The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Return of the Smelly Guitar case

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

kentrookie
Posted 2022-12-05 4:09 PM (#557877)
Subject: Return of the Smelly Guitar case

Return of the Smelly Guitar case
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=50860&posts=5#M557810

Pictures 1-6 are in Album "Smelly Guitar Case and Repair"

After exposing the 8117 case to the sun (to remove the *** awful smell) ,the case flopped opened and the nylon stays pulled out of the top part of the case.

So.....using a putty knife I went arount the case lid and popped out the padding liner.

Tried to use gorilla glue to resecure the straps to the top of the case.... hoping the glue would stiffen the nylon so it would grip the lid when clamped .... 

This did not work (read fail)...... so off to find my rivet gun.

To be continued

Edited by kentrookie 2022-12-05 4:26 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2022-12-06 7:05 AM (#557878 - in reply to #557877)
Subject: Re: Return of the Smelly Guitar case

Before you go poking holes in your case, try some contact cement. The yellow, solvent-based, in the glass bottle crap. Nasty stuff, but it pretty much glues together different materials pretty securely. And, good job with the puttyknife- that's a real accomplishment, to begin with!
seesquare
Posted 2022-12-06 7:10 AM (#557879 - in reply to #557877)

Oh, and another thing to consider. Those old cases get pretty brittle, so I'm not real sure a poprivet will hold the strap without cracking the shell. It just might make the situation more problematic & contribute to the repair list. Jus' sayin'......
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-12-06 9:19 AM (#557880 - in reply to #557877)

Rivets are at least better than duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties and vice grips.. but I go with seesquare on the contact cement (assuming the one with the little angled rubber thingy applicator?). That stuff has been gluing the planet together since before school rooms had tile floors. Then, of course, is the faithful 527 glue-it-all in the tube. I had a tube leak a few weeks back which left a thick spot on my workbench that required a Cat D-9 and dynamite to remove like John Wayne with a flaming oil well. Both are good multi purpose glues if used correctly and allowed to fully set up.
seesquare
Posted 2022-12-06 7:47 PM (#557882 - in reply to #557880)

Y'know, I just looked that stuff up (527 glue). Looks promising. I may have to trundle mesef down to The Olde Hardware Shoppe and get a tube. Thanks for the suggestion, LOF. The Duke was never one to take half-measures, either!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)