The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Rosette lifting...need help!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Sunnyboy
Posted 2010-09-20 12:09 PM (#2862)
Subject: Rosette lifting...need help!

Hi everyone,

I'm Brad and new to this forum. I have finally picked up an old vintage Ovation. It's a Legend model 1767 made in 1985. I've always wanted one and this one is a beauty, very solid and near mint condition (including original case). Anyway...I have a problem. I didn't notice this when I was plucking individual strings at the former owner's house but when I got home and strummed, the soundhole started buzzing like crazy...my dreams crushed! I looked it over and it seems that the rosette is lifting away from the soundboard. I hope this is not a difficult fix...I am no luthier. The former owner said that it was his daughter's and that he didn't know the problem existed. He was even kind enough to say that he would pay for the fix.

I guess my questions are: is this fixable? How much would it cost? Has anyone else experienced this? And finally, could any guitar tech fix this?

One more quick question...I paid $280 for this guitar...is that too much??

Thanks for your help,
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2010-09-20 12:39 PM (#2863 - in reply to #2862)
Subject: Re: Rosette lifting...need help!

Welcome. I've had a couple of Ovations about that age, same problem. A little dab of superglue (the thick kind) under the rosette will fix it just fine without damaging the surface finish. Use a toothpick to place the superglue, but if you do get any on the visible surface just clean it off with acetone (nail polish remover).

That is a great price for that guitar.
Sunnyboy
Posted 2010-09-20 12:44 PM (#2864 - in reply to #2862)

Phew...I'm feelin better already. This guitar is such a beauty. I was so bummed out when I heard this buzz. I bought this to use at church and I can't wait to fix it. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Thanks so much for the help!!

One more question...there is a small scratch that goes through to the wood on the soundboard. It's not cracked but just scratched. Is there any way to touch this up? Thanks
G8r
Posted 2010-09-20 1:08 PM (#2865 - in reply to #2862)

Superglue to the rescue, again. Very detailed instructions for filling in a finish crack can be found in the FAQ , about halfway down the page, look for the question: "I bought/inherited/found an old Ovation with what everybody says is a "typical" crack in the top finish. Are Ovations especially prone to such cracks, and is there anything I can do about it?"
Sunnyboy
Posted 2010-09-20 1:10 PM (#2866 - in reply to #2862)

Thank you very much. This is a great forum!!
AussieJames
Posted 2010-09-21 8:26 AM (#2867 - in reply to #2862)

Yeah.......it's the best!!

AJ
Sunnyboy
Posted 2010-09-21 3:33 PM (#2868 - in reply to #2862)

Well, I gave this re-glue my best attempt but I think I'm gonna send it to a professional because I can't afford to get any more super glue on my soundboard...bummer. I hear that acetone works well...hopefully they won't charge me too much for this fix at the Guitar Center...maybe Sam Ash...thanks for all the tips everyone!
G8r
Posted 2010-09-21 6:07 PM (#2869 - in reply to #2862)

Be prepared for a lot of nose-sniffing, lip curling, sneering, and general disrespectful pooh-poohing about your Ovation from the know-nothings at GC or SA. Also be prepared for a hard sell to buy a "real" guitar.

A cotton ball soaked with nail polish remover will clean any stray superglue blobs right up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)