The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Balladeer or Legend?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Igotknobblies
Posted 2010-10-03 12:20 PM (#2781)
Subject: Balladeer or Legend?

Hi, I'm Brand new to this site so a big 'Hello all'.
Hope someone can help: Wifey unbelievably said, life's too short, go and get what you want! Couldn't believe my ears. So what am I looking at? Spent a lot of time surfing the Ovation Tribute site. Lots of pictures etc, but no description (on this site either) of particular models specification. Basically, looked at some Balladeers and interested in one that turns out to be apparently a Legend. Number is 1767 in 'Sunburst'. I think its the 'Glen Campbell' version. So whats better, a Balladeer,Legend, Legend LX, Deluxe etc. Is there a General specification for these anywhere? Current asking price is £350 UK. Seen Std Balladeers go for more than this and its a 1 owner, little played, mint condition with original case. Should I bide my time or go with my gut instinct and have it? Last played one in 1985 (this one wasn't even built then) but so impressed that I've finally given in and the 'Encore' has to go. (No collections for me as I only play one at a time!) Look forward to quick response as little time before I decide.
Cheers! :)
David
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Igotknobblies
Posted 2010-10-03 2:18 PM (#2782 - in reply to #2781)
Subject: Re: Balladeer or Legend?

To add to the above, are there any Ovation or other quality guitar owners/OFC members in the 'Isle of Thanet' East Kent, UK area interested in 'get togethers' over a pint and swap strumming/plucking ideas? Please send me a P.M. if you fit this category.
Many thanks,
David
Igotknobblies
Posted 2010-10-05 6:40 PM (#2783 - in reply to #2781)

I reckon Ebay fever must be nearly as bad as goose fever (if any of you heft shotguns over the marshes you'll know what I mean when you hear that eerie honk of geese flying towards you).
Anyway, one minute to sale end palpitations over, I got it for the opening bid of £350!
120 mile round trip today and its now nestled in my lap, waiting for day break and the kids being up so I can't be accused of waking them. As advertised, it is 'mint'. Nice low action, no fret buzz. One owner from new. Gave me the original receipt from the 'Accoustic centre', Wapping High Street, London. £960 in 1994. Pre amp works a treat and the tone is beautiful, although a new set of strings may be nice as it hasn't been played for a few years! (Previous owner has many guitars). I'll post a piccy or two when I get time. Can anyone tell me actual date of manufacture by serial No? Its 458319. It is a Hartford built 1767 Legend in 'Sunburst'. No reference to Glen Campbell on it but I believe it is 'a Campbell'.
Look forward to replies.
Regards,
David
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-10-05 10:58 PM (#2784 - in reply to #2781)

That guitar was new (sorta) when it was bought in '94.

According to the OFC serial number Reference Guide that guitar was built in '93.

We look forward to pics.
Flash1717Legend
Posted 2010-10-07 11:07 AM (#2785 - in reply to #2781)

If I am following your post accurately, then you obtained a Legend. As having played one for 20 years, they have excellant tone.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-10-07 2:51 PM (#2786 - in reply to #2781)

The Glen Campbell model has a shallow (mid depth) bowl. The 1767 Legend has a deep bowl. Otherwise, they look the same. This Legend is going to sound great. Congrats on picking up a terrific guitar....
jbp
Posted 2010-10-10 3:50 PM (#2787 - in reply to #2781)

I own a Legend 1767 (1991) and it is have been my rock performer for years. Wonderful, wonderful sound, very deep and projects extrememly well. It's a deep bowl and bit heavier than today's models but still looks pristine and have been very durable. I had it an Ovation Road Show a few weeks ago and the Ovation engineers loved it, showed it off and one of them kept talking about the neck. He loved the neck! I also own a VXT, Celebrity AWFB and Custom Legend LX. The VXT is amazing. The best sounding acoustic though is probably the Custom Legend LX I bought about a month ago. The triple A top is amazing; it's a midsize and sounds as good if not better than the 1767 (but they are different guitars). I love the new pre=-amp OP-Pro Studio. Check this all out at ovationguitars.com. The Custom LX, Legend 1767 and VXT are U.S. made.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-10-10 4:26 PM (#2788 - in reply to #2781)

Welcome to the board. Good read about your guitars. Post some pics if you can....
Igotknobblies
Posted 2010-10-23 6:30 AM (#2789 - in reply to #2781)

Photos at last......
Like I said, pristine for a 17 year old guitar. Its dried nicely and shows the grain 'rippling' the top but not so much as to crack the varnish. I've put a set of Elixir phosphor bronze '10's on and she (are guitars female?) sounds fantastic.
PS sorry about first piccy being upside down.
Cheers,
IGK
" target="_blank" title="http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/Igotknobblies/DSC06882.jpg">">http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/Igotknobblies/DSC06882.jpg[...

Michael R. Winters
Posted 2010-10-23 2:22 PM (#2790 - in reply to #2781)

Looks brand new congratulations!
twistedlim
Posted 2010-10-31 8:38 AM (#2791 - in reply to #2781)

(No collections for me as I only play one at a time!)
David [/QB]
Ha! Welcome to the insanity, I have heard that before :)
Igotknobblies
Posted 2010-11-01 10:22 AM (#2792 - in reply to #2781)

I tend to rest my 'pinkie' below the strings to get a datum for picking. Unfortunately, when I strum I make full use of a scratch guard. No such thing on my legend so I fashioned one out of a bit of left over drum veneer (I re-covered my daughter's Internationals) and used 'blu-tack' to hold it in place. Taken it off a couple of times to check its not affecting the laquer. All fine. No perceptible loss of tone iether.
IGK.
AstroDan
Posted 2010-11-01 2:49 PM (#2793 - in reply to #2781)

That is a true beauty! With those nice pics, I thought you were Damon for a minute there!
Very nice indeed.
Igotknobblies
Posted 2010-11-08 6:37 AM (#2794 - in reply to #2781)

Who is Damon?
MWoody
Posted 2010-11-08 8:59 AM (#2795 - in reply to #2781)

RE: Who is Damon?

:D

Member Damon67, Mr. Thomas was born a poor young white boy and forced to learn the family trade of Photography. Later in life he became a Head Hunter and started stalking Dave Matthews.

Occasionally he will use his skills and unfurl his infamous "Red Blanket" to showcase his guitars, literally, in a whole new light.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)