The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

evvignes
Posted 2010-10-09 2:44 AM (#2743)
Subject: New Member

Hello moderators,
My name is Victor, I am 43 and have been playing guitar close to 30 years. I also sing, write music and have been playing solo gigs rather sporadically since 1985.(bars and parties etc.) I joined a while ago, but did not post due to minor eye surgery. This is a rundown of my instruments:
-Ovation 1984 collectors(has been putting martins, taylors etc. to shame on stage for many years)
-Ovation 1985 collectors(joined OFC to purchase this guitar from member OMC. Great guitar, not as good as 84 collectors)
-Ovation 1612, early 80s(possibly my favorite. I refer to this one as my, "life lessons guitar" why?: 1. Left it in a van after a gig, it froze, top finish cracked. 2. Lent to relative, did not get it back for 3 years. 3. Fell of stage wearing it, minor damage to me, guitar OK. 4. Lent to crack head who pawned it within 30 min.. Did not know he was a crack. 5. Called girlfriend a parasite. She smashed the top with her fist.
Even though the 1612 is badly cracked, it still plays and sounds great. Hope I can refrain from doing anymore stupid things that damage my guitar.
-Ovation FD14 11/50{I am still in a sureal state of dis-belief that I actually own one. Purchased from an individual in canada about 1 month ago. Apparently this one slipped by the OFC members)
-Eastman ac610 cutaway(amazing quality from a chinese company. Striped maple back/sides, ebony fretboard/bridge. Embarrassingly good)
-Martin backpacker(brought it on a cruise etc., served its purpose)
-1975 stratocaster hardtail
-1979 les paul standard tobacco burst
-1997 gibson custom shop es336 cherry burst
-Schecter c-1 elite black(90% as good as the prior three. Looks, sounds and plays fantastic)
-casio synth(mid 80s)
-boss dr110 drum machine(mid 80s)
-honer strat(crappy)

I've been a reluctant ovation fan for many years, but now I love them. Best all around acoustic made(except for maybe adamas)

Oh yeah, I do have a question: What are the best strings, sound being the number one priority, for a FD14?

If you made it this far, thanks for listening.

Your Pal, Victor
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-10-09 9:07 AM (#2744 - in reply to #2743)
Subject: Re: New Member

Victor, welcome. Great stories about your guitars. We've got one member here who has a 1984 Collectors that acoustically, sounds wonderful (much better than a super shallow bowl should). He's never sell it either.

As for strings, as many members as there are here, there are opinions. There's no right or wrong answer, just what works best for you. I've got an FD14 (wonderful instrument) and besides strings, the other variable is where you play with your right hand. I used to always anchor it, regardless of the guitar, on the bridge. I've learned to let it float and with the FD14, I've found that the closer you play to the soundhole, the deeper and more mellow the sound.

Good luck with your search....
evvignes
Posted 2010-10-09 3:53 PM (#2745 - in reply to #2743)

Thank you for the welcome, I have learned a lot from this site. Especially, what an FD14 is and that I should grab it quickly.

The 84 collectors does seem to be more than the sum of it's parts. The 85 collectors SSB is very similar but I believe the tonal difference is due to different quality tops. The 85 has a rather wide grain(mostly covered by the burst) "A" grade spruce sound board. The 84 has a "AAA" spruce top with a sort of cross cut muted flame that I haven't seen in other 84 photos. I believe this has a lot to do with it's exceptional sound.

I appreciate your advice on where to strum. I pick or strum a guitar from behind the nut to against the bridge(sometimes behind if its an archtop) based on song, venue or desired effect. For example, I will strum hard with a med to heavy pick, over the sound hole(or middle of a multi-hole), if I am dealing with a large/noisy room and no PA.

I understand there are many different opinions on strings, but thats what i'm hoping for. The absolute best strings for one of the best sounding guitars out there.(FD14)

A good as the FD14 is, it's made me realize how good my smashed up 1612 is. Though not a top model it plays, sounds and looks great. I consider it the best looking guitar I own. Any comments on what I consider a "sleeper" model?

Possibly usefull tip: If you lend a guitar and that person pawns it, don't tell the cops you "lent" it. It then becomes a civil matter and they won't arrest. I also don't recommend chasing them with a baseball bat. Cops arrest for that one.

Thank you.
Your pal, Victor
evvignes
Posted 2010-10-20 8:35 PM (#2746 - in reply to #2743)

Dear Moderators,
I am not able to post outside of the welcome area.

Your Pal,
Victor
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2010-10-21 1:45 AM (#2747 - in reply to #2743)

You should be all set.
MWoody
Posted 2010-10-21 8:54 AM (#2748 - in reply to #2743)

Was it the baseball bat reference that did it Miles?

Welcome Victor!
evvignes
Posted 2010-10-21 1:13 PM (#2749 - in reply to #2743)

You guys............Thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)