The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
HELP. Identifyimg an early Ovation 6-digit electro/acoustic

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Chad-45
Posted 2023-09-06 5:58 AM (#558577)
Subject: HELP. Identifyimg an early Ovation 6-digit electro/acoustic

This guitar was 'appropriated' from a gig in Edinburgh early 1990s, by some 'gadgies' and sold to me for ?? Next to Nothing, as far as I remember, £20 £50 something like that. I remember buying a slightly fire damaged 3 X CD hi-fi unit for £20 from the same bloke and he always made sure I never 'spoilt the gadgies' and kept a low price. Apparently, the previous owner was 'rather upset' as it was a old rare model...which may be the case.
Disclaimer: I never knew the band, venue or the gadgies who appopriated it....or even the story, until well after.
I had the frets redressed by a pro, as they were worn to dust. Dmaj being an obvious favourite chord.
Check out my introduction post for more guitar info & history. Rather than foolishly trying to describe this, I'll just include some pics.
Any help would be appreciated, I am enjoying the research into Ovation guitars, more depth than I realised, hopefully inspiration to play more.
I haven't quite figured out attaching photo(s?) on here yet, there may be a hyperlink ??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-09-06 10:39 AM (#558579 - in reply to #558577)
Subject: Re: HELP. Identifyimg an early Ovation 6-digit electro/acoustic

I read your first post in the Welcome Center about your family.. and just recently myself finished composing guitar music for a song of Scottish folk style and persuasion.. pertaining to some of the victims of Pan Am Flight 103 back in 1988 Lockerbie.. but still working on lyrics. Much of it is in Dmaj, so maybe I should transfer it to bagpipes so I don't wear out my frets, too!

Anyway.. for including photos in a post.. at the bottom of the this thread page where you type your reply, look just below that text box.. there should be a button "Advanced Reply". Before you type anything, click on that button, and it will take you to a new text box page that gives the option to "attach photo or file after posting". Just check that box before you post your text, and then follow the prompts that come up. At least that's how it works on my configuration and screen (I am using a desktop PC, so I'm not sure if the description I just gave works the same when posting with a phone or other device.)

If you can get that to work it would be helpful to see both the guitar itself, as well as the sticker inside the bowl.

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-09-06 10:48 AM
tpa
Posted 2023-09-06 11:47 AM (#558581 - in reply to #558577)

Welcome. Is your guitar sunburst?
tpa
Posted 2023-09-06 5:36 PM (#558584 - in reply to #558577)

I have seen small white stickers inside the body of Ovation guitars with a 6 digit number which I believe can be a serial number. I don't recall having seen any with two 6 digit numbers. Several models were made with 1 piece neck but only asian made models.
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-09-06 7:14 PM (#558585 - in reply to #558577)

@tpa - >>>Several models were made with 1 piece neck but only asian made models.<<<

I'm not sure about any other models I can't list, but the USA-made Balladeers and Custom Balladeers have one piece necks. At least the ones I own do (mine range from 1981 to 2000).
tpa
Posted 2023-09-07 12:31 PM (#558591 - in reply to #558577)

Thank you for correcting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)