The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
12 string smooth back with a slight belly, is it worth fixing?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

WAK
Posted 2021-10-16 1:16 PM (#556301 - in reply to #556252)
Subject: Re: 12 string smooth back with a slight belly, is it worth fixing?

I did not know all that history, sounds much like what has happened at the company I work for, under private ownership it was great, sold to a corporation, it got ruined. I am a bit confused, you say listen to Beal but you have had your rosette replaced and a few guitars in for refresh.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WAK
Posted 2021-10-16 1:16 PM (#556302 - in reply to #556252)

I did not know all that history, sounds much like what has happened at the company I work for, under private ownership it was great, sold to a corporation, it got ruined. I am a bit confused, you say listen to Beal but you have had your rosette replaced and a few guitars in for refresh.
FlySig
Posted 2021-10-16 5:45 PM (#556304 - in reply to #556301)

I agree with Beal's advice to get it playable and enjoy it. He knows more than a little about Ovation guitars.

From my perspective, all I would consider from a cosmetic standpoint is replacing the rosette if it bothers you. Financially there is no gain to having a lot of work done on the guitar. Since it is not pristine currently, the resale value is for a played used instrument. If you fix the rosette it will cost a small amount of money, but you won't increase the value more than the cost. But I also don't believe you'd hurt the value by having it replaced, assuming it is properly done with an Ovation rosette.

The sentimental value is the biggest value to you, along with the joy you can have playing it. If the cosmetics of the rosette hurts your enjoyment then that is a good reason to have it replaced.

Beware the average luthier. They generally have no knowledge or appreciation for Ovations. They would be qualified to do a basic setup to include adjusting the truss rod, adjusting or replacing the nut, and dressing frets if needed. There are shims under the saddle which some luthiers are not aware of. You can pull one or more out to help the action. If you pull out too many it will buzz on the upper frets.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2021-10-17 11:00 PM (#556307 - in reply to #556296)

WAK - 2021-10-15 11:49 PM Jonmark Stone, it turned out looking great, not bad on the price either. What does DW mean? I wonder if the action can be lowered, it gets higher towards the 12th feet, I have never tried adjusting it. Did you tell mothership what to do or did they suggest what to do?

They did all the things I asked them to do.
Fortunately, neck action was good when I sent it in. Just cosmetic.
Plays like a dream.

Love O Fair
Posted 2021-10-20 7:26 PM (#556322 - in reply to #556252)

@FlySig - >>>I would abide Beal's advice.<<<

+1 to that.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)