The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Pay $400 for mothership repair of $800 guitar?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Fleet
Posted 2007-09-17 7:15 PM (#81412)
Subject: Pay $400 for mothership repair of $800 guitar?

Hi everybody. The title says it all really. Just doing a sanity check.

I have an Ovatin s771 that I bought for $800 a couple of years ago. I sent it into the mothership for repair, and I got the estimate today in the mail. $350+$45 shipping. I have no issue with the price for the work to be performed. I just didn't expect that much work to be performed!

The quote was to Repair/Refinish the Top, Replace Bridge, Level/Dress Frets, Set Action. That's a lot of work for sure. I don't think I can haggle with the Mothership on pricing. I take it as a take it or leave it kind of deal. Anyone have success talking them down a bit? I really was expecting this to be around $250!

If this were an expensive Ovation, I would not hesitate to do it. BUT, this is an $800 Ovation that is out of production and not a hot seller. I would imagine I could talk down a Guitar Center for a pretty decent deal on a new one.

Right now, my instinct is to forget about repairing this guitar. I have fond memories of it, and will definately miss it - my first real Ovation.

Is there any reason to consider repairing this guitar? I'm not sure I'll ever buy another Ovation after this one - the playability is wonderful, and it sounds great plugged in, but the quality is a bit lacking. I babied this guitar, and it lasted 2 years.

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-09-17 7:29 PM (#81413 - in reply to #81412)
Subject: Re: Pay $400 for mothership repair of $800 guitar?

Professional repairs on relatively inexpensive guitars will always seem excessively high. That's just the way it is, labour costs are an absolute and not goverened by the original purchase price of the guitar.
Fleet
Posted 2007-09-17 7:33 PM (#81414 - in reply to #81412)

Yes, I agree. I have no issue with the price for the work being done. Its just more work than I expected to be needed! I believe that is a fair estimate by all counts.

That being said, I'm disappointed that I will have to write off this guitar that I liked so much.

No fault of the Mothership. They are absolutely being fair in their appraisal and quote.

If they hadn't found something wrong with the bridge, I would probably be able to afford the repairs as it would have been less than $400. I don't think I can talk them down (and don't expect them to want to do charity work).
dvd
Posted 2007-09-17 9:41 PM (#81415 - in reply to #81412)

hmm, sounds like it comes down to whether any sentimental value of the guitar is worth the $150 differential between what you expected to pay and the final estimate.

And if you choose to sell it unfixed, will you be able to get enough for it to satisfy your sense of its value? Seems to me you're gonna take a double-bath on it if you go this route. You lose the guitar and the difference in value.

I know $150 means different things to different people.. you'll have some time to sock away some cash while they're doing the work.. maybe you can budget for it?

I've got way more invested into one of my guitars than I will ever be able to sell it for, but it doesn't matter to me.. I have exactly what I want and no intent to sell it anytime soon.

Best of luck with your decision!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-09-18 2:56 AM (#81416 - in reply to #81412)

I'm just looking at what they wanna do... And basically they wanna rebuild the Guitar for you.
That could be a Good Thing.
I would think that you can contact them and tell them exactly what you want done.
(I don't know what the original problem was that caused you to send it to be fixed...)

I sent my guitar in for a neck reset... They wanna rebuild the whole guitar...
I told them to go for it! (btw - I'm poor)
But I am sure that they will just do what you ask.

But this might be like getting a tattoo...
It's $50 just to set-up the gun, plus the first hour labor!
Don't matter if you want your son's name or a Harley Shield,
Pretty much the same price.
[some folks might not get the analogy :confused: ]
Fleet
Posted 2007-09-18 7:28 AM (#81417 - in reply to #81412)

When I received the quote, I was surprised at the amount of work to be done, and disappointed enough to write off my guitar. now that I've calmed down a bit, I'm thinking it may just be worth it to do the repairs. While it is not a $1500 superduper Ovation, it is MY ovation, and I do like it a lot. It is very unique, as it was not a hot seller and does not look like every other one out there. And more importantly I enjoy playing it.

