The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
5869-5P Custom Legend Special???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Dave N
Posted 2010-09-19 11:15 PM (#2870)
Subject: 5869-5P Custom Legend Special???

I bought this guitar new back in 1993 from a dealer who told me it was a display model at that years NAMM. He said it was a "special" model. I liked it so I bought it. I would like to know more about it, i.e. why it was only produced one year; how many were made etc... anything really, about this particular model. Can anyone point me to previous posts or provide information?
Thanks, dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2010-09-20 9:54 AM (#2871 - in reply to #2870)
Subject: Re: 5869-5P Custom Legend Special???

Welcome. Probably not a whole lot of information available. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a slightly more blingy 1869 Custom Legend, with abalone neck binding that extends up onto the peghead, somewhat like a Book Elite? Being a NAMM model, they may not have made a whole lot of them, if any other than the one you have, or if they did they were for the European and/or Asian markets - the "5" as the fist digit would indicate that. The "P" after the -5, which is the color code (black) probably means "Prototype".

Please post pictures if you have them, that might help jog someone's memories.
Dave N
Posted 2010-09-20 1:13 PM (#2872 - in reply to #2870)

Thanks - I'll try to take some pics this evening and get them on.
G8r
Posted 2010-09-20 9:08 PM (#2873 - in reply to #2870)

Originally posted by G8r:
The "P" after the -5, which is the color code (black) probably means "Prototype".
Oops, self-correction here. -5P stands for black pearl finish. I've never seen one of those, looking forward to the pics.
Dave N
Posted 2010-09-20 10:29 PM (#2874 - in reply to #2870)

I wasn't sure how to go about uploading here so I created a temporary gallery at my work site:

Temp Gallery

I hope this works. I was re-stringing the guitar tonight so I have some pics with the strings off. My camera is not that great, and does not capture the great colors in the finish. It is like a mother-of-pearl metalflake finish with lots of different hues. It has a shallow bowl. The neck is somewhat V-shaped which I enjoy playing. I don't know what else to say about it other than it is a great guitar. Until I found this board, I didn't realize it might be somewhat rare.
Dave
musicmenders
Posted 2010-10-11 9:07 PM (#2875 - in reply to #2870)

I'm also the proud owner of a 1992 5869-5P. I was an Ovation dealer at the time and bought mine at a local Kaman/C. Bruno merchandise show. This guitar seems to be what amounts to an early version of the Al Dimeola sans modern electronics. I love this guitar and have found it to be the perfect studio A/E guitar...incredible action and tonality.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)