The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Cape-oh, or Cap-oh, or Uh-oh?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-04 1:24 PM (#556375)
Subject: Cape-oh, or Cap-oh, or Uh-oh?

Hello, Everyone,
As stated in a previous post, my friend/mentor, Bruce, has generously offered to buy me a brand new G7 Performance 3 Capo for Christmas. ( I picked the black satin one, BTW. The G7 website people from UK pronouce it, as, "CAP-oh", which to me is the Italian word for a Mafia Wiseguy, and this come from my pastor and deacon, who are Italian, so... but I digress.) I'm not a, "capo guy," and I'd like to know if any OFC members use this particular brand of capo. I've seen/heard mixed reviews on it. I only have just the one old style Jim Dunlop Curved Ratcheted Capo, without the buckle, which I have used very sparingly, since I purchased it many moons ago. I did eventually get the newer Jim Dunlop model with the buckle, but I lost it when I moved from my home town to Ottawa in 1992. Thanks in advance for the kind help with this matter.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2021-11-04 2:56 PM (#556377 - in reply to #556375)
Subject: Re: Cape-oh, or Cap-oh, or Uh-oh?

Capos are wonderful device and I use one a lot. The problem I have with G7 capos is that they are very heavy. Try a Shub or a Kyser. Lighter and easier to use. And if you've got somebody buying you one, have him get you one of these https://massstreetmusic.com/products/elliott-capos-1-3-4-elite-push-... You'd never spend that kind of money on yourself.......
Love O Fair
Posted 2021-11-04 6:55 PM (#556381 - in reply to #556375)

To quote Glen Campbell, "Capos open up a whole new world for things that are otherwise physically impossible."
I have one that I found in the case pocket of a guitar I bought some years ago that is made of graphite and weighs practically nothing. Not sure the brand of it, but it does a great job. Another spring-clamp one I like is very lightweight and ergonomically efficient for quick change. My wife bought it... somewhere.. and again, not sure the brand name, but the logo on the hinge joint is an underlined "CC". It performs excellent and came with two interchangeable dampener strips.. soft and rigid.
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-04 10:59 PM (#556384 - in reply to #556381)

Hey, Moody, P.I., and Love O Fair,
Thanks for comments and new information. I didn't know that GC felt that way about capos. One really learns a lot on this site! As of this writing, I've more or less already taken up the offer of my friend/mentor Bruce for the G7 Performance 3, as I've seen him use it on his guitar in our music sessions. He has the silver Performance 3 curved model. I tried both the Shubb, and the Keyser, back in the day when I was working/ teaching in the local music store in my home town, and went with the Jim Dunlop models, including the clunky old Dunlop elastic style one! When the elastic broke on it, I got the first Jim Dunlop ratcheted curved model, without the buckle, as I mentioned previously. I've rarely used it, until very recently, playing with Bruce, since I took up jazz guitar, and playing bass way back in high school. (Does anybody play bass with a capo? I suppose it could be done, but I wouldn't want to be the first one to try it.) The Elliot Capos would be way out of our league in CND, even for my friend Bruce, who makes mucho dinaro with his job as a, "fed'rul guv'mint", employee here in Ottawa. The underlined, "CC", brand sounds intriguing. I've never heard of that one, so I must check it out. Again, many thanks for the new information.
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-04 10:59 PM (#556385 - in reply to #556381)

Thanks for comments and new information. I didn't know that GC felt that way about capos. One really learns a lot on this site! As of this writing, I've more or less already taken up the offer of my friend/mentor Bruce for the G7 Performance 3, as I've seen him use it on his guitar in our music sessions. He has the silver Performance 3 curved model. I tried both the Shubb, and the Keyser, back in the day when I was working/ teaching in the local music store in my home town, and went with the Jim Dunlop models, including the clunky old Dunlop elastic style one! When the elastic broke on it, I got the first Jim Dunlop ratcheted curved model, without the buckle, as I mentioned previously. I've rarely used it, until very recently, playing with Bruce, since I took up jazz guitar, and playing bass way back in high school. (Does anybody play bass with a capo? I suppose it could be done, but I wouldn't want to be the first one to try it.) The Elliot Capos would be way out of our league in CND, even for my friend Bruce, who makes mucho dinaro with his job as a, "fed'rul guv'mint", employee here in Ottawa. The underlined, "CC", brand sounds intriguing. I've never heard of that one, so I must check it out. Again, many thanks for the new information.
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-04 10:59 PM (#556386 - in reply to #556381)

Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
FlySig
Posted 2021-11-05 11:29 AM (#556391 - in reply to #556375)

I use capos frequently. They allow one to play sort of "open" tunings without retuning. If just strumming, a capo doesn't buy a whole lot. But if you have walking bass lines or hammer-ons, you can't do that except with some unfretted strings. Capos are maligned as a way to play only simple cowboy chords in other keys (I used to think that!).

I have several D'Addario capos and like them.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2021-11-05 1:14 PM (#556392 - in reply to #556375)

Every interview Campbell did regarding his playing, he would point to his capo and state that he got a lot of work because he knew how tto use one and when he came into the studio, nobody else did. I like capos and use them from the 2nd fret up to the 7th fret all the time.....
BCam
Posted 2021-11-07 12:19 PM (#556408 - in reply to #556375)

It's only been fairly recently that I've become aware of using capos that don't cover all the strings and using one on combination with another.

Bob Dylan has been quoted as saying “Don’t need them. I can play in any key.” In addition to GC I've seen videos of Joan Baez and many others using a capo.
Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-07 4:12 PM (#556409 - in reply to #556408)

Hello, Everyone,
What Bob Dylan said. "Here endeth the lesson." (For me, anyway.)
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Mike S.
Posted 2021-11-07 4:12 PM (#556410 - in reply to #556408)

Hello, Everyone,
What Bob Dylan said. "Here endeth the lesson." (For me, anyway.)
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)