentation of the song is more imporant than technical ability, you'll enjoy it better. This comes from the early rock and roll ethos and punk. You can do it.
Well, what you call rock'n roll/punk ethos is kind of the essence of my philosophy up to the point I decided to improve my playing and knowledge in music. That's something I bear in mind, but I've felt (and still feel) that my limitated playing abilities restricts the way I can express the music I've got inside. For the moment I'm working on adding colurs to my palette and getting finer brushes to add more details and to refine my art.

I'm in a period where I focus on technical exercises, scales etc. and use metronome almost always to control and correct my timing. I know I'm improving, but miss the feeling of being creative. Guess I really need to find someone tho jam with in between.

I really appreciate all the feedback to my post, this really is a great forum for getting by worries and frustrations! :D
Beal
Posted 2007-08-18 6:24 PM (#85593 - in reply to #85583)

Sometimes you just need to do the boring sh!t for a while and then go back to the creative, with better expertise!
fillhixx
Posted 2007-08-18 8:23 PM (#85594 - in reply to #85583)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
You knew......
'ol Peanut Butter Legs? Who didn't?
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2007-08-18 9:16 PM (#85595 - in reply to #85583)

Well, according to Beal's measuring stick I've got about 7 good months left, then. ;)
Actually, I'm finding that I'm working on hanging onto what little skill I do have, let alone getting better. I find that improvement tends to come in fairly small increments now, so when something is different or better I'm pretty happy about it. Most of the last six years I spent a lot of time playing bass, and I know I did improve there--but I have a long way to go on guitar. At least I'm not alone..........

--Karen
Paulcc1
Posted 2007-08-18 10:00 PM (#85596 - in reply to #85583)

Well when I was young I was dumb got into all the wrong things, so guitar playing stood still. In the last ten or so years things improved, last year I wrote and recorded my first song now that was big. I have since then wrote five more songs three of which may have some merit. Am I great no not really all that good, but I love what I do its all about passion. Yesterday I turned 57 :eek: go figure.
Pauly
Designzilla
Posted 2007-08-18 10:16 PM (#85597 - in reply to #85583)

Practice is good, but you have to take some time to play and just have fun too!
Nils
Posted 2007-08-18 10:56 PM (#85598 - in reply to #85583)

I passed 55 almost 5 years ago. Next time it gets cold outside I'll turn 60. I've learned more in the past 5 years than I did in the previous 45. I've forgotten a lot of stuff that I used to play, but most of it I've moved away from anyway. (The 60's surfer sound doesn't really ring my bell anymore.) Any of the old stuff I've forgotten that I want to play I just learn it again. It's always easier the second time anyway.

There are several reasons for my progress, but the OFC has been a one of the main ones. One memorable comment made years ago was that we should all go play with other people regularly. I took that advice & met up with a guy that I've been playing with almost every Thursday night for three or four years. We picked up another guy a few years ago. I've learned from both of them. One is a good guitar player & I've learned a lot from him, the other is a mediocre guitar player but he comes up with some great old songs that I like. Besides, they're both past 75 so I'm the kid of the group. I like that too :)

I never would have met either of them if it hadn't been for the OFC.

A while back when I asked for help here learning "Windy & Warm" several suggestions from OFC members gave me the answers/links I needed. Learning to do that took my guitar playing to a whole new level & it has been more fun than ever. Many gave encouragement & advice, Moody & AdamasPlayer were especially helpful. Thanks again all of you guys!

Finding out about all the Ovations that are out there made me want more guitars & more guitars meant I had to play more to keep from hearing the dreaded "You never play that one, why don't you sell it?" If you get my drift. I don't have any guitars that I don't love for some reason, special quality or something, so I HAD to play more or sell one of my guitars.

So don't think you can't learn after 55 cuz it ain't so!

And thanks again to the entire OFC, this is an inspiring place to hang around.

If your fingers don't hurt you aren't playing enough.
Beggin
Posted 2007-08-18 11:28 PM (#85599 - in reply to #85583)

Imagine trying to relive your teens at 47! Well, I AM trying, but it is frustrating at times. Aquiring O's and A's sure is fun though!

Beats the heck out of some alternatives.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2007-08-19 1:17 AM (#85600 - in reply to #85583)

Oh, You Youngsters,complaining,(exept for Nils)..Get On with It..

