The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation repair shop alternatives?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

leodin
Posted 2021-11-21 5:28 PM (#556451)
Subject: Ovation repair shop alternatives?

Hi,

Tried to reach the Ovation repair service. Seems that the CT shop I used few times in the past decades is not there any more... Contacting info@ovationguitars.com (response actually from gewamusicusa.com) just suggested to find a local luthier.

Where art though John Budny? You're sorely missed.

Anyhow, here's the problem:

I recently acquired an Ovation Classic Contour 2073 LX; '07; I tried to adjust the neck/bridge to get rid of the string buzz and get a reasonable action setting. Not much of success - I think that the frets were either sanded down or replaced (visible tool marks on the fretboard), and are probably not in spec. Compared with my older Ovation classical ('84 and '95) - the frets on the older models seem to be higher, and slightly different in shape.

Really feel that this instrument should be looked at by somebody who knows Ovations in and out.

Any advice or suggestion appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2021-11-22 9:47 PM (#556452 - in reply to #556451)
Subject: Re: Ovation repair shop alternatives?

Where are you located?

In the Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa AZ area I have been getting work done at the Guitar Service Center since Ovation went tits up. It's a small hole-in-the-wall shop owned and run by Brendan Dezember, but what this guy does is amazing and his prices are more than reasonable. I've had him tackle a wide range of issues on my Ovations including neck resets, bridge reattachment, re-fretting, etc. and it's all been top notch work. He doesn't have the equipment to do some of the refinishing and "spa treatments" like the factory would have done. But if you are looking for solid repair work on Ovations (or any brand) I highly recommend Brenden.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2021-11-23 9:50 AM (#556453 - in reply to #556451)

In SoCal, the person I would recommend (altho' guitar repair is not job) is not working on guitars right now. But the alternative is a guy named Paul Stebner ( https://www.guitarremedy.com/ ) at Guitar Remedy. Good guy who knows what he's doing......
alpep
Posted 2021-11-23 1:11 PM (#556454 - in reply to #556451)

I can hook you up with a couple of the former employees that do work
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-23 1:45 PM (#556455 - in reply to #556451)

Hello, Everyone,
It's good to know that Ovation guitars can still be repaired in the USA, but what about Ovation guitar repairs in CANADA, and other parts of the world? Do Ovation guitars in these countries just end up falling apart, and/or beyond repair? I've encountered some local guitar luthiers who don't like/won't work on Ovation guitars. I don't know why. I'm just asking.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-23 1:45 PM (#556456 - in reply to #556451)

Hello, Everyone,
It's good to know that Ovation guitars can still be repaired in the USA, but what about Ovation guitar repairs in CANADA, and other parts of the world? Do Ovation guitars in these countries just end up falling apart, and/or beyond repair? I've encountered some local guitar luthiers who don't like/won't work on Ovation guitars. I don't know why. I'm just asking.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
FlySig
Posted 2021-11-23 3:11 PM (#556458 - in reply to #556451)

Basic work can be accomplished by any good luthier. Refretting is not done differently on an Ovation. A basic setup has no secret knowledge required other than perhaps knowing there are shims under the piezo saddle, but that is not unique.

Standingovation
Posted 2021-11-23 3:15 PM (#556459 - in reply to #556451)

I think any high quality luthier could do most work on Ovations. Maybe a neck reset on some of the older ones might require unique knowledge but that's probably the extent of it.
Love O Fair
Posted 2021-11-23 6:57 PM (#556460 - in reply to #556451)

There are many people who demonstrate their luthier work on video sites like YouTube etc. You can check them out and see what they have to offer, and also be able to message them for any advice they may have on where to take it in your own local area.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2021-11-23 8:08 PM (#556461 - in reply to #556454)

alpep - 2021-11-23 1:11 PM

I can hook you up with a couple of the former employees that do work

Al I'd appreciate it if you'd share some names of people you know who are skilled at working on Ovation/Adamas guitars, I don't have anyone locally who is any good and when I write to guitar repair shops I find online they either don't want to work on Ovations or are fairly clueless about their designs.

2wheeldrummer
Posted 2021-11-23 8:08 PM (#556462 - in reply to #556454)

Mike S.
I think it depends on the country and if they can find someone who knows Ovations
I imagine in Japan there are a few people who know what they are doing,Arumako sounds like he's good at fixing up old O's for people and I suspect in other countries if you can find the right person the guitars can be fixed but I suspect its like auto mechanics you have to find the one who knows your brand to get it done right.

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2021-11-23 8:16 PM
nerdydave
Posted 2021-11-23 11:29 PM (#556465 - in reply to #556451)

What Standing Ovation said!
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-23 11:34 PM (#556466 - in reply to #556462)

Hello, 2 wheeeldrummer,
Thanks for the kind reply. Like yourself, I may be having a hard time finding a good local guitar tech who knows something about working on Ovation guitars. I'll probably try to look up my former guitar tech again at some point, because he was, and still is, the best one in working on my Ovation guitar; however, I'm not sure whether he is still working at all, because we are, sadly, in the 4th wave of unowat here in Ontario.?!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

leodin
Posted 2021-11-24 10:17 AM (#556467 - in reply to #556452)

Yes, forgot to mention the geography - I live in Pittsburgh PA; otherwise I'd gladly take your recommendation.

Have been asking around here. Couple of reputable luthiers, although no specific knowledge on Ovations. I'm sure that either one has knowledge and experience to address the issue.

What would make me more comfortable with the choice is if I knew the spec details; i.e. which fret wire was originally used in the factory? nut dimensions / tolerances... stuff like that. That would be very helpful to restore the instrument to the original condition.

I didn't find any such references... I can only hope that these things are not lost.
FlySig
Posted 2021-11-24 3:37 PM (#556472 - in reply to #556451)

Original dimension fretwire is not made now afaik. There are numerous good options of similar dimensions. Likely you would want to do a complete refret. The nut is a standard dimension.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)