For $400, I would get a rebuilt one, and set up properly. I need to do some math to figure out my budget and see if I can make a decision.

Good analogy with that tattoo, by the way.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-09-18 8:39 AM (#81418 - in reply to #81412)

I know this is water under the bridge, but for future reference, Lost Art could have shaved A LOT off the $800 price you paid, like 20% or more based on my experience. Unless you had to have cedar. I paid an extra $100 for the tear drop burst, and still came in well under $800 including shipping.

I also bought mine in the last 2 years, but I thought the S771 was among the top selling models. Is it not?
alpep
Posted 2007-09-18 8:55 AM (#81419 - in reply to #81412)

one thing we can be thankful for is a great service department.
their costs may seem high but if you want quality work you have to pay for it.
I would much rather spend the money there know the job will get done right and they will stand behind it than send the guitar to some guy that will give you crap about Ovations.

makes $ense to me.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-09-18 9:10 AM (#81420 - in reply to #81412)

Maybe the question to be asked is whether or not you could replace the guitar for the value of the repairs. You will end up with an essentially like new model with sentimental history for $400. Do you think you could find similar value by purchasing something else?
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-09-18 1:12 PM (#81421 - in reply to #81412)

Originally posted by ProfessorBB:
Maybe the question to be asked is whether or not you could replace the guitar for the value of the repairs. You will end up with an essentially like new model with sentimental history for $400. Do you think you could find similar value by purchasing something else?
I had two guitars fixed by the factory and both came back absolutely like new. If the bridge is shot, the guitar has lost much of its value. You can't get a comparable guitar for $400, so fixing it does make sense.

Rather than trying to get the factory to reduce the repair price, you could try to get some extra service at no extra charge. I would ask for a gloss finish, a New England Burst color and perhaps an old style mother of pearl rosette. John/Kim might do that although the rosette might add a bit to the price. Once it's done though, you'll have a totally unique guitar.

The factory does take credit cards for payment.

I've posted this photo a few times before, but take a look at what a factory re-finish can look like:
Fleet
Posted 2007-09-18 2:27 PM (#81422 - in reply to #81412)

I called the mothership, and I've decided to go ahead and get the recommended repairs done for my guitar. They are very nice, and I'm convinced I'll be getting basically a better than new condition guitar back. Especially nice since this model is out of production now. I looked around on the ebay, and there's not much out there for $400, and resale value wouldn't be a whole lot for my guitar as is.

Besides, I'll do my part for the environment, and recycle this guitar. :)

Thanks for all the replies, they really were convincing on the quality of the mothership repair.
Erniewan
Posted 2007-09-18 2:44 PM (#81423 - in reply to #81412)

The only down side, is the mother ship always turns "players" into "pieces of furnature."

My 90 collectors came back about a month ago, it needed everything, new neck, yes new, they had a NOS replacement there, bracing issues, polish, set up, and the OP24 bounced out of the bowl and cracked up the preamp when i first bought it.

it is now a museum piece, better than new.

you won't be disappointed with their service.

and yes, make sure you call Al before you purchase any new Ovation.
Steve
Posted 2007-09-18 2:44 PM (#81424 - in reply to #81412)

Fleet, post some 'before' and 'after' photos for us..
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-09-18 4:18 PM (#81425 - in reply to #81412)

Very Good Decision! The best service Department on the planet, bar none! Worth every penny/nickel/dollar!
;)
BruDeV
Posted 2007-09-18 4:49 PM (#81426 - in reply to #81412)

The question you have to ask youself is: Am I going to get $400 more use out of it?
A matter of value instead of cost.
Fleet
Posted 2007-11-29 7:51 AM (#81427 - in reply to #81412)

I know its been a little while, but I'll update this thread. I received my s771 back from the Mothership yesterday. The guitar looks better than it did when I brought it home from Guitar Center! They really did a wonderful job. Really, its great. The fret leveling and low setup is just perfect. It plays like an Ovation should, I suppose. I am very thankful for the wonderful job done by the factory and Mr.Budny, who was very helpful throughout the repair process.