Vic

..Open your eyes and see the world..
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-08-19 1:56 AM (#85601 - in reply to #85583)

Beal wrote:
Hey Beal, pardon me; I represent that remark... :D
Just had my son born in January... ;)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

:cool: :rolleyes:
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-08-19 3:37 AM (#85602 - in reply to #85583)

Thanx Nils! But to all the rest of you...
How Old do you THINK you are?
I just turned 50! And I plan on a few more decades!
I know many a Freak who didn't make it this far, but I ain't quitting.
Yes, I feel aches and pains from old war wounds, and just fifty years of abusing my body.
But I ain't goin' for this crap that "I can't do it cuz I'm too old!" "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" and "It was easier back then."
Hindsight is 20/20! (and now I gotta wear bifocals)
But I will continue to persevere and do stuff "Just cuz they say I Can't!"

Yeah, I understand that it is easier to forget stuff than to learn it. (I play real good by Sunday evening, then I go back to work.)
As far as things being easier to learn when I was younger... I was just happy to play a three chord song that people recognized. Now I'm pissed cuz I can't play the intro to Dreamboat Annie.

So HP, just do it the old way. Someone said "learn a new song a week." Find a list, and take the next level of difficulty, and keep-on-keeping-on.

edit-- Oh yeah. A coupla weekends ago, this girl (woman) stuck her head in my door and complimented me on my playing.
That was nice, and good encouragement.
Cuz personally, I think I suck. But that was good for perspective.
I won't let it go to my head! But we do have to keep some perspective. :D
xnoel
Posted 2007-08-19 8:03 AM (#85603 - in reply to #85583)

I'm with Nils. Turned 64 in April. I do get very frustrated. But some of the lessons on youtube really help.
I think one of the problems is that at 64, I realize that there are not that many years ahead. And I am learning some new stuff (new to me). My interest in songs goes from Pancho and Lefty, Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground, Stardust, Wonderful Tonight, Before You Accuse Me, Blues Stay Away From Me, Kingston Trio, Eagles,folk.
But, still, about twice a week, I think, "Why not get rid of all this stuff and quit getting frustrated?"
It helps me to hear that many others have the same problem.
Let's all hang in there. It's worth it in the long run.
muzza
Posted 2007-08-19 9:33 AM (#85604 - in reply to #85583)

Originally posted by HobbyPicker:
Anyone else round here that sometimes long back to good old days when things were easy? ;)
Things might have been easier, but I wasn't necessarily a better player. I've been playing guitar for about 35 years now. I used to think I was a good guitarist in my 20's, but I'm actually a better, more techical guitarist now. And I realised that I WASN'T good in my 20's, just big headed. Yeah, I'm better now, but I still suck.

I know what I need to do to reach the 'next' level, and I'm not willing to put in the requisite effort at this point in time. Other priorities, blah, blah...

You're doin it, and believe it or not, you're progressing. Coz, the more you know, the more you know you don't know.

And if you ever reach your 'goal' ability level, it's time to give up and find a new instrument to learn.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-08-19 5:07 PM (#85605 - in reply to #85583)

Downhill at the age of 43 and
stopped at age 55 ?????..

TELL THAT TO THIS GUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

AGE IS ONLY A LABEL OF TIME

OVER THE HILL AT 50 ???

MICK JAGGER
PETE TOWNSEND
IAN ANDERSON
STEVE HOWE
RINGO STARR
CARLO SANTANA
ROBERT FRIPP
GREG LAKE
BILLY GIBBONS
GWB
GWB
GWB
GWB
GWB.

My wife reminds me all of the time to act my age
AND I RUFUSE TO!!!
STAY YOUNG UPSTAIRS AND YOU WILL STAY YOUNG DOWNSTAIRS.THATS MY STORY & IM STICKING TO IT.GWB
Beal
Posted 2007-08-19 6:03 PM (#85606 - in reply to #85583)

OK 55 ain't old anymore. It just feels it sometimes. I'll quit bitching for another 20 and then look out!
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2007-08-19 6:40 PM (#85607 - in reply to #85583)

My mom had a whole bunch of physical issues over the years, beginning at a fairly young age. But I'll never forget what she told me the year she was 50--it came back to me again just now: "Karen, on the outside I may be going to rack and ruin, but on the inside, I'm not a day over 18!!" Way to go, Mom--she was one classy lady, and her homegoing has left an enormous void in my life....I guess I'd better take a lesson from her, starting now. Thanks, Mom.

--Karen
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)