The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Tuners and buttons for 1114-4

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Frankv
Posted 2021-12-09 11:13 PM (#556577)
Subject: Tuners and buttons for 1114-4

I have a Ovation 1114-4 which needs new tuner buttons. I have been told that my guitar came with M6 tuners by Schecter (sic). Can anyone verify this so I can find the right buttons for my guitar? Also, might just put on new tuners that are an upgrade to what is on there now if I can find some at a reasonable price. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DetlefMichel
Posted 2021-12-11 5:54 AM (#556581 - in reply to #556577)
Subject: Re: Tuners and buttons for 1114-4

The M6 tuners are not made by Schecter but by SCHALLER. Would still be the best replacement, don´t ever use cheap tuners. And original or not... worn out tuners are as recommendable as the original tyres on an old car. If they still run smooth and precise, just exchange the buttons, you can buy these as spare parts at SCHALLER, too. You can buy Schaller M6 nearly anywhere but watch for the right style, there are different types of chassis. Thus you may use the old drill holes. You also find them often on eBay.
I have Schaller M6 or M6 minis on all of my guitars.
Frankv
Posted 2021-12-11 8:29 AM (#556582 - in reply to #556577)

Thanks Michel. Yeah, I knew Schecter wasn’t right and didn’t check for the right name. My bad. Thanks for your info. In my search for these small buttons I have learned a lot about my guitar. I have decided to probably just replace the tuners as my guitar is quite old and the tuners are a bit finicky. Thanks again for your help. Merry Christmas!
keldon85
Posted 2021-12-11 11:51 AM (#556583 - in reply to #556577)

Assuming the model number is correct, the 1114 is a slot-head Folklore. I got a very used one from the early 70s a couple of years ago and needed to replace the tuners. Getting an exact replacement was a bit difficult, as it seems that Schaller quit making the enclosed gear slot-head tuners for steel strings. I got some NOS Schaller tuners from Lost Art Vintage that used the same mounting holes as the originals. Apparently, some of the earliest 1114's used a version meant for classical guitars that had a nylon bushing over the tuning shaft (like mine), but in the mid-70a they used a version with just the metal shaft for winding the string. With the shaft being thinner without the nylon cover, tuning is more precise.

While the NOS tuners that I am using are better than the originals, they are not as smooth as I am used to, so I got some Schaller open-geared tuners for slot-head steel-string instruments recently from Stew-Mac. These have the same shaft diameter (6 mm) as the originals, so they will work with the brass bushings for the tuners that I already have. If you decide to go the non-NOS route, make sure the new tuner shafts have the same 6mm diameter so you can re-use the existing bushings on the inside of the tuner slots. I will have to re-drill the headstock for the new mounting screws, but I have done that numerous times before on other instruments.
Frankv
Posted 2021-12-11 4:17 PM (#556586 - in reply to #556577)

Thanks for the info. Yes, my guitar is a 1972 Folklore, and does indeed have the nylon bushing over the shaft. As you can imagine they’re pretty worn out by now. The NOS tuners sound good. I don’t really want to be drilling new holes if possible. I’ll check them out. Thanks again for your time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)