It was a bit expensive, as I had to pay for the repair and shipping to/from. Shipping was $100 total by itself. But I would definately do it again if required.

:D
brainslag
Posted 2007-11-29 7:57 AM (#81428 - in reply to #81412)

pics?
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2007-11-29 8:30 AM (#81429 - in reply to #81412)

I have had 2 guitars restored at the mothership previously, have 2 there now waiting for assessment and repairs, and will probably be sending another 1 or 2 up after the holidays...

if FMIC is still allowing the fantastic level of customer service that we have all come to know and love with John and Kim at the mothership to continue.

compared to the quotes and turn-around times that I have gotten from other Luthiers, shops, or Techs that were even willing to consider working on an Ovation, the final cost was always lower, and my expectations were always met and exceeded by the Artisans at Ovation.

support for parts/replacements from John has always been a positive event, and customer service is always a pleasure to deal with.

Realize that none of my Os or As have been new or warrantied, but that hasn't mattered, I have always been treated/served better by them than ANYONE else in any other business..

my 1537 and 69 shiny 12 will cost more to repair/refinish each than I probably have in the pair total.... but knowing that the level of care and skill and attention being given to them is second to none and that it will be Stunning when returned. Makes all the difference in the world.

as I've ALWAYS said when dealing with John, Kim, or anyone else at the factory.....

Best Service on the Planet! period.

worth every penny.

let's hope it stays that way with the new Boss.

GH

oh yeah.... we do want some pics. glad you're happy with the work.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-11-29 10:59 AM (#81430 - in reply to #81412)

Originally posted by Erniewan:
[M]ake sure you call Al before you purchase any new Ovation.
I've discovered he also knows a little something about Hamer and Takamine guitars, too.
bvince
Posted 2007-11-29 1:44 PM (#81431 - in reply to #81412)

You can never go wrong by sending an instrument to the factory for rework. If you look at the cost of a new instrument, and take into consideration that your top has already had the invaluable "opening up" and will end up with a custom set-up and tweeking, your instrument is acually worth much more than than a new one.
Akami
Posted 2007-11-29 9:49 PM (#81432 - in reply to #81412)

Originally posted by Steve:
Fleet, post some 'before' and 'after' photos for us..
+1

Really love to see how it turned out!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-29 10:07 PM (#81433 - in reply to #81412)

Just another testimonial... I know I paid too much for my Pacemaker, it had been through alot.

But it was worth every penny to get it fixed. And in the long run, I could not have bought a better new guitar for what I put into this one.

And some Classic Guitars you just cannot buy. But you can get the old one reborn.

And we are ALL waiting for the pics! :cool:
Joyful Noise
Posted 2007-11-30 2:22 AM (#81434 - in reply to #81412)

I've owned an S771 since 2004 and its still the most played guitar out of the three acoustic and two electric guitars I own. I 'd appreciate seeing pictures as well.

I consider myself mostly an electric player but the 771 has been my workhorse learning tool since I bought it and it's the one guitar I'd have a hard time replacing because of its playability and sound balance.

And I never even plug it in. It's got a balance of tone unplugged that best matches the sound of an electric guitar amplified, at least in my opinion anyway. It's just a joy to play, especially tuned to Eb with with .012's. I use .011's on my electrics so that makes it a pretty good match in playability as well.

But sooner, rather than later its gonna need some fret work, the finish is already completely glossy. Did you have yours refinished in the original satin?
bvince
Posted 2007-11-30 8:13 AM (#81435 - in reply to #81412)

I wish these and other previous posts about the service department could be seen by the new owners. They really need to know what a great bunch of people they have working there and how important it is to not rattle the cage.
Beal
Posted 2007-11-30 8:25 AM (#81436 - in reply to #81412)

you made the right decision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)