The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Newbie and a 12 string brace question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

dabbler
Posted 2021-11-30 11:59 AM (#556490)
Subject: Newbie and a 12 string brace question

Hi All,

Thanks for letting me join and happy to be a member.

Earlier this year I got a 1975 Ovation Custom Balladeer in rough shape for super cheap, but liked the guitar and remembered old ovations being pretty cool when I was younger ( this guitar is my age) - getting back into playing after a looong hiatus . Anyway, the bridge lifted in the first week after changing out the old strings - I ended up replacing the bridge and doing some top rebuild under the bridge - my first big acoustic guitar project! Anyway guitar sounds great now, looks OK, and realized working on it was half the fun.

So a month ago I picked up a 1981 Ovation custom legend 12 string (i think right model) anyway its a 1658 (12 fret ) with a beautiful brown sunburst. This was in exceptionally rough shape with multiple top cracks all the way through and a brace pulled away on one side that created all the damage. So after another 150 or so bucks in deep throat clamps and materials I think I have it almost back to playable/stable condition. However before I finish up I wanted to check a couple things with this group.

So my question is the following: On this guitar there is a T style brace above the sound hole (parallel to the neck) but on the bottom side of the sound hole there is a only a flat brace (about 1/8 thick?) but no piece to make a T brace on this side. Does anyone with a 1658 know it is supposed to have a T brace on the lower side? Easy to add and figured I should do that before I polish up and restring etc.... if it was original.

OH and 2 other quick ones: 1) rosette is a mess in 4 pieces- any ideas on the type of glue best to secure to top? Plastic is quite fragile. 2) Any ideas on where to source a new stacked volume/tone? knob.

Picture of guitar before any work after removing electronics.

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dabbler
Posted 2021-12-07 4:54 PM (#556548 - in reply to #556490)
Subject: Re: Newbie and a 12 string brace question

Just following up? Was wondering if anyone had any info on the brace question above? Searched the forums with no luck.

Also just for clarity when I say "top of soundhole " I mean from a playing position.